• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wynnorr Farm

Holly Moore

About 10 years ago I wrote about Wynnorr Farm on E Street Road of Rte 352 in Glen Mills. Back then they had some of the best fresh corn around. Used to tractor it in from the field every hour. Was thinking I'd take a ride out there this weekend, but not sure they are still around. Couldn't google or yahoo them.

Anyone familiar with Wynnorr Farm? Know if they're still in business?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

About 10 years ago I wrote about Wynnorr Farm on E Street Road of Rte 352 in Glen Mills.  Back then they had some of the best fresh corn around.  Used to tractor it in from the field every hour.  Was thinking I'd take a ride out there this weekend, but not sure they are still around.  Couldn't google or yahoo them.

Anyone familiar with Wynnorr Farm?  Know if they're still in business?

Yes!! When goog-hoo fails, directory assistance rocks.

610-399-9080

Hol. PM me off line or call me if you're going out. Might be a dinner in there some where.

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

Why pay out a buck or whatever it is for directory assistance when I can connive the info through someone else's phone bill.  Thanks Jim.

Flip me a few ears of corn and we're even.

Why buy it when I can conive a site manager to grab it for me.

Your welcome.

Edited by marinade (log)

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

• 11 months later...

Summer eating officially starts for me when a Wynnoor Farm tractor hauls in the first burlap sacks of their corn which is picked within the hour. So it came to pass that last Sunday I sat down to a dinner of tiny ears with tiny niblets of steamed corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes. Wynnoor's harvest started last Sunday afternoon. Hooray.

Corn's in and they promise an even better selection this coming weekend.

Wynnoor Farms

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Fantastic. If I don't make it this weekend, then next weekend for sure. Time to make some corn soup...

Any recommendations for good food along the way or near Wynnorr Farms? (That's before I get the corn and peaches, of course.)

Professore Fentoni and I made the trek out to Wynnoor Farm this lovely summer afternoon and both came home laden with corn, peaches, melons and tomatoes. We also had the rare pleasure of meeting farmer Joe Stratton climbing off his tractor and had a nice long chat with him about corn agriculture, the farm and how surprised he was to end up on Holly Eats! We also met his lovely daughter Hannah who was helping with the farm chores. The folks at Wynnoor Farm are super nice hardworking folks that are really making a go of farming. The young clerks manning the roadside stand were also quite helpful. It was only about a 40 minute drive from Center City and the perfect way to spend an afternoon.

On the way back down Route 352 we were intrigued by a sign for lamb and quail farm so we turned around to investigate. We ended up at Arasapha Farm in Gradyville, which is apparently better known for their haunted hay rides than the edible critters on the farm. There were lots of pretty black footed Shropshire lambs running about the fields, and apparently also practicing dressage. There was an entire ring with jumps set up right in the middle of the sheep pasture. :blink: There was also a fridge in the driveway with fresh organic farm eggs and an honor box in the freezer, so we both picked up a dozen large eggs to bring home. I'll be making a quiche this evening with that bounty.

The ride home was made complete with a stop at the Manayunk branch of Johnnie's Dog House for a snack of a couple of New York style dogs and an order of onion rings. Yum!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What Katie said. I'll add that my favorite part of Wynnorr Farm is the white board with the three corns of the day listed, just like the soup of the day at a restaurant. Brilliant. Then I saw Joe Stratton's Excel spreadsheet with all of the different kinds of corn that will be coming up over the next two months-- something like twenty different varieties. It's an impressive operation.

Anyway, I just had a nice dinner of corn. Well, corn plus butter, lime juice and parmesan. Good stuff. The peaches and cantaloupe I bought will need a couple of days to get really ripe before I turn to them, but I'm pretty psyched.

Joe Stratton swore to us that the August corn would be better than what was being offered today because the "good stuff" needed a bit longer to ripen. I just ate 3 ears (one each of yellow, white and bi-colored ears with nothing but butter and salt) single handed and it was absolutely sweet and delicious NOW, so I can't even imagine what he's talking about. It couldn't possibly be better. That would just be dessert!

The Excel spreadsheet with the varieties (I think there were actually 18 altogether) planting dates and estimated harvest dates was most impressive. Farmer Joe is definitely keeping track of his crops/varietals.

I made these using my favorite "8 minute corn" recipe. I shuck and break off the stems of the ears. I then run the ears under the faucet to get them a bit wet. I wrap each ear in plastic wrap in only the water clinging to it. I set the microwave to 5 minutes on HIGH and walk away. Let the ears sit for 3 minutes once the buzzer has sounded. Butter, salt, eat, repeat. The corn is always perfectly cooked and not waterlogged like it is when I boil it.

I should have bought the full dozen ears. :sad:

edited to add:

I did indeed bake up a lovely Turkey, Spinach, Tomato, Pesto and Mozzarella quiche this evening with those farm fresh eggs, but I haven't tasted it yet. I'll report back tomorrow after it's cooled in the fridge overnight. I hope to have either one of those yummy looking peaches or a slice of canteloupe for breakfast in the morning as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Note to self:

Never, ever eat three ears of corn in a sitting again. I'm feeling quite ill today as a result. Like the guy in Aliens just before the critter pops out of him... :blink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Note to Holly:

Three ears is probably a good minimum for some, a maximum for others.

It depends on the individual's internal digestive tract.

I suspect your own internals to be fairly tolerant of all manner of digestibles, given your hot dog, barbeque, and other self-designed smorgasbords. :-P

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Holly:

Have torn up note to self. It wasn't the corn, but a 24 hour stomach virus. Eating too much doesn't come with chills and fever. Lots of sleep and the exorcising of the demons brings me back to myself today. A little worse for wear, but ready to tackle the corn as soon as I'm eating solids again. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Just as long as it wasn't the eggs, right?  Because I was going to make a quiche for dinner tonight...

Nope. It wasn't the eggs. And in fact I had a slim wedge of the quiche I made the other day and it's delicious, even if I do say so myself. I was pretty hungry after not eating for 36 hours!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 11 months later...

While I'm at it a corn question and a corn observation -

The question - I always buy a couple of days worth of corn, but I'm not sure whether or not tomorrow's corn should be refrigerated?

Observation - I'm not sure if they are now able to breed clinging corn silk out of corn, but with today's yellow corn all the silk came off with the husk.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

While I'm at it a corn question and a corn observation -

The question - I always buy a couple of days worth of corn, but I'm not sure whether or not tomorrow's corn should be refrigerated?

Observation - I'm not sure if they are now able to breed clinging corn silk out of corn, but with today's yellow corn all the silk came off with the husk.

Holly, fwiw, the farmers at my corn and tomato stand in Trenton's Farmers market have advised me to refrigerate corn not used the same day as purchased. I've always been extremely pleased with the Jesrsey white corn and tonights dinner was no different. Perfectly sweet and fresh along with some early Jersey tomatos - yum..made my ground brisket burgers almost an afterthought. Man I love this time of year.