• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kebab-o-rama

philadining

It's hard to beat a good Kebab, and we've got a few cuisines to choose from: Afghani, Persian, Middle Eastern, Greek, Indian, more...

Sadly, we've lost Roya from Sansom Street, formerly one of my favorites, but I read that the former owner or manager of Roya has opened a not-so-traditional Persian spot out on the Main Line (Mediterranean Grill -870 W. Lancaster Ave., Bryn Mawr).

I've had lots of good ones, plenty of mediocre ones, but am having a hard time choosing faves. What do you folks like?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I've walked by the Aromatic House of Kabob a few times, but didn't go in until today.

gallery_23992_1576_70162.jpg

There are a few other Persian foods on the menu, but the bulk of it is kebabs, which can be served on pita, on rice, or on a salad.

There's a cooler with basic soft drinks, but with a couple of more interesting offerings.

gallery_23992_1576_38149.jpg

One hint: the yogurt soda says to "shake gently" but DON'T DO IT!! It is indeed separated-out, and does need mixing, but maybe a very gentle tip, or a stir with a straw after opening would do it. My version of a gentle shake caused it to erupt violently when uncapped, and suffice it to say, you don't really want yogurt soda spraying all over the place...

The flavor was pretty strong, sort of like an Indian Salty Lassi, very tangy, thick, yogurty, but with a slight carbonation. It actually went really well with the food, but was a bit too intense for me by the end.

To start, they brought a complmentary plate of marinated cucumber, tomato and onion salad.

gallery_23992_1576_14699.jpg

This was really great scooped up with the excellent, thin, fresh pita bread. A serving of yogurt sauce was good with this, and as a condiment with the kebabs.

Combo #2 is one skewer of "Koobideh" ( ground spiced beef) and one of Joojeh (marinated chicken.)

gallery_23992_1576_20646.jpg

Combo #3 is one skewer of "Koobideh" ( ground spiced beef) and one of Chenjeh (lamb.)

gallery_23992_1576_42520.jpg

All three types of kebabs were very good, if a tiny bit dry. The spicing was a little less-assertive than some I've had before. There's a note on the menu saying to ask for them spicy if want them that way, I'll have to try that. They were still pretty tasty, especially on top of the good salad. I think I might have liked the chicken the best, which is rarely the case for kebabs, they rarely stay juicy.

So these aren't my all-time favorite kebabs, but they're pretty good, and a decent value at about $13 for a HUGE platter with two generous kebabs and lots of salad or rice. It's a little less formal (and cheaper) than the Afghani places on the other side of this block of Chestnut. Of course, as a Persian restaurant, it offers different food than Afghani places, but there's some similarity.

I'll go back and try the kebabs more spicy, and on rice, a couple of platters went by us like that and they looked good.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

There's a cooler with basic soft drinks, but with a couple of more interesting offerings.

gallery_23992_1576_38149.jpg

One hint: the yogurt soda says to "shake gently" but DON'T DO IT!! It is indeed separated-out, and does need mixing, but maybe a very gentle tip, or a stir with a straw after opening would do it. My version of a gentle shake caused it to erupt violently when uncapped, and suffice it to say, you don't really want yogurt soda spraying all over the place...

The flavor was pretty strong, sort of like an Indian Salty Lassi, very tangy, thick, yogurty, but with a slight carbonation. It actually went really well with the food, but was a bit too intense for me by the end.

I like the yogurt soda (it's like carbonated doog/dough/however you spell it) but did you look at the sodium content? One bottle is like 50% of your daily salt. If you don't have high blood pressure before you drink it, you will afterwards...

Persian Grill in Lafayette Hill has fabulous kebobs, although I can never break away fromt the ground chicken one-- such a nice, garlic-lemon flavor. The real treat though, it the rice that it come with. Yum.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

Some allegiance - Andrew's already from "Rome".

nice  :angry:

As the man said, "love the one you're with." Besides, I haven't found any decent kebabs in Italy yet, so you should feel lucky.

Anyway, I agree with FIET that Persian Grill's kebabs are tops.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Persian Grill in Lafayette Hill has fabulous kebobs, although I can never break away fromt the ground chicken one-- such a nice, garlic-lemon flavor.  The real treat though, it the rice that it come with.  Yum.

I have had the Persian Grill on my list for a long time but have never gotten there. An Iranian doc I used to work with says that its a good place so who can argue with that?

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

DDC did Persian Grill once a year / year and half ago, and it was quite tasty.

As far as Andrew's allegiance goes, Italians don't do grilled meats, or if they do, I suspect it's in a much different way than Middle Eastern, Afghan, Persian, etc.

Thus far, I haven't heard of that aspect of their cuisine that does. Can anyone tell me otherwise?

As far as other cuisines with grilled meats, I'm dying for a Japanese yakiniku place in town.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Aromatic, between Front and Chestnut, is right near my office. I know the owner, Helen (who used to own Helena's at Front and Chestnut, who also used to bartend at Brasil's years ago).

Anyway, her mother cooks these outrageous specials. Order one of those. Homemade Persian food.

And, I love the Hummus. Better than my own...

They have a Hookah too.

Philly Francophiles

There is a much better place for kabobs than the Persian Grill within a stones throw from it. The Caspian Grill in is on Germantown Pike in Lafayette Hill in a small strip mall right next to the Persian Grill. The kabobs there are much less salty and dry and a much better buy. They do take out only, but the owner is trying to get zoning for a sit down restaurant.

As far as other cuisines with grilled meats, I'm dying for a Japanese yakiniku place in town.

Japanese "Yakiniku" = Korean BBQ

(the difference I think is only some of the seasonings)

Philly has some decent Korean BBQ right?

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

Japanese "Yakiniku" = Korean BBQ

(the difference I think is only some of the seasonings)

Philly has some decent Korean BBQ right?

Are they really the same thing?

Based on my limited experience with the 2 (once for yakiniku at Yakitori Taisho which may not count, about 3 times for Korean BBQ) I don't think of them as the same.

Based on further research just conducted mid-post, they are much closer than I thought. It's more of a mind-block as much as anything. And the seasonings, as mentioned.

The setup for Korean BBQ that I'm used to uses a buffet. At Yakitori Taisho I sat at a counter. I suspect the mental block may have as much to do with the style of service as much as anything.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Sadly, we've lost Roya from Sansom Street, formerly one of my favorites, but I read that the former owner or manager of Roya has opened a not-so-traditional Persian spot out on the Main Line (Mediterranean Grill -870 W. Lancaster Ave., Bryn Mawr).

Has anyone tried the place in bryn mawr? i can't picture where this is. i'm interested to know... or maybe i should just go check out since it's very close to home for me.

-- arice

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to Aromatic last night. You are right, the hummus is fab. There was also an excellent eggplant appetizer but not baba ganoush that we had a sample of... But the falafel had such an off-flavor that we could not eat it, even if we wanted to. One of my companions said they tasted old and refried. I feel like the batter was compromised. As for the kebabs, they were fine but not spiced enough for our liking, and the lamb was a bit too lamby for some of my companions. Kabobeesh is a much better value.

• 1 month later...
There is  a much better place for kabobs than the Persian Grill within a stones throw from it.  The Caspian Grill in is on Germantown Pike in Lafayette Hill in a small strip mall right next to the Persian Grill.  The kabobs there are much less salty and dry and a much better buy.  They do take out only, but the owner is trying to get zoning for a sit down restaurant.

I stopped by the Caspian Grill a couple of times recently and the owner is one of the nicest men I've ever met. He makes great kebabs (I had ground lamb and ground chicken, but he has all of the usual suspects) and all manner of salads, dips, and prepared foods. Plus, he has a generous sampling policy (look interesting? Go ahead! Have some! Oh, you liked that? Here's something else you might like!)

I enjoyed the allir allou (or maybe allou alir, and I'm mangling the spelling) -- basically a spiced-up potato casserole -- and his pumpkin pudding (really closer to pumpkin pie). His kebab platters are generous, as well; $9 or so will get you one very large kebab, a heaping portion of rice, pita, some tzatziki, and your choice of cucumber/Greek salads or tabbouleh.

He now has a permit for seating and is in the process of constructing a dining area, so it's still take-out only.

I will be fair and say that Persian Grill's rice is "better" -- by better I just mean more interesting, because of the crunchy bits they serve you from the bottom of the rice pot -- but Caspian Grill can certainly compete with its wider variety of foods and the personality of the owner.