• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cheap food creations for the dorm

happytechnogirl

We had lotsa food in the cafeteria on the meal plan (it's hard to mess up the salad bar and yogurt and cereal LOL!) and little time to cook, but my roommate made me my first tuna melt freshman year, using her (not allowed) toaster oven and cheese slices in our (allowed) mini fridge, she often skipped the cafeteria and ate this for lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you guys know that there's an article in the latest issue of Chow magazine entitled, "College Cooks Gone Wild, Creme Brulee in the microwave, and other desperate dorm room tricks." Kind of interesting! Be careful if you're on a dry campus and you attempt the Beer Biscuit recipe!

Edited to add: Oops! I got a little too excited... there's only 2 recipes in the article, but there is a website for more: www.chowmag.com/dormcooking

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

• 3 weeks later...

I just moved into the dorms two weeks ago, and I must say I'm suffering from kitchen withdrawl. The food here is hit and miss, but overall it's pretty bad. Tonight the vegetarian option at "five spice wok" (the UW's Asian themed restaurant in my dorm) was stir fried vegetables, rice and a rice cracker (like this: http://www.quakeroats.com/qfb_OurBrands/Br...cfm?BrandID=12) covered in teriyaki sauce :blink:

I have managed to get pretty creative with my rice cooker though. I made chazuke by cooking rice, then combining it with chazuke mix and pouring water that was heated in the rice cooker over it. I also made rice pudding by cooking rice, then adding in milk and sugar (sugar stolen from the cafeteria) and stirring it until it was more or less warm.

I also have a George Forman grill, which I've used to grill cold deli sandwiches, bagels and sausages. I'm thinking about trying to make pancakes on it from some pancake mix I brought with me.

There is also a kitchen on each floor, but there are no pots or pans, and no work space at all. I'm not even thinking about touching the microwave, from which a nuclear/burnt cheese smell emenates :sad:

I guess the upside is that I will hopefully be able to contribute to the UW Daily's currently dismal food writing (which hardly exists anyway).