• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cohiba rum from the Carribean

KOK

I just saw bottles of Cohiba rum (light and gold) in a liquor store outside of Baltimore. The labels had the black and white checkering found on cigar labels so it's obviously the same company. I saw the word Carribean on the label but didn't have time to pick up and scrutinize the bottles.

There are a couple of posts from 2001 and 2003 (one mentioned a 5 y.o. Cohiba) but they didn't give much info.

Has anyone tried these rums? I'm curious to hear your input.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Cohiba rums are distilled and aged in the Dominican Republic. Over the years, I've noticed some variations in the character of these rums but the white and gold were consistently good for mixing. If you like Brugal rums, you should give these a try if they're priced right. I've seen prices vary widely across the US for Cohiba rums.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to buying a bottle of the Cohiba white and was pleased with it overall. It had a pretty smooth taste neat, and mixed very well with pineapple juice as well as coca cola (the horror) :smile: At $9.75 /750ml I thought it was a good value.

There is a caveat on the label that the rum is in NO way associated with the cigar. I found this amusing as it's obvious with the black and white checkerboard design they are trying to get you to think they are the same.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06