• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burekas recipe?

When I graduated from high school, I traveled through Israel for about 6 weeks with most of my graduating class (about 30 of us). In the evenings, while touring or running from the kibbutz into Ashdod - it was common for everybody to grab a slice of pizza. Being lactose intolerant, I opted for a potato burekas. I loved the burekes.

Over the years, I've tried to recreate the burekas from memory. I make a couple of versions and we even sell them at work. For potato, I steam then mash the potatos and mix with a lot of caramelized onions, salt and black pepper. I also make a mushroom and onion version that's similar. For the dough I've always used puff pastry.

I know there is a Turkish version and a "Jewish" version. But does anybody know what the dough is that they use in Israel? Am I on the right road or should I be using phyllo (which is what I believe the Turkish ones are made with).

Are there any spices I should be using to give me an authentic flavour? Or is there nothing authentic about this and is it just an easier way to make what's quite similar to a knish?

Any thoughts or ideas?

- Pam

Try to get your hands on a copy of Olive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks. He has 3 recipes for boreka dough -- oil only, an oil and butter, and yogurt. He also has a bunch of fillings including potato. The book (which won a Beard award this year) is a compendium of recipes from Jewish communities around the world.

(I was recently given a copy of the book and I'm slowly working my way through it. It's a fascinating read. And the recipes I've tried have been a success)

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I will try and get a recipe for you.

BTW - There are different types of dough as Bloviatrix mentioned. It depends on what type of boreka you had. There are Turkish, Bukharan, Spanish, etc.

Some are made with puff pastry.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

The Ottoman Turks had their base in Algiers when the controlled Algeria. We have boureks. They are made with warka or something similar to fresh phyllo dough, puff pastry or pate brisee.

For your catering company I suggest using spring roll wrappers, they make an excellent substitute for warka in certain applications and they are available pre cut into small squares. Some Middle Eastern brands of puff pastry are avaliable cut into small squares as well. If your frying use the spring roll wrappers, if you are baking use the puff pastry squares. If you want to get fancy and have the time use warka or fresh phyllo dough.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Michelle - a recipe would be great thanks.. I like the ones I make... but I've been thinking about how much i enjoyed them in Israel and wonder if I could make a closer version. Maybe I'm already close and don't realize it so I keep thinking about something that doesn't exist!

Farid - I did a little googling before I posted and read about the differences between the different burekas. I'd say the Israeli versions i had were definately closer to a puff than a spring roll wrapper. I'm open to trying some different things though. I do prefer baking than frying.. and am sure they were baked. Plus.. I have the added issue of only being able to get certain kosher things. I can get kosher puff, I can't get kosher fresh phyllo.

One of the other reasons I'm thinking about this is that we seem to be getting more and more Israeli customers - I've been dealing with various companies to try to bring in more Israeli products for my store and somebody has requested that i bring in some frozen bourekas from the Holy land. Michelle - do you know of any good products?

My thought was that if I baked ones that were close to the ones you can enjoy in the streets of Jaffa and Tel Aviv and Jerusalem et al. then they could just buy mine!

Pam,

I will get you a list of brands by the end of the week. I am going to the supermarket on Wednesday.

All of the commercial brands are made with puff pastry made with parve puff pastry. Of course, if you are making cheese burekas, then it doesn't matter.

However, the Bukharan burekas are made with warka. I am going to a Bukharan restaurant tonight. I will try to remember to bring my camera.

Thanks Michelle.

I use a really good parve puff pastry (I think).

Warka seems like it's not something I can make myself for large production... and I'm guessing I can't get my hands on any either. Is it really that close to phyllo? I already do a bunch of things in phyllo... I just call them brilliant things like "Mushroom phyllo triangles".

Thanks Michelle. 

I use a really good parve puff pastry (I think).

Warka seems like it's not something I can make myself for large production... and I'm guessing I can't get my hands on any either.  Is it really that close to phyllo?  I already do a bunch of things in phyllo... I just call them brilliant things like "Mushroom phyllo triangles".

I don't think warka is practical for catering unless you are an expert at making and working with it. You can buy them premade, but they are very fragile and you couldn't afford the waste. It is similar to phyllo. I am saying this because I don't want to start an debate about warka vs. phyllo. :wink: This what happens when you live in a country with a lot of opinions. I have a degree in International Relations, so sometimes I have to use my diplomatic skills. :smile:

I was not able to take pictures at the Bukharan (called Samarkand in South Tel Aviv) restaurant last night, but I asked about the dough for their Samsas and I found a recipe online:

http://kosherdelight.com/Pies9.htm

This dough is used for meat, potato, spinach and pumpkin fillings. I am sure you could use it for cheese and mushrooms, too.

BTW - The recipe for the filling in this recipe looks quite boring. The ones I had last night were seasoned with dill, garlic, onion and spices.

However, the one that I think you are most familiar with is the puff pastry version.

Pam,

Most of the mass-produced burekas are made by Tnuva. There main line is called Maadanim.

Thanks Michelle. I've already been in contact with them about bringing dairy products in - they passed me along to a distibutor, so we'll see what the product list has.

Thanks for all the homework! :biggrin:

Shabbat shalom.

umm.. I forgot to ask - are they any good?

Pam, Hi.....

Being as diplomatic as is possible (irony is often lost in cyberspace), when next you visit Israel I will be glad to point you in the direction of dozens of burrekas joints at which you sigh for pleasure as you munch on a bit of this and a bit of that delicious offering. And then I will let you taste some of the Tnuva burrekas.

umm.. I forgot to ask - are they any good?

Pam, Hi.....

Being as diplomatic as is possible (irony is often lost in cyberspace), when next you visit Israel I will be glad to point you in the direction of dozens of burrekas joints at which you sigh for pleasure as you munch on a bit of this and a bit of that delicious offering. And then I will let you taste some of the Tnuva burrekas.

I agree with Daniel and can also take you to probably the same bureka joints. But, for people who don't know any better.....

I actually expect tours from both of you when I return to Israel.. not just to be pointed in the right direction :raz:

I have had wonderful ones in Israel - that's where my love of them began. It was customers, not me who requested them. Here's the problem - our company is not under any hechsher. We use only kosher ingredients, and follow all the rules, but nobody stamps us as approved. (After about 19 years with supervision we decided not to continue the relationship). While we didn't lose most of our customers, the orthodox will not eat our food unless we've prepared it in a synagogue. For this reason (and others) I'm trying to get a good selection of products for that group. An Israeli had requested burrekas, so I thought I'd look into it. For myself... well honestly - I like the ones I make! (I just think the fillings could be seasoned differently and I'm not sure which way to take them)

• 4 weeks later...

Many Middle Eastern recipes in Israel have their origins in the former USSR republics such as Uzbekistan Jewish-Russian immigrants brought with them

In addition Russians immingrants have been credited to have brought shaurmas to Israel

http://www.angelfire.com/ct/DIVA/UzbekBread.html

Edited by piazzola (log)

...Russians immingrants have been credited to have brought shaurmas to Israel

As might be said in part of the United States, "no way"!

The first shwarma stands opened in pre-state Israel as long ago as the 1920s, and without exception those were opened by the already long-established Arab community of both Moslems and Christians in Haifa. With the arrival of immigrants from Greece (mostly Thessoliniki) and Turkey, shwarma stands opened in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and even Beef Sheba, eventually becing nearly as popular as felafel (and that, of course did not originate in Israel either).

Agreed that among the various USSR states there are many offerings similar to shwarma but those are not the ones that made their way to Israel.

Ok I stand corrected Daniel Rogov

I remember reading an article but can't point my finger where on internet it was about Russian immigrants to Israel claiming that.

Anyway,I have read that shaurma,bureki,chebureki,samsas, tavok could also be considered as a native dish as it is very popular in some Russian republics within its borders still contain peoples of Turkic speaking nations ie Tartarstan some peoples in the Caucasus etc.

Anyway, Ukrainian food is almost exactly replicated in Jewish food challach=kalach, vareniky=kreplak, deruny or nalisniky=latke, knydli=kneidl, borscht=borscht,blintzy=blintze...etc. matza beign and pork the only two exceptions that's makes the difference.

Edited by piazzola (log)