• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Besalu

I'm not sure why it took me so long to actually visit Cafe Besalu. I guess it's because I don't live anywhere near Ballard. But now that I've been, I think I'm going to have to make a drive over there a weekend morning ritual. I'm also not sure why I couldn't find a thread dedicated to it, so I'm starting one.

In two visits I've samples croissants, pain chocolate, and quiche loraine, all hot from the stacked pair of convection ovens at the back of the open kitchen. The croissants were flaky and buttery, and the quiche was as fluffy as any I have tasted, with a nice crisp edged crust. I think I'll simply get in the habit of ordering whatever was just pulled from the oven and placed on the top display shelf. That way I'm bound to eventually work my way through the whole menu. The cappuccino I had was topped with a firm dry foam, exactly the way I like it.

Owner and baker James Miller exudes calm from behind the main bench in the center of the kitchen. Whether he's weighing out flour, cutting butter, or sorting fresh berries and peaches for his fruit danishes, he's relaxed, confident, and in control, but never to busy to great a guest watching him work or waiting for the first slice of a quiche that just came out of the oven.

If I'm not careful, I'm going to have to eitther move to Ballard or convince James to swap leases with the Madison Valley branch of Essential.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

If I'm not careful, I'm going to have to eitther move to Ballard or convince James to swap leases with the Madison Valley branch of Essential.

That would have to be plan A, because we Ballardites would rise up in anger if you took him away from us! :wink:

In addition to the best croissant in seattle, they also make a really lovely ginger biscuit - great for Bill who doesn't like gooey sweets, and their macaroon has the perfect texture. So far I've loved everything I've tried.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

they also make a really lovely ginger biscuit

Signature item, though they are better known for the croissants.

I've had my share over the past 5 years!

When did they open, 2000? Yes, and I see cofounder Meg has moved on to her own place in Mt. Airy, Penn. (NW Philly) I wondered where she disappeared to. Best wishes!

High Point Café.

Opening late June.

602 W. Carpenter Lane, off Greene Street.

215-849-5153

I cannot!!! believe its been 5 years. I remember I had a friend who lived a block away and she was in LOVE with James so we'd go in together so she could fawn. Nothing like a man who can bake....I'll have to make a stop for sure during my upcoming visit.

All I have to say is WOW! Gary and I went last Sunday. We shared a pan au chocolat, a nectarine danish and a savory ham and cheese croissant. All were excellent and the espresso drinks were top-notch too.

Wish I hadn't waited so long to make it here and also sorta glad it's not closer to where we live (angel, devil, angel, devil..... :wacko: )

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

There's no question Mr. Miller is doing God's work. His pastry reigns supreme. The coffee is likewise exemplary. With Besalu and Verite within walking distance of each other, Ballard is now ground(s) zero for caffeine lovers.

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the first time this morning and it may become my Sunday morning coffee and pastry destination. I had an incredible Pane Au Chocolat (sp?) and I Vanilla Ice Latte.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

• 1 year later...

bumping up because there have been some really nice new things lately! Dayne and I stop in once a week before work- there is nothing like the smell of all that butter and pastry first thing in the morning!

anywhoooo....The strawberry danish with fresh berries is awesome and is the cornmeal, apricot and sage cookie I just ate.

quiche is on the weekends only.........

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Where is this place? I live in Interbay, so there's really no reason why I shouldn't hit this up.

5909 24th Ave NW, 789-1463. Wed-Sun 7 am-3 pm (Ballard)

I'm there tomorrow. It's amazing how you can pass by something a million times, never notice it, only to find out the have the most amazing _____. I love that.

Yeah, it's pretty good. Their quince lorraine is easily one of best I've had. The cardamon pretzel was pretty good too. Nothing to write home about but pretty freakin good.

Repeat after me: "I'll have a pain au chocolat and a ginger biscuit, please."

Quiche, not quince, or that's a very unusual dish.

I agree completely--though really, all of the croissants are great. I always buy a plain croissant, plus whatever else, because their croissants are the best in town.

amen!!! croissant, pain au chocolate, savory tart, quiche......

Yeah, it's pretty good. Their quince lorraine is easily one of best I've had. The cardamon pretzel was pretty good too. Nothing to write home about but pretty freakin good.

Quiche, not quince, or that's a very unusual dish.

Woops, obviously I meant quiche. Hahaha.

and ok, ok, ok... I get the point. I'll get the freakin croissant next time. Holy shit.