• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish & Chips, Seattle's Best?

Just wondering what places for Fish & Chips people here like. I've been to Spud's by Greenlake, and thought it was pretty OK, by Skipper's standards. I'm not likely to go to Alki or West Seattle anytime soon, but I'm curious as to what the standard barrer is.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'm sure I'm being politically incorrect and perhaps no one will agree, but I like Ivar's Fish and Chips whenever I want a quick snack in the 'hood. The fish is always nice and fresh tasting, lightly breaded, not very greasy, and the chips are also very good. My only complaint is that the pieces are small, but they are tasty.

Being from Wisconsin, I used to enjoy Friday fish fries featuring Lake Michigan perch which were absolutely delicious fish and always very fresh. For eating, it's hard to beat fresh water perch and walleyed pike.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

The ones at Fisherman's Terminal are pretty good. Hmm that's a great summer time thing to do...

The F&C at Go Fish in Vancouver (by Granville Island) totally ROCK. Tarragon in the tartar, :wub: I last ate there at the peak of halibut season. yumyum.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I like the fish and chips down at Chinook's, at Fishermens Terminal in Ballard, and the cod or halibut fish and chips at your local McMenamin's. I have had many an enjoyable meal of halibut fish and chips and a pitcher of Terminator while sitting outside at McMin's.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Last summer I tried out several F&C places in my neighborhood, Fremont. I also tried Sunfish at Alki. They were all quite good, although probably only Sunfish has prawns and chips. I'd rank them:

Pacific Inn Pub (Stone Way and 35th)

Sunfish at Alki

Nickerson Street Saloon (south end of the Fremont bridge, across from the funeral home)

Norms Eatery (460 N 36th)

Chris

If you were in Ballard, which would you choose, Lockspot or the Totem House?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons