• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite cookie dough

Ling

Excellent dough--nice and spicy (and the cookies aren't bad either, but the spices don't taste as sharp. I might increase the amount of cinnamon and ground ginger for my next batch. :wink: )

Chez Panisse gingersnaps:

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2...gingersnaps.php

Edited by Ling (log)

Excellent dough--nice and spicy (and the cookies aren't bad either, but the spices don't taste as sharp. I might increase the amount of cinnamon and ground ginger for my next batch.  :wink: )

Chez Panisse gingersnaps:

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2...gingersnaps.php

Ling,

I've just made a batch of the Korova cookies. The dough is amazing, not too sweet and just a little bit salty and oh so chocolatey. I made them on the spur of the moment, so I didn't have any premium chocolate or cocoa on hand, but they tasted darn good with Fry's cocoa and chocolate chips. Can't wait to make them with the good stuff. My favourite cookie (and dough) for the family right now is a chocolate chip, peanut butter oatmeal cookie from epicurious. It is addictive. Not near as refined as the Korova, but still scrumptious.

Thanks,

Andrea :raz:

Oh come on, I know I'm not the only one... :raz:

Do you have a cookie dough recipe that's so good, it gets eaten before even making it to the Silpat?

Right now, I'm loving the Korova cookies recipe (by Dorie Greenspan, adapted from Pierre Herme's Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops). I'm a sucker for anything chocolate with a bit of salty bite.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/cookbook/korova.html

My second favourite cookie dough to eat is the peanut butter cookie recipe from the back of the Kraft peanut butter jar. It's especially good when frozen.

Two logs of korova dough from Paris Sweets are chilling in the fridge.... minus the large clump I et. Yum!

My favourite cookie (and dough) for the family right now is a chocolate chip, peanut butter oatmeal cookie from epicurious.  It is addictive.

thankyouthankyouthankyou for directing me to this cookie. At least I assume it is this recipe?

the Korova cookies are still on my "have to make this soon" list, but when I saw the recipe for this chocolate peanut oat cookie I had to make it at once.

The dough was absolutely wonderful.. I have to say I'm not a real cookie dough afficionado (sorry Ling :raz: ) but I kept snacking on this one by the spoonful and I had to force myself to put it in the fridge!

The cookies are fantastic. :wub: I don't want to mess up the cookiedough thread with a pic of a finished cookie, but you can see it here in my post in the Dinner! thread.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Hey there, I'm new and all because of Ling, I rushed to the store on my lunch break yesterday to get everything I needed to bake Korova cookies. The hardest part about these cookies is to try to refrain from eating all the dough before it's cooked. Thanks so much my girlfriend loved them so did I. Truly awesome cookies.

Okay, my mouth is watering and I can't wait to make the Korova cookies. I don't eat raw dough but my granddaughter is a HUGE fan of any raw cookie dough so since she's coming this weekend.......

By the way, I haven't bought the Paris Sweets cookbook yet. Are the other recipes as good as they look? Not that I need another dessert cookbook but then again, it isn't really a question of need, is it.

My favourite cookie (and dough) for the family right now is a chocolate chip, peanut butter oatmeal cookie from epicurious.  It is addictive.

thankyouthankyouthankyou for directing me to this cookie. At least I assume it is this recipe?

Chufi,

This is the recipe. Aren't they delicious. Everyone I have served them to asks for the recipe. A friend made them but didn't bother to grind the oats or add the grated chocolate and they were still good, but not nearly as divine.

Okay, my mouth is watering and I can't wait to make the Korova cookies.  I don't eat raw dough but my granddaughter is a HUGE fan of any raw cookie dough so since she's coming this weekend.......

By the way, I haven't bought the Paris Sweets cookbook yet.  Are the other recipes as good as they look?  Not that I need another dessert cookbook but then again, it isn't really a question of need, is it.

What I liked about the Korova cookies was that they didn't have any eggs, therefore I had no guilt about eating them raw and didn't worry about giving spoonfuls of dough to my kids (ok, ok I only gave them a spoonful each as I wanted to save most of it for myself)

That being said I've been eating raw dough with and without eggs all my life and have never got sick from it.

Hey there, I'm new and all because of Ling, I rushed to the store on my lunch break yesterday to get everything I needed to bake Korova cookies. The hardest part about these cookies is to try to refrain from eating all the dough before it's cooked. Thanks so much my girlfriend loved them so did I. Truly awesome cookies.

I'm not a raw dough fan myself but trust me that you will eat this one before it gets in the oven. Scrumptious, really.

What I liked about the Korova cookies was that they didn't have any eggs, therefore I had no guilt about eating them raw and didn't worry about giving spoonfuls of dough to my kids (ok, ok I only gave them a spoonful each as I wanted to save most of it for myself)

That being said I've been eating raw dough with and without eggs all my life and have never got sick from it.

I have no problem eating raw egg (mousses, mayo, etc.), but I always thought it was the raw flour in the cookie dough that was bad for you? At least that's what my mother always told me... :blink:

I like the sweet and salty, too. My favorite is chocolate chip oatmeal cookie dough - I love the salt, molasses, chunks of chocolate, and the chewy unbaked oatmeal combo. Throw in peanut butter, and my husband and I have to have a spoon duel to see who gets the last bite!

Right now, I'm loving the Korova cookies recipe (by Dorie Greenspan, adapted from Pierre Herme's Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops). I'm a sucker for anything chocolate with a bit of salty bite.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/cookbook/korova.html

OK, having acted on Ling's commendation, I can report that the Korova cookies are easily among the Best All-Time. As dough, and baked as well, although the latter is off-topic in this discussion.

(Edited to fix quote prob)

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Okay, question about the Korova cookies... I have been wanting to make these since I first saw this thread, but it is time for the Cookie of the Month Club! Every month I send cookies to my boyfriend's Grandma and my little brother, so I was thinking about the Korova cookies. One problem... Grandma has dentures and only raves about my chewy cookies... in the recipe, it says they are crumbly, but that last picture makes them look chewy. Any thoughts?

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Okay, question about the Korova cookies... I have been wanting to make these since I first saw this thread, but it is time for the Cookie of the Month Club!  Every month I send cookies to my boyfriend's Grandma and my little brother, so I was thinking about the Korova cookies.  One problem... Grandma has dentures and only raves about my chewy cookies... in the recipe, it says they are crumbly, but that last picture makes them look chewy.  Any thoughts?

Hi Katie,

They are actually a sable cookie; when I made them they weren't crumbly, exactly, but they did have a sandy bite. Alinka's pix do look very moist and chewy, which was not my experience. FWIW!

Oh, that's because they were still warm when I took that picture. When hot, they are very, very soft. They are sitting on the desk in front of me right now, and they are crumbly all right :smile:.

I've a question. The recipe calls for "fleur de sel, or 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt" - I was not sure if it meant finely ground salt? I just ground some sea salt in the pepper grinder, and then thought that maybe grains of salt were supposed to be large.

Also, I had a lot of trouble trying to cut them into rounds: hard pieces of chocolate made the soft dough crumble when cutting.

Ruth, what's FWIF?

FWIW = For what it's worth.

Also, I had a lot of trouble trying to cut them into rounds: hard pieces of chocolate made the soft dough crumble when cutting.

I had the same trouble -- slicing the dough was an exercise in (mild) frustration. They were so delicious, though, so that won't deter me from making them again! :smile:

Edited by RuthWells (log)

A couple of weeks ago I'd made a flourless peanut butter cookie from this Epicurious recipe -- excellent. The dough is delicious (I used my vanilla sugar rather than extract, and added a big pinch of salt too).

The second time I made the recipe I rolled the dough into a log to chill & slice, rather than do the trad-looking individual cross-hatched balls as the recipe directs, and I liked the more elegant presentation, as well as the differentiation -- I have nothing against trad peanut butter cookies, that's for sure.

With a log of Korova and a log of the flourless peanut butter in the fridge, a person could face nearly any challenge.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter