• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

self made wine

chef koo

i was talking to a friend at work and he told me that he gets his own wine made. ther's a palce near where we live where you pay them for the juice and the bottles and the fermnet it for you. it costs $130-$170 for 30 bottles of wine with the bottles, the corks, the foil that goes on top, and the labels. i'm tempted to do this. anyone here have any expirience with this? is it worth it? for the most expensive one it'll come to about $5.67/bottle.

bork bork bork

It's called "custom bottling." You can provide your own wine, or the service will provide bulk wine for you, depending on how the service is set up. To decide whether or not it's worth it, you may want to ask to taste the wine first. :wink:

People often use this service to provide special bottles for anniversaries, weddings, etc.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

i was talking to a friend at work and he told me that he gets his own wine made. ther's a palce near where we live where you pay them for the juice and the bottles and the fermnet it for you. it costs $130-$170 for 30 bottles of wine with the bottles, the corks, the foil that goes on top, and the labels. i'm tempted to do this. anyone here have any expirience with this? is it worth it? for the most expensive one it'll come to about $5.67/bottle.

This is place that you can make wine for your own consumption near where I live. I don't know if they do large production for businesses though...

http://crushandstomp.com/index.html

It's called U-Brew and it is terrible stuff.

Every bottle I have tried tastes like cork taint.

Since I doubt every single cork they use is infected it must be the whole operation that is tainted with TCA.

slowfood/slowwine

A business which must be similar to what you mention opened here in Honolulu recently. In the interests of research for an article :biggrin:, we actually went through the entire process. We had a great time and the wine is certainly acceptable as table wine, never mind the fun of selecting the wine, designing your own label, etc. Here's the article.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.