• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants near Willowbrook Mall

jwjojo

You're not far from Hunan Cottage, one of the best authentic Shanghai-style restaurants in NJ. Second to China 46 in Ridgefield, I think it is pretty tops in terms of Chinese dining in the NNJ area.

14 US Hwy 46 Fairfield, NJ

Hunan Cottage Thread (click)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Too late now, and I have no clue of what the name is, but I've read about and been told by friends that the Indian restaurant on 46E immediately before the entrance to Willowbrook is great. I know it's a 2-3 store 'strip' mall and iirc, there's a Lone Star Steakhouse (?) next door.

There's also River Kwai (Thai) all of a mile or so away in Little Falls...

with Applegate Farms next door for dessert! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Too late now, and I have no clue of what the name is, but I've read about and been told by friends that the Indian restaurant on 46E immediately before the entrance to Willowbrook is great.  I know it's a 2-3 store 'strip' mall and iirc, there's a Lone Star Steakhouse (?) next door. 

Jyoti I believe...

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Haven't been to Aria in a couple of years but the 3-4 times that I ate there I thought the food was very good. BYO.

Aria is very strong in its veal and fish treatments. It's on Fairfield Road.

Another good suggestion, though on the pricey side, is Bellissimo's. Route 23 south in Signac, about a mile south of Willowbrook. Not BYO. In the same price range is Il Tulipano

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Sukeroku is the best Japanese in the area if you ask me, just down the road on Pompton Avenue.

Cucina Calandra is close by too. Excellent Italian.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 2 months later...
...I've read about and been told by friends that the Indian restaurant on 46E immediately before the entrance to Willowbrook is great.  I know it's a 2-3 store 'strip' mall and iirc, there's a Lone Star Steakhouse (?) next door. 

Jyoti I believe...

Finally made it to Jyoti last night for the first time. My bro and sil have been a few times, and have enjoyed it--now I can see why. Forget the decor (tacky/dated)--they're making some good food there, and the prices aren't too bad, either--$60 got us a veg sampler app (pakora, papadum, samosas), naan (aka "BIG PITA!" according to my niece), aloo chole (potatoes/chick peas), dal makhani, chicken tikka masala (always a good way to judge an Indian restaurant, imo), lamb korma, a sweet lassi and a cuppa chai. The servings weren't huge, but there was enough food for 4 hungry adults and a semi-hungry 4 year-old. Great flavors, esp in the korma sauce, where I could really taste the yogurt in the sauce, and the meats were moist and beautifully flavored. I also loved the crisp flat crackers (name escapes me) that were served as we perused the menus; one of the better versions of these, chock FULL of pepper and spices, and they were very fresh. The chutneys were equally fresh and tasty.

Service was friendly, 'tho we had a minor language barrier with one of the busboys. The owners/hostess were ultra-charming, though. Will definitely get back there, as it's closer to home than Saffron (snif) and I want to try some other dishes!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Curlz - Can't say I didn't tell you... since I didn't but I did have the name right at least! LOL now since you've always been helpful to me if you see any new Indian restaurants (NOT in hackensack though lol) in Northern Bergen Co - please Please let me know! Thanks.

Note: a few weeks back we went to a great little indian restaurant, one in suffern on 59 about 3 blocks from the thruway - it was real tasty the pakoras were like soft popcorn puffy-like in my mouth! YUM! ! ! ! !

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Curlz - yes, Jyoti is really very good. We've been going there for a few years now and never had a bad meal yet. They are consistently delicious.

The name of the crisp flat cracker is Papadum. They can be addicitng. Their chutney and tamarind sauce is always fresh and tasty. I agree with you about using Chicken Tiki Marsala as benchmark for Indian restaurants. It is one of my favorite dishes.

I too like Saffron very much, but, it is a bit of a ride out there and Jyoti is really so much closer.

Anonymouze - I pretty sure that I've eaten at that little Indian restaurant in Suffern. If it is the same one you must try their Chicken in butter sauce. Just melts in your mouth and so delicious.