• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Family-style Italian

jauster

Carmine's, baby! Why mess with a classic?

Some folks in my neighborhood (UES) seem to like Tony DiNapoli's on 2nd Avenue...you can eat outside, which is nice. Not on a day like today, of course, but, you know, in general. :raz:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Carmines is good but I love Dominick's in the Bronx!!!!

The subway fare has to go up quite a bit to make the trip not worth it!!!

also one from left field:

Gino's--Lex and 60th street.

this place hasn't changed much since the forties (I can vouch for since the sixties!).

not really family style--but the cooking is very good (huge menu) and the atmosphere is priceless.

Edited by JohnL (log)

• 2 years later...

I personally think Carmine's is horrific.. Your typical New Jersey Italian restaurant would be leaps better then Carmine's.. For me, red sauce Italian, I like Gino's on Lex.. Great Gnocci in there special sauce but, many things are really good.

In your area, I have recently heard good thing about Mitchel London Pizza on 39th. But I am all about Luzzo's on 13th and 1st these days.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Hey thanks.. I found a few really nice restaurants from El Salvador in Elizabeth.. Papusas are good.. Anyway, I have yet to go but, Mitchel London is getting mixed reviews so I would not rush there.. Have a great trip.

Edited by Daniel (log)