• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegman's in Bridgewater

I visited the Wegman's in Bridgewater this afternoon, and was very impressed. It's easily the size of a Wal-Mart, and would take an afternoon to visit every nook and cranny. The overriding principle is short aisles leading to a low wall, which maximizes end-caps and creates a sense of little clusters.

As you enter the store, the immediate impression is of a small town. There's a street, with buildings to the left. A pizzeria, bakery, take-out foods, camera shop. A quick right puts you in front of Pierre Herme, with a 30 foot cake display opposite. Continuing along this aisle leads to the cheese world. Huge display of Canadian, French, English and US cheeses. A left turn brings you to the duck, quail, pheasant display from D'Artagnan. Up the aisle by service meat, fresh fish, sandwiches, and you're back to Herme and the bakery. This is the 25% to the left of the entrance.

To the right of the Herme to cheese wall is the fresh teas and specialty coffee, cookbooks, specialty vinegars, etc. By this time, I was drifting, amazed as I turned each corner. Vivid, green  basil and tomatoes, melons on a cart, seven different Hodgson Mill flour products, and six King Arthur.  About 180 feet of Indian food products spread over six shelves. The spectacle goes on and on.

I was very impressed. Bought Dee a pound of Herme and myself a scoop of pistachios.  Bought two tomatoes and fresh basil for dinner, too.

There's a thread on irradiated meat which I opened in "cooking", since I thought it had more general interest.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I visited a Wegmans in NJ with Steve recently and we expressly wanted to take some pictures of the display of Herme chocolates and desserts but were caught by the vigilant counter people who told us it was not allowed.  I am not really sure what the big deal was, but it seemed pretty non-negotiable and I did not relish the vision of having my camera ripped out of my hands and being expelled from the store.

Chefette --I have some yet undeveloped (non-digital) pictures of Herme creations in Paris, incl. the Emotions line. Also the Ispahan in detail. Messenger me with your address if you would like to receive copies.  :wink:

Rosie Posted on June 04 2002,15:45

and I think Freehold also.

Actually, it's on Route 9 South in Manalapan which is the town immediately before Freehold on the Route 9 corridor.

It is gigantic, but the layout is totally different from Rail Paul's description of the Bridgewater store.

I am constantly in the Manalapan store and particularly love their fish section.  Before it opened, I never, ever bought fish in a supermarket.  Though the fish store I patronized had very good quality, the selection was rather limited.  Wegman's has the most phenomenal selection of fish (and shellfish), all top,top quality.  So now, I buy all my fish only at Wegman's.  Prices are much higher than what I was paying previously, but it is definitely worth it.

It is gigantic, but the layout is totally different from Rail Paul's description of the Bridgewater store.

The Princeton store, of which I am at so often I ought to pay rent, is the exact opposite of RP's description..as in, mirror image. Bakery, vegs and fresh foods to the right, same "tea wall" , and then groceries to the left.  Sounds like they found a layout that works, and stuck to it.  Does the Freehold store s have the distinction between fresh foods and general groceries?  I guess I should call it the Manalapan store...Freehold is more common and well known, I guess. Actually, the Princeton store is in Lawrence, not Princeton..but around here, every store and development tries to add the IVY Princeton to its moniker!  So we're used to it! LOL

Dee was very interested in my description of the Bridgewater Wegman's store, and wants to visit it. She may want a refill on the (now gone) pound of herme chocolates, too.

So, we may visit on Sunday afternoon, and I'll make more detailed notes.

Kim WB refreshed my memory on one point. The extreme right end of the store is the "club" with supersized bulk products. Fifity rolls of toilet paper, 25 pounds of sugar, etc. Also, gas grills, TV sets, and so on.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Kim WB Posted on June 06 2002,19:41

Does the Freehold store s have the distinction between fresh foods and general groceries?  I guess I should call it the Manalapan store...

I'm not trying to be difficult, just precise.  Wegmans calls it their Manalapan (not Freehold) store, and it is the tax-paying citizens of Manalapan who are reaping the ratables benefits.

Yes, the fresh foods and general groceries are separate.  

Just for the record, here is the layout.  There are two entrances to the store: the main entrance and an entrance to the left into the " fresh foods hall."  I always go in the latter entrance and out the former.  As I enter, the first section to the left is the huge Chinese buffet, with refrigerated drinks along the wall.  Directly to the right is what might be called "Pizza Central."  In the center, is the sushi counter.  Just beyond the Chinese buffet is the area where one can buy the freshly-prepared dishes of the day (eat-in in the upstairs cafe or take out).  Beyond that, on the left, there are the appetizing counter, the fresh fish and the fresh meats.  The deli counter is across from fresh meats.  Down the center of the hall are refrigerated cases chock-a-bloc with all kinds of stuff: prepared foods ready to cook, packaged meats (including kosher), items from D'Artagnan, etc.  The fresh-baked breads and bakery section is directly across from the pizza area and extends all the way down the right side until the aforementioned deli counter.  

The section adjacent to the right of the food hall is the fresh fruits and veggies.  (Coming into the main entrance, one would be here.)  Behind that are fresh flowers and plants, packaged breads, and a large housewares section.  I know there are some other things, but I can't remember them right now.  Beyond that is the cheese dept. and the olive bar.  

Adjacent to the right of the fruits & veggies is the pharmacy, and behind it and to the right, stretching to the end of the store, is the grocery section.  There is a large international grocery section in the farthest right front corner.  Between fresh foods and groceries, there are now a lot of summer items -- grills, lawn furniture, picnic baskets, etc. -- on display.  

Along the wall at the back of the store are the refrigerated cases -- including bulk meats and cheeses -- and the bulk groceries are also in the back.  Freezer cases run down the front middle of the store before the groceries.    

And for those who must take their kids along, but want to shop in peace, there is a supervised playroom in front of the check-out area.  In case the kids do accompany the folks around the store, they can have their own mini shopping carts with a flag attached that reads, "Shopper in Training."

Rail Paul mentioned something about t.v. sets.  I haven't noticed any, but that doesn't mean they don't have them.  I'll have a look next time I'm there, which should be this afternoon.  (I go there at least 4 or 5 times a week.)

I visited a Wegmans in NJ with Steve recently and we expressly wanted to take some pictures of the display of Herme chocolates and desserts but were caught by the vigilant counter people who told us it was not allowed.  I am not really sure what the big deal was, but it seemed pretty non-negotiable and I did not relish the vision of having my camera ripped out of my hands and being expelled from the store.

Chefette,

Many major retailers have a "no pictures" policy.  They think that you are...

1.  Their competition looking to steal ideas

2.  A lawyer

3.  A thief

As a wholesaler, when I "shop" stores to check out my competition, I often tell the store manager and present my business card.  This way I won't raise any alarms when they see me standing in an aisle writing furiously on a pad and taking pictures.

I am totally dependent on the Princeton Wegman's, but...

Is it just me, or has the store been gradually "dumbing down" over the last couple of years?  I'm thinking in particular of the produce department.  When it opened, it seemed to be like the old Balducci's, everything in perfect condition, anything you wanted was there, even the unusual and hard to find.  Lots and lots of local produce in season, beautiful ripe tomatoes, super quality stone fruits.  These days, it's still the best in the area, but perhaps more like a top-notch SuperFresh.  The mesclun, which used to be like the pristine stuff I remember from the west coast, can be pretty mangy these days.  The tomatoes are dull.  It's disappointing.

Man I wish we had a Wegmans in North Jersey. Anyone hear of any plans to put one in Bergen County?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

...plans for bergen County?...

Bergen County could be an excellent demographic for Wegmans. Haven't heard of any plans, but Wegmans expressed an interest in a piece of property in Montville. Home Depot took that one.

rancho gordo

Bilmo Posted on June 14 2002,14:42

I am totally dependent on the Princeton Wegman's, but...

Is it just me, or has the store been gradually "dumbing down" over the last couple of years?  I'm thinking in particular of the produce department.

The Manalapan Wegmans where I shop regularly is only just over a year old, so maybe it's too soon for them to have "dumbed down."  However, I have never thought that everything in the produce dept. was totally top notch all the time.  I pick and choose, depending on what is in season; what looks and, in some cases, feels ripe; and how the quality and price stack up against what other supermarkets in my area, as well as Delicious Orchards and farm stands (in summer season) are charging for same.  Within the past couple of days, my Wegmans has had terrific California peaches and plums --juicy and sweet -- and California strawberries have also been good for several weeks.  Prices have been comparable to other venues.  Yesterday, I noticed that they had the first Jersey blueberries of the season at 2/$5, but I decided to wait because one of the other supermarkets is having them on special at .99 (+ club card) starting today and for the rest of this week.    

As I mentioned, in this area, there are many supermarkets + Delicious Orchards + farm stands with which Wegmans competes.  Great for us shoppers.    :smile:

Does the Princeton Wegman's have competition?

Bilmo--a resounding no, no, no with regard to the mesclun and other luscious greens at Princeton.  In fact, since they opened they've improved with a far greater selection of microgreens and specialized baby and exotic lettuces.  Of course, I don't live near or shop there often, but just stop in every month or two while we drive back from NY to DC.  Chefette and I have done that for two years or so, so I do have visits over time under my belt.  Greens have improved, they bring in as much or more variety of Melissa's hard to find and exotic fruits, they're adding certified organics and they have more square footage devoted to higher quality produce than any supermarket that I have ever seen.

The Princeton store has improved tremendously in many areas since it opened--a self-contained Kosher unit the most significant stride forward on a large scale, things like the hummus bar on a small scale--while at the same time it is only natural that seasonal quality and sourcing on certain products fluctuates.

I am, however, in no position to comment on other NJ Wegman's--never been--nor am I in a position to comment on any local competition to the Princeton Wegman's--never been to any. My evaluations are against the best supermarkets NY, DC and NoCal/San Francisco has to offer, like Whole Foods and Draegers etc.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Is it just me, or has the store been gradually "dumbing down" over the last couple of years?  I'm thinking in particular of the produce department.  When it opened, it seemed to be like the old Balducci's, everything in perfect condition, anything you wanted was there, even the unusual and hard to find.  Lots and lots of local produce in season, beautiful ripe tomatoes, super quality stone fruits.  

I have not noticed a decrease in quality, but have noticed a decrease in off season variety. For examples, they used to carry white cherries 9 months of the year, even 2when the price was exhorbitant, but now they just carry it for three months, when the prices are more consumer frinendly. I assume in watching the bottom line,  they needed to decide on what sells and what rots, and stock accordingly.  Also, I feel it is common practice for a store just opening to carry everything,a nd then curtail ists selcetion based on the local consumer demand...for ex, Wegman's started by carrying excellent aged beef, but now only has it around holidays...I noticed it this week int he store, and when I questioned why they had it this week and not all weeks, the counterperson replied "father's day".

Does the Princeton Wegman's have competition?

Yes, McCafferty's in West windsor and Princeton.  Not as large, with limited prepared foods, but high quality produce and meats and fish.  Plus, loads of the regular Shop Rites and Foottowns, etc.

• 1 month later...

Dodge -

agree completely with you on the Wegman's, that's one fine store!! I'd be willing to travel 15 minutes for that kind of place.

I had heard that they looked at a site in Montville (the triangle where Bloomfield Ave and US 46 diverge) but passed on it

Paul

rancho gordo

[i'd be willing to travel 15 minutes for that kind of place.

]

15 only 15 minutes.  30 minutes easy if not more

I'm waiting for the punchline... :hmmm:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I lived in Rochester, NY a few years back for 2 years. Wegman's rules there and is one of the area's largest employers. The Pittsford (an affluent suburb of Rochester just a few miles away) Wegmans was by far the best Wegmans there. While the Roch. area clearly lacks the competition that we have here, people did come from all over (over an hour away) to the Pittsford Wegman's. The Pittsford Wegmans was nicer than the other Wegman's in the Rochester area. Some Wegmans in Roch were not very good.

The setup of the Pittsford Wegman's is very similiar to the Bridgewater Wegmans.

_ did anyone else notice the truffles (in mushroom section - I am not familiar with them but always noticed their cost) They cost 699.99 per pound in Bridgewater. My wife and I were surprised that in the Pittsford Wegmans these truffles were in a case and were locked while in Bridgewater they were not locked. I recall seeing the truffles priced sometimes up to 999.99 per pound in Pittsford.

Pittsford store also carries White Hots which are well known white hot dogs in Rochester.

The Pittsford Wegman's had a cleaners inside (run by Wegmans).

_ did anyone else notice the truffles (in mushroom section - I am not familiar with them but always noticed their cost)  They cost 699.99 per pound in Bridgewater.  My wife and I were surprised that in the Pittsford Wegmans these truffles were in a case and were locked while in Bridgewater they were not locked.  I recall seeing the truffles priced sometimes up to 999.99 per pound in Pittsford.

Maybe this belongs in its own thread... but

I've vocally objected when a store chooses to lock down items for reasons other than safety. If the item is sufficiently valuable to be offered at $699 a pound, it's sufficiently valubale to have a person available to show it, display it, etc. A jewelry store is the perfect example.

Unless the store is defending the product against its own employees, which is another story altogether.

rancho gordo