• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Viareggio

cibo susci

I read somewhere that Italians spend more on food.. than anything else in their daily life. It is IMPORTANT.

Not ambience.. FOOD. It must be as good as you get from Mamma at home.

I Latini got carried away with Americans throwing cash at him, and now Giovanni Latini has his own place Osteria da Giovanni, just around the corner from I Latini on via del Moro, that bring back the experience you are talking about at Da Cinotto, a pride in what they do, and professionalism.

The owner ( I forget his name) began as a waiter at a hotel near by and has probably been doing what he does since he was 14~

he reminded me of Vittori Gassman, the Actor.

He was at as ease in English as his Italian, making little jokes and keeping our group of 10 happy as well, pacing the meal perfectly although we didn't have the normal Italian full course meal.

The food was simple, and fabulous..as you say, made for Italians!

Many places in cities now are surviving on Tourism as the Italians themselves are having a harder time going out to dine, with the Euro... prices have doubles, cost of living increases have limited many to working man's lunch out an an occasional Sunday Extravaganza.

When you have the best ingredients, there is little to do, but show it off, not cover it up! knowing where to stop is an art!

Yesterday I took my Tuscan Fall Treasures group to Panzano for our final meal.

Oltre il Giardino is in a small converted house in the village.

It is run by Paolo, the president of the bartenders association of Florence.

So we also got to start with cocktails! Which is not Italian, but relaxing as we were dining on the terrace in the sun overlooking the Fontodi winery.

Simple crostini , fried polenta with porcini stewed in EVO with garlic,salt and wild mint, a bruschetta and fettunta.. had my group in paradise!

Then simply grilled tiny lambchops, twice cooked spinach with garlic and oil, roasted potatoes..and a fabulous Marchesi Pinot Nero!!!

People always ask if I get homesick! what's to miss?

• 1 month later...