• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quebecois cookbooks and chefs, who's who?

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could enlist you for some help. I returned to Montreal 2 years ago after a long absence and I 'm really loving the food and restaurants here-- o.k. maybe not so much the mexican or some of the take out chinese, but who's counting? I digress. So what I was wondering was if I could get some cookbook reccomendations for quebecios chefs. They can be in french, that's no problem. And since I happily cook meat for others, but I am not a huge fan of meat/ poultry and am alergic to seafood, I'm looking for books that are not too heavy on animal protein. I'm not looking for a vegetarian cookbook, but am trying to avoid books that are 75% meat and seafood recipes (this is what I encountered with Daniel Vezina's books).

Right now I don't have too much to rely on other than a la Distasio, which I watch pretty regularily. Seems like a lot of her guests are celebrities, and not chefs though. Having recieved her book as an xmas gift, I will say that it's a good reference book for timing oven roasted vegetables and has some quick ideas for busy cooks, but I don't find myself running to it to try something different.

I should also mention that I am not really a fan of Jamie Oliverish books either, which maybe part of my problem with distasio. I like recipes that are dead on (as in Alain Ducasse dead on). I hate books that don't give specific quanties or use vague terms like add x ingredient to taste. (I know quite well what my taste is and I buy books in order to NOT make things to my taste). Thanks in advance, chantal

Edited by chantal (log)

I haven't really paid attention to the local publications, but Daniel Picard has written a few, and there are the books by Laurent Godbout (bookstores) and Marc de Canck (available at La Chronique). The latter two don't quite fit your criteria when it comes to no seafood and light on meats though.

A trip to a big Renaud-Bray might be worthwhile.

Please check out the foodie bookstore at Jean Talon Market "Libraire Gourmand" (in the new extension, right by the stairs to the garage).

Nice selection of Quebecois and french cookbooks - well worth supporting rather then the mega book stores.

All of the books mentioned above are available. + Some expensive SERIOUS french books. There is a $82 Michel Bras book, with high lust factor - for instance. There is an interesting historical book about food in Nouvelle France of pioneer times. etc etc.

Lots of books on QC/French specialties such as foie gras.

Have you seen the show on Canal Evasion with Venzina and a cute young lady?

It's funny and not so foodie serious in a very Quebec kind of way.

As an expat Quebecoise, I'm delighted to see this thread. Sadly, I can't check out the goods at the bookstore at the Jean-Talon market, so I'm requsting titles and authors here. Let's put it this way, when I left Montreal Mme. Benoit was around. Please update me further.

Merci.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

It will be hard to find a book that does not focus so much on meat, especially a quebec chef book since they are already a rarity. The La chronique book is very nice and knowing mr.de cank's reputation i'm sure the recipes are spot on, there is the laurent godbout book wich might not have so much protein recipes but the presentation and flavour parings might be too much if you're looking for a home cooking book. Otherwise there is also the new book l'appareil wich features recipes from a bunch of young montreal chefs (michel ross, stelio& patrice from les chevres, yann from area) there are no pics but a bunch of cartoons instead but the recipes seem solid don't know about the protein ration though. All these should be available from JTM bookshop, otherwise indigo and co. have them except for the chronique book wich is available through the resto otherwise.

Chantal,

Canale Evasion is on channel 51 on my cable. It's like a miniature Un-obnoxious "Food Network". Mixture of foodie, travel and touristy programming.... there are some low spots with what appears to be annoying british or american productions with french voice overs but what I like are the Quebec related and Quebec produced programming which I find not over produced, and often charming and informative. Programming is in French and although I am not french speaking I know enough to enjoy it. The style is much more cultured and relaxed than american style TV production "values".

Some favourites:

The Venzina cooking show I mentioned

Passeport pour la gourmandise

avec Daniel Vézina

(lundi à 20h30)

Showcasing QC food & vine producers and restos

La route gourmande

avec Frédéric Blaise

A VERY enthuisiastic Vine show

Vins du monde

avec Jacques Orhon

Showcasing QC spas

La détente est dans le spa

avec Tania Kontoyanni

Showcasing QC public gardens

Jardins secrets

Several other shows featuring QC restos etc...

Canale Evasion Website

Thanks for your help everybody. I will be checking out some of these cooks really soon. I feel I can go to Librarie Gourmand much better prepared now. I will also stop by La Chronique and check it out. Thanks again.