• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese named vegetable

Deleted 

Edited by kdl1221
Deleted (log)

~K

Thank you as well for the conversational haitus. I generally refrain from speach during gustation. There are those who attempt both at the same time. I find it coarse and vulgar.

Big Dan Teague

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

now you're driving me insane! i wish you'd taken a photo of this thingie. 'wei ting' ...wei ting....i'm going insane here! :) hahah... at first i thought it was 'Khoai Cao' [taro], but taro is purple. batata ['Cu San'] is crunchy and solid white on the inside so that's not a match. what the heck IS this? :) for sure it's a root, innit?

Did it look like this?

http://www.melissas.com/images/products/196a.jpg

The Vietnamese call taro root: khaoi mon

Have your friend write the word of the vegetable in the native language, then take a digital picture of it or scan it in and post it here. Does she know how it is grown and what the plant looks like?

Edited by mudbug (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Deleted

Edited by kdl1221
Delete (log)

~K

Thank you as well for the conversational haitus. I generally refrain from speach during gustation. There are those who attempt both at the same time. I find it coarse and vulgar.

Big Dan Teague

Deleted

Edited by kdl1221
Delete (log)

~K

Big Dan Teague

aha! i looked high and low now that you provided the photo and its scientific name [Xanthosoma sagittifolium]. the name in VN is 'Khoai Mon'. sorry no recipes but i've had it in savoury soup/dessert. i prefer it as dessert though.

Deleted

Edited by kdl1221
Delete (log)

~K

Big Dan Teague

• 5 months later...

It's definitely taro; the brown flecks you mentioned are typical. It's also used a lot in Cyprus, where it's cooked like a potato, and never cut but rather chipped into wedges. It's also never washed after peeling because it gets slick. The roots get quite large; at a certain age they begin producing offsets (which is what you have).

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

• 1 month later...
From what I have read about this veggie, it seems strange my friend used this with hamburger and carrots in spring rolls.

Raw!?

It can be pretty hard to tell the various "Elephant Ear" plants apart, especially when they are just tubers. Well, even after they grow up, they can be some of the toughest plants to differentiate.

The "malanga" name can also be confusing because it can be used for different plants depending on the second word. "malanga blanca" and "malanga lila" are different species of Xanthosoma. Malanga can also sometimes refer to taro.

Click for a round up of many of the names various edible relatives of Taro go by in different cultures.

BTW, your tuber looks like Taro (Colocasia esculenta) to me.

-Erik

edit - fix some stuff.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA