• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you get takeout/delivery

Pan

As per the topic title.

I'll start, of course. :biggrin:

In a typical week, I get delivery or takeout from Grand Sichuan St. Marks three or four times, Teresa's two or three times. There are several other places I get takeout or delivery from, less than once a week on average. I probably get pollo a la brasa with or without platanos maduros at Mancora once every two weeks or so. If I feel like getting their Hot and Spicy Broiled Squid, I get takeout at Dok Suni's (no delivery) - probably once every month or so. I guess next in order of frequency would probably be Congee Village and Katz's -- in both cases, every several weeks. [Edit: I also sometimes stop off in Chinatown to get some noodle soup and Chinese vegetables with oyster sauce at Great New York Noodletown.]

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I live on the UWS 80's.. Dont really get take in or delivery too much.. When we do its either Indus Valley for Indian, Lan for Thai, Celeste for Italian.. I have two pies from Patsy's and two from Lombardi's in the freezer.. In case I dont feeling like using one of my frozen doughs I made. Really dont enjoy any pizza in my hood. Every now and then I will get something from Deli Casbah, Saigon Grill, Haru, Flor De Mayo or stop by Dinasaur BBQ on my way home driving from the George Washington Beidge.. If there is any other place that delivers to west 80's i would appreciate it..

Edited by Daniel (log)

middle village is a food ghetto. no italian delivery :angry: . anyhow, i'd rather go to a restaurant and sit down, if i were planning on leaving the house at all. So I mainly get delivery. 2nd ave deli, tea and sympathy, gransd sichuan, lemongrass (I know, I know) otto, I'll keep thinking.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Way upper west side, low 100's.

We get delivery maybe once a week, occasionally more if we're really busy, from the following places:

Noche Mexicana

Taqueria y Fonda

V&T

One of the eight million bad Chinese places in the area

Flor de Mayo (we get roast chickens, rice and beans from here. Yum)

Having recently discovered that Awash Ethiopian delivers, I intend to order from there one of these nights.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

For UWS Chinese (we're on 90th), the best we've found is 88 Noodle & Oriental House. They're actually pretty good, head and shoulders over anyone else in the area.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Way upper west side, low 100's.

We get delivery maybe once a week, occasionally more if we're really busy, from the following places:

Noche Mexicana

Taqueria y Fonda

V&T

One of the eight million bad Chinese places in the area

Flor de Mayo (we get roast chickens, rice and beans from here. Yum)

Having recently discovered that Awash Ethiopian delivers, I intend to order from there one of these nights.

K

Yeh Awash does not deliver to me, but Flor De Mayo has a good chicken and its inexpensive.. I love that tomato, vinegary sauce they give you with it. I am new to the area and have only gotten food twice both times ordered by my girlfriend... Recently I went to take a look at their menu and was shocked to see they actually served Chinese Food too.. Very funny, not funny enough to try their Chinese food, but still funny

Edited by Daniel (log)

Angon mina when they answer the phone, Curry Leaf whose lamb vindaloo is burning me up at the moment, Otto (get the octopus with celery and lovage), 2nd ave deli (but not too often because it's a bank breaker), Daphne's on 14th St for curry goat.

The Lemongrass Grill which was never good did make a dish that I seemed to crave just about weekly. Pad See Yu beef. Some days it was great some days not so great but always it would satisfyingly fill an empty stomach. Lemongrass has recently merged with a Japanese place on 13th Street and the quality of the See Yu beef has decreased to the point that my wife and I have tried a few other options. Holy Basil for one. All I can say is Holy Shit how does that place stay in business. I wouldn't feed their See Yu to my cat and I hate my cat.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Hey Luckylies, what do you get from Tea and Sympathy?  Never considered them for takeout...

cornish pasties, cheese pasties, leek and potato tart... their sanwhiches are also good.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

takeout = virtually every weeknight. The local diner is on the speed dial, and they know us by name.

weekends are when I find time/energy to indulge my cooking jones

my favorite new delivery find is OTTO!

L'Express also is a favorite delivery indulgence.

So is 2nd Ave Deli, but I have to allow extra planning time....they usually require about an hour or more for delivery, but it's worth it.

Uh...if a non New Yorker is allowed in this thread... 

I was going to post where I get takeout, but the town I live in doesn't have any except for fast food and a few Chinese places.

So never mind.  :wacko:

Yeah, I've been reading your thread on how sad you find the food situation in your town. But this is in fact a thread on the New York forum about New York takeout. Anyone is free to start a similar thread on any other regional forum, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

I've eaten at Gennaro's (92nd & Amsterdam) and noticed that they do (or used to do take-out) Not sure about quality of take-out versus eat-in though.

I had a wonderful antipasto platter there (we ordered the veg version but the regular one seems popular also.) I would imagine that being a great thing if they'll do it as take-out.

We like their other food too but somehow, we're always kind of full after the antipasto.

jayne

West Village here. We eat takeout/delivery about twice a week, and these are our go-to spots:

Galanga for Thai food. Love the charcoal beef salad, the summer rolls. I've about got them convinced now to make it actually spicy, too.

Moustache for incredible ouzi, lamb sandwich, pita and salads.

Better Burger, believe it or not, for their giant Mediterranean salads with grilled chicken or salmon on top. With pomegranate dressing.

Indian Taj on Bleecker for passable veggie curries, pretty good bhindi masala, and mango chicken.

Tea and Sympathy for chicken and leek pie, Stilton and walnut salad, and Nicky's chocolate cake.

Murray's Bagels for our traditional weekend brunch of bagels, cream cheese, lox, red onions, and tomatoes.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

UWS --

We rarely order in. But if we do, we'll get something from Alibaba (falafel, shawarma).

Other kosher spots we'll call are Pizza Roma, Gan Asia, and during the NFL playoffs only - Dougies BBQ.

I have been known to do take-out Indian food from one of the Curry Hill places and then schlep it home. In that case I like Madras Mahal or Pongol. I've been meaning to try Chennai Garden.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

UWS --

We rarely order in.  But if we do, we'll get something from Alibaba (falafel, shawarma).

Other kosher spots we'll call are Pizza Roma, Gan Asia, and during the NFL playoffs only - Dougies BBQ.

I have been known to do take-out Indian food from one of the Curry Hill places and then schlep it home.  In that case I like Madras Mahal or Pongol.  I've been meaning to try Chennai Garden.

Can you tell me about Dougies BBQ?

LES here. For delivery 2-3 times a week (and a lot more right now, as I've just had foot surgery!), Congee Village is tops on list, followed by Pho Grand (on Grand St.) and Win49 Kushikatsu on Allen, which does "homey Japanese food" and isn't bad at all.

Last night, for the first time, we had Schiller's deliver and it was pretty good. Fries went into toaster oven for crisping and were good, but not as good as at the restaurant. Had 3 different bar apps for $11, the Cuban sandwich and a grilled chicken caesar - not cheap for delivery however as the total came to $47 with tip - usually we spend no more than $25.

For take out, I like NY Noodletown.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

UWS --

We rarely order in.  But if we do, we'll get something from Alibaba (falafel, shawarma).

I have been known to do take-out Indian food from one of the Curry Hill places and then schlep it home.  In that case I like Madras Mahal or Pongol.  I've been meaning to try Chennai Garden.

Can you tell me about Dougies BBQ?

There's absolutely no reason to eat at Dougies unless you keep kosher. I'm serious about this. The food is mediocre. But, they're the only ones who have racks of ribs, which for me is football food.

I have had people who don't keep kosher tell me their wings are pretty good but that goes back a number of years.

If you're still determined to try it - it's on W. 72nd btw WEA and Bway across the street from All-State.

Dougies BBQ and Grill

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

West Village here. We do lots of take-out and delivery.

Tea and Sympathy for mac and cheese, shepherd's pie, sticky toffee pudding.

Kitchen Market for chili con carne and cornbread.

Pie by the Pound for pizza...they actually deliver here. Lombardi's used to, but now they make a huge fuss that we're one block out of their delivery zone.

Moustache for ouzi, pitza and baba ganouj.

Surya for chicken tikka masala and good fresh nan.

Cheesesteaks from Wogies.

'sNice for panini, smoothies, and cupcakes...my favorite new place.

Occasionally Benny's burritos, although we've had mixed experiences with them.

Lassi apparently delivers now...it's on my list to order soon.

LES here.  For delivery 2-3 times a week (and a lot more right now, as I've just had foot surgery!), Congee Village is tops on list, followed by Pho Grand (on Grand St.) and Win49 Kushikatsu on Allen, which does "homey Japanese food" and isn't bad at all.

Last night, for the first time, we had Schiller's deliver and it was pretty good. Fries went into toaster oven for crisping and were good, but not as good as at the restaurant.  Had 3 different bar apps for $11, the Cuban sandwich and a grilled chicken caesar - not cheap for delivery however as the total came to $47 with tip - usually we spend no more than $25.

For take out, I like NY Noodletown.

Oh yeah Pho Grand, I forgot. After a protest or two they'll happily (and briskly) ride pho and grilled chicken with rice vermicelli all the way up to 12th street. Good call.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Chelsea here: Grand Sichuan and Atomic Wings make near weekly visits. We've recently discovered that Atomic Wings makes a great burger. Lately i've also been ordering from Charlie Mom's because I love their Peking Duck. Best neighborhood Chinese version I've tried. Pita Pan falafel is my favorite. I get in fresco tortilla a lot but Mexican husband turns his nose up. (But we both work at Carmine's so we have lots of authentic options up on Amsterdam in the 100's as Bergerka pointed out.)

Spice (Thai) is regular, as is Wogies, and Pizza 33.

Most frequent takeout is Havana Chelsea, just had a cubano and rice and beans...