• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peach Farm in Boston Chinatown...menu selection

kthan

I decided to have a dinner at Peach Farm restaurant in my upcoming Boston trip. It looks like this is the best chinese seafood restaurant in Boston (others mentioned Taiwan cafe as well, but they seems to be better at non-seafood item).

We are family of five (with two kids). The menus we are thinking to order are:

1.Oyster with black bean sauce: everyone mention this dish as a must-eat.

2. Soft shell crab (probably just salt & pepper, right?): I don't know August is the season (good time) for this dish.

3. Scallop (half shell) or clam (with black bean or any other sauce?): I heard scallop availability is seasonal. I don't know how good they are (in Aug, if available), compared with clam. Since I already have black bean sauce (w/oyster), I want to try the other sauce. Can anyone recommend any other sauce (I couldn't find one)?

4. How about their lobsters? I heard their twin lobster dish (with ginger and scalion?) is very good.

5. We need a chow fun dish because our kids loves it. But, I am not sure how good their chow fun is (crispy on the edge? not too chewy) We prefer to have either seafood w/vegetables or fish filet w/vegetables chown fun. Please let me know if they are very good.

Other then dishes above, there are others (like eel w/XO sauce, jumbo shrimp w/salt & pepper...). But, we cannot taste all (even all five dishes mentioned) withe 3 adults & 2 kids.

Please advise me which combination of menus would work best for us. I appreciate your helpful comments/advices in advance.

Peach Farm is fabulous, the food is addictive. but be prepared for a total lack of ambiance.

I'll try to touch base with a Chinese friend of mine who eats there regularly. How adventurous is your family? Chinese friends adore their duck feet though I admit that their delicacy is lost on me. My friend could probably recommend some interesting off-menu items if you are interested.

I go with him often, and can vouch for their soft shell crab and the scallops. The scallops in particular I would rank as one of the best seafood dishes I've ever had. They are seasonal but if they are available, don't miss them! We usually get them broiled on the half shell (so fresh, some will have the roe attached) with garlic. One version comes topped with rice vermicelli. so good.

The eel is excellent, any of the whole fish recipes are great. One of the biggest crowd-pleasers there is the fried salted squid. It would wipe Italian fried calamari off the map if it could be replicated.

I would definitely second the salt & pepper squid. So good!

Also, this is off the menu, but it's marvelous: Lobster with sweet & sour noodles. One of my favorite dishes there. I would give it a go and ask if they will make it for you.

Also, this is off the menu, but it's marvelous: Lobster with sweet & sour noodles. One of my favorite dishes there. I would give it a go and ask if they will make it for you.

Can you tell me little more about the dish? What kind of sauce in there? Is it just like typical sweet & sour (pork, chicken...), or something special?

What kind of noodle included? Give me how distinctive this dish tastes, as compared to regular lobster or regular noodles.

The lobster is served in its shell, whacked into pieces. Probably steamed.

The noodles underneath are served dressed with a sweet & sour sauce that is light in flavor and consistency and beautifully balanced.

I'm not sure what you mean by typical sweet & sour pork, etc. The sauce here is not sickly sweet, thick, and bright orangey-pink, which is what I grew up eating in the suburbs, but not sure what your experience has been. Hope this helps.