• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Composed Salads--Cook-Off 12

Chris Amirault

Also, I just love to say the word gnocchi and welcome any opportunity to say it as often as I can. Gnocchi..  :wub:

Ahhh yes, I understand, being an easily amused person myself. :biggrin:

I think I'm going to "make" ravioli using crab somehow tomorrow night, but I am going to use the wonton wrappers or some such easy thing like that. It might take a Cook-off to force me into making fresh pasta again, and so I am in favor of that, or the "Gnocchi"... :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I'm not sure if we are still doing composed salads, but I'm going back there anyway.

patticky, we're always still doing the cook-offs; check out the links at the top of this thread and you'll see lots of recent action on even the oldest ones. Hell, the fried chicken thread pops back to life every week or so! Please do keep reading and contributing to the threads.

Meanwhile, I sense a groundswell for fresh Italian pasta thread, including stuffed pastas and gnocchi....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 4 months later...

I just figured out two things: 1. there was a cook-off for composed salads, and 2. there is no statute of limitations for cook-offs. Lots of great salads here; I really love nicoise and cobb salads. Here is something I did recently and posted in the Dinner thread:

Beet salad with gorgonzola and candied pecans

gallery_39576_1_74235.jpg

Had some time today to do a composed thing. There is some balsamic on the beets, but I think it needed something a little more to tie it all together.

I just figured out two things: 1. there was a cook-off for composed salads, and 2. there is no statute of limitations for cook-offs. Lots of great salads here; I really love nicoise and cobb salads. Here is something I did recently and posted in the Dinner thread:
Beet salad with gorgonzola and candied pecans

gallery_39576_1_74235.jpg

Had some time today to do a composed thing. There is some balsamic on the beets, but I think it needed something a little more to tie it all together.

WOW! That looks so good! Just added beets to my shopping list for next week. Thanks for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That does look good. That particular pictured salad got a big "DUH" from/about me. But of course... Start the salad with a layer of beets at the bottom. Then everything doesn't turn red. There will be a composed salad something like that coming to my table soon!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 3 months later...

Reading terminal market had the cutest yellow and purple beets as well as baby arugula this week so I couldn't resist making this salad.

IMG_1447.jpg

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Looks great! What is the dressing you use for beets? I just bought six fatties for tomorrow....

It couldn't be easier. Olive oil, lemon juice, microplaned shallot, salt, and pepper. The sweetness of the beets goes very well with this simple dressing.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

A few weeks ago I made a Bresse Chicken Salad (from the Larousse book). The ingredients are boiled eggs (rare), asparagus (not tinned!), lettuce, chicken boiled in stock and chopped, and red and green capsicum peppers thinly sliced.

You dress the lettuce with vinaigrette and lay them in the salad bowl. Then you spoon all of the other ingredients into the middle. The chicken (after chopping) should have some vinaigrette mixed into it. I also sprinkled some Paprika on top to make it look prettier. The eggs are my favourite way of hard boiling - rare :) The blob in the centre is an egg rich mayonnaise.

And here you have it:

webDSC09742-754462.jpg

I am sorry the photo is so close in to the salad - I took it before I even knew this site and thread existed :)

-- Jamie

I am sorry the photo is so close in to the salad - I took it before I even knew this site and thread existed :)

Nothing to be sorry about - it looks delicious!

Thank goodness you found eGullet.. now you have a reason to photograph all your food :wink:

This is a not-so-fancy contribution to the cook-off...my mom used to make this all the time for dinner in the summer, and I got a craving for it this morning. Sliced tomatoes, cukes, red onion, new potatoes, blanched haricots verts, sweet corn, and some grilled chicken breast, all on top of a bed of romaine lettuce.

Served with a simple vinaigrette.

gallery_26775_1623_25553.jpg

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

[...] Sliced tomatoes, cukes, red onion, new potatoes, blanched haricots verts, sweet corn, and some grilled chicken breast, all on top of a bed of romaine lettuce.

Served with a simple vinaigrette.

That looks very tantalising! What exactly are cukes?

Hee hee! They're cucumbers...just a silly slang term.

And thank you - that salad of yours looks mighty tasty, too - especially the mayonnaise. Yum.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

• 1 month later...

Summers here and .... I'm eating more salads.

gallery_25849_641_97482.jpg

A bed of mixed greens, mango, cucumber, red onion, yellow pepper, thinly sliced rib-eye steak cooked on the bbq and topped with a bunch of cilantro.

Dressed with lots of fresh lime juice, sweet chili sauce, ginger, garlic, and oil.

My Lime Salad Dressing in RecipeGullet.

I didn't include cilantro in the dressing, just tossed whole leaves in the salad - but you could chop some up and add it.

• 1 month later...

Tonight I made a salad of leftover flank steak, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, onions carmelized with balsamic, cheddar cheese and carrots. Tops with bottled blue cheese dressing and coveted by my little white dog:

gallery_24065_1826_1463224.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_1116106.jpg

Leftover cheddar corn chowder:

gallery_24065_1826_996097.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_1116106.jpg

That is too cute! Great food pic!

Oh thanks! We actually have found that he begs LESS if we put him on our bench and allow him to look. Oh of course! he gets little scraps as do our other two dogs who are far more well behaved to beg like the little white one.

I rarely buy prepared salad dressing, but every so often get a hankering for Annie's Naturals Shitake and Sesame.  It makes a great dressing for a steak salad.

On another note, we're planning on having sweet corn and BLT's for dinner tomorrow night, and how I'm starting to wonder about a composed BLT salad.  Dressing ideas?

Add slices of avocado -- goes so well with bacon!