• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Composed Salads--Cook-Off 12

Chris Amirault

• 10 months later...

I don't have a picture, but tonight I tossed together my first impromptu composed salad of the season. Fresh greens from a visit to the farmer's market (arugula, pea tendrils, mixed baby lettuce), fresh herbs from my garden (tarragon, chives, parsley), local asparagus--roasted, all tossed with a nice lemony sherry vinaigrette, topped with smoked trout and shaved parmesan. Nothing fancy but it was quick and tasty. thank heavens the farmers markets are back!

• 1 year later...

gallery_25849_641_24146.jpg

I had some rib-eye ends and a trip to the farmer's market this weekend combined with a hot summer evening and it was one of my favorites again.

A bed of arugula, ripe cherry tomatoes, fresh snap peas, steamed new potatoes and green/yellow beans, grilled yellow zuccini, green onions, red onion, corn, bell peppers and rib-eye. All dressed in a mustardy-balsamic dressing.

I picked up some beautiful beets -- need to come up with a salad for those.

I had some rib-eye ends and a trip to the farmer's market this weekend combined with a hot summer evening and it was one of my favorites again.

A bed of arugula, ripe cherry tomatoes, fresh snap peas, steamed new potatoes and green/yellow beans, grilled yellow zuccini, green onions, red onion, corn, bell peppers and rib-eye.  All dressed in a mustardy-balsamic dressing.

That looks great Pam. Not so coincidentally tonight's dinner was:

gallery_52440_5738_19432.jpg

Romaine hearts + Radicchio, blanched green beans, sliced red potatoes. capers, homemade pickles, olives, hard boiled eggs and some Albacore I poached gently in Olive Oil + garlic. I also threw a couple of pepperoncini in (because I like them)

The vinaigrette was lime juice, some olive oil, a little smoked Cayenne, Dijon and a touch of S&P.

Tasty even if the plate was not so pretty.

--edit forgot the tomatoes... Wanted to inculde some but forgot...

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I think it's very pretty. Your salad looks great.

It's summer days here. I roasted some candy-cane beets last night and they were incredibly sweet. Sliced them up today, some butter lettuce, a sprinkling of red onion, some really good, creamy goat cheese, toasted almonds and a citrus vinaigrette (lemon, lime, orange juice, s & p, grainy dijon, honey and canola oil).

gallery_25849_641_55940.jpg

This was really, really good. The citrus dressing was very light, but complimented the beets beautifully and the goat cheese gave it a good punch. I'll be making this again (maybe even tomorrow with the last 2 roasted beets . . )

• 5 years later...

Made a composed salad to fill the gap between lunch and dinner today. Something's gone wrong with stock control at my local supermarket and they're getting rid of huge quantities of veggies for next to nothing every day, so I got most of the ingredients for 10p. Fridge and freezer are both full.

Sauerkraut, beetroot, baby cucumbers, asparagus, tahini, toasted seeds, iceberg.

001 (640x480).jpg

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)