• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegman's in Bridgewater

Since I work in Somerset County, I am lucky enough to visit this store approx. every other Friday or so to pick up fish and/or a few interesting items that I can't get at Shop Rite.

It's funny, but just a few days ago I was on their website as usual looking for them to announce a new location in Northern NJ (since I live in that area) because they have repeatedly mentioned more NJ stores to come. Now it seems as if they are going more south. Here is the updated link:

http://www.wegmans.com/guest/FAQ/store_que...ns_comments.asp

By the way, has anyone heard when the new Whole Foods market is opening in Madison? It seems like it's been "coming soon" for a year now! :wacko:

By the way, has anyone heard when the new Whole Foods market is opening in Madison?  It seems like it's been "coming soon" for a year now! :wacko:

I heard the start date for Whole Foods was "mid-September"

If I have the chance, I'll drive by tomorrow and see what's happening. I already promised to visit the Pops bbq which is about a mile away.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Paul--I'd love you to flesh out your point about the truffles deserving their own salesperson and why you are against displaying them in their own locked display case. At first blush, I think you're nuts on this one.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Paul--I'd love you to flesh out your point about the truffles deserving their own salesperson and why you are against displaying them in their own locked display case.  At first blush, I think you're nuts on this one.

I was commenting on Dodge's observation that Wegmans locks it down in one place, and has it out on the shelf in the other. I tend to view locked up merchandise (other than weapons, etc) as merchandise the owner has no real interest in selling.

The Macy's at Willowbrook Mall is an example. I have no interest in trying on a coat which is chained, and has to be released. I prefer not to shop in a place where the shopper is assumed to be a criminal. My sense is the Wegmans would offend many buyers in NJ with a locked cabinet.

Contrast that with the description of the Pierre Herme shop in the same store. Artfully displayed pastry in cabinets, highlighted details, attentive salespeople (2), eager to help. Avoiding the "May I help you?" with the open ended "That's one of our new items. Customers have said it is a wonderful chocolate."

One store welcomes you, invites you in, encourages you to look. The other locks up its merchandise, forcing you to find a salesperson before you've decided to spend the $45 an ounce. Strange that this is the same chain.

As for me being a nut, you may be right

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

It's a shame that Wegman's researchers don't look hard enough.

I can think of three or four empty lots in Bergen which would make good locations. Most are former locations of supermarkets which built new locations elsewhere rather than try and renovate while staying open.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I can think of three or four empty lots in Bergen which would make good locations.  Most are former locations of supermarkets which built new locations elsewhere rather than try and renovate while staying open.

I think somebody else noted they are very cheap, and resistant to paying inflated north jersey prices. Wal-Mart, until recently, has been the same way, although I've heard they blew the doors off the new Saddle Brook place with their sales numbers.

One nice location would be NY 17, just north of the 87/287 merge in Suffern. Wide open space, low NY taxes, very accessible. There's another nice, very large property on 17 south in Ramsey just west of the railway.

rancho gordo

Target resisted Bergen county for the same reason. Then they opened a store in Edgewater and did record numbers--even after a nasty surprise the day of their opening when the sherrif wouldn't let them open their doors (it was a Sunday, ya' see... Target didn't do their research and had no idea they couldn't be open on Sundays).

Westchester has many of the same problems. Big costs to open, big risks, but also the biggest potential profits.

Rockland County might work for them. There are still some cheap rents there.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I love the pistachio muffins at Wegmans. Once I went after work to the store in Bridgewater and they were all out :angry:

The girl that worked in the bakery gave me a business card and said that if I call earlier in the day they can hold some asside for me. How nice!