• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza in Little Italy

Kobi

I have seen a few places that always look solid, if not spectacular, but have never been able to pry myself away from my normal L.I haunts when I am there. Any pizza specific reccomendations?

thanks!

Kobi

It depends on your outlook.

Is it great compared to 99.99% of the pizza you can get across America? Absolutely.

Is it great compared to 90% of the pizza you can get in NYC? Absolutely.

Is it great compared to the other old school coal oven pizzerie in NYC (Patsy's East Harlem, Grimaldi's, Arturo's, etc.)? Not really.

Is it great compared to the top pizzerie in NYC (Franny's, Una Pizza Napoletana, Patsy's east Harlem, DiFara, etc.)? Absolutely not.

There is a very short thread on Lombardi's here. Lombardi's was also visited by the NYC Pizza Survey (discussion here). Other NYC pizza talk here in THE BEST: NYC Pizza Favorites.

--

Arturo's isn't far from Little Italy and has an old-school feel to it, so that could be a good option for you. Get the clam pie; you won't regret it!

Michael aka "Pan"

L'Asso was making some interesting pizza, but it seems to have closed again. After it closed some time ago, I passed by and it was open, but when I returned, it was closed again. At least it hasn't been open recently in the daytime. I haven't checked at night. I preferred it to Lombardi's.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.