• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maple acres farm Plymouth Meeting

The corn is sugar sweet and juicy bursting in your mouth as you bite it, no need for butter or salt. Bicolor and white picked fresh daily. They grow their own heirloom tomatoes and they are fantastic. I love the peach tomatoes, yellow and fuzzy on the outside, sweet, fruity and not too acidic on the inside. They also grow eggplant in all shapes and colors of the rainbow, kelly green, bright orange turkish eggplants, violet japanese eggplants, white etc... They grow many kinds of fresh beans, root vegetables, exceedingly fresh okra, cabbage, canteloupes, herbs. They carry some local produce that they dont grow themselves such as peaches, blueberrys, jersey tomatoes and some produce from other places (so that you can do all of your produce shopping there if you want), It is also a beautiful place to visit, surrounded by fields of flowers in which you can cut your own bouquet and a nice garden store with plants, pots and ornaments. About 30 minutes from center city with no traffic, it is located on Narcissa road near where it intersects with Butler Pike.

• 11 months later...

The bicolar corn is ready and it is so sweet and tender you can eat it raw. They harvest it all day. I bought a large heirloom tomato, the kind that is large and irregular and sort of pink and green. It was sweet as a peach. We gobbled it up while making dinner, couldnt wait. They grow the best okra, small, fat, light, bright green. Lima beans, cantalope, delicious tomatos.

The bicolar corn is ready and it is so sweet and tender you can eat it raw. They harvest it all day.  I bought a large heirloom tomato, the kind that is large and irregular and sort of pink and green.  It was sweet as a peach.  We gobbled it up while making dinner, couldnt wait.  They grow the best okra, small, fat, light, bright green.  Lima beans, cantalope, delicious tomatos.

I will try and head there on Friday. Corn soup may be in my future. Thanks for the bump. Do you know the hours offhand?

Dough can sense fear.

The bicolar corn is ready and it is so sweet and tender you can eat it raw. They harvest it all day.  I bought a large heirloom tomato, the kind that is large and irregular and sort of pink and green.  It was sweet as a peach.  We gobbled it up while making dinner, couldnt wait.  They grow the best okra, small, fat, light, bright green.  Lima beans, cantalope, delicious tomatos.

I will try and head there on Friday. Corn soup may be in my future. Thanks for the bump. Do you know the hours offhand?

Evan -- they are definitely open until 8PM on weekdays. Not sure about weekend hours, but since they are less than a mile from my office, I get there pretty often. If you want corn, just let me know... I can drop some off at your house. The cantaloupes are awesome, too. Haven't had a tomato from them this year yet, but will rectify that. Peaches and watermelons were pretty good last week, but it's not quite peak season for them yet.

• 11 months later...

Time for the yearly bump. The bicolor corn is so sweet you can eat it raw. They pick it fresh daily. The white corn is also great.

Home grown eggplants every color and shape, peppers hot or sweet multiple varieties, heirloom tomatoes, beans, tiny brussels sprouts, purple cauliflower, and lovely peaches, plums and berries from other local growers. The white donut peaches are still a knockout. Home grown cantoulope, I havent cut into it yet, but it smells like heaven.

And for those of you who like to cut your own flowers in the field....

Can anyone provide an address for mapping purposes?? How far is this from Center City?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Can anyone provide an address for mapping purposes??  How far is this from Center City?

610) 828-7395

2656 Narcissa Rd

Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania 19462

From CC however long it takes you to take the Schuykill to the Blue Route, so twenty to thirty minutes, depending on traffic ... essentially its about a mile from the Plymouth Meeting Mall. Exit at the end of the Blue Route, Go West on Germantown Pike, Right onto Hickory Rd (its the Road at the end of the Plymouth Meeting Mall, go about a mile, Right onto Narcissa Rd. About a quarter mile down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that bicolor corn is absolutely spectacular. I just grilled up a few pieces and I can't imagine corn tasting much better than that. The white corn is also damn good, but the bicolor is simply on another level.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

The bicolor corn is sweet juicy and tender. The tenderness of the kernels is the key to its greatness. I will now repeat myself about the donut peaches. They come from a farmer in Bordentown. They taste like nectar, and they have this incredible juicy bite to them. I also like the heirloom tomatoes that are a reddish pink color, they are sweet and not at all acidic. The hot peppers are great, and so is the okra.

• 11 months later...

Finally went and checked this place out. What a lovely farm and such helpful folks! I've purchased enough vegetables for an enormous batch of ratatouille, a big batch of tomato soup and some just plain good eating for a grand total of $7.90!! Ohmigosh! There's a secret stash of "Fill-up-a-basket-for-$1" produce in the back and that's where the tomatoes, peppers and eggplant all came from. Bought some onions, zucchini (green and yellow), donut peaches and a ginormous canteloupe as well. The nice young lady manning the cash register was even nice enough to go cut me some basil and just give me a handful of it at no charge. Did I mention this gigantic haul of produce was less than $8? I can hardly believe it.

I better go start slicing and dicing...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_7409_476_26339.jpg

Have you ever seen so many gorgeous tomatoes in one place?? And there were yet more - big ugly red ones, little tiny pear shaped red ones, orange ones, etc. I just had a mixed heirloom salad that was the most colorful thing I've possibly ever eaten! Delicious. There were tons of zucchini, summer squash, eggplants, corn, pattypans, cantaloupes, watermelon, local peaches, nectarines and seckel pears too. An salute to the end of summer. Lots of good veggies to be had at Maple Acres.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!