• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French food web sites

EdS

Are there web sites similar to eGullet but in French and with mostly users in France? What would you recommend? I'm particularly interested in sites where there's discussion between people cooking at home. Thanks!

Here's one site I've bookmarked: MIAM.

and another: supertoinette

I can't remember how I found out about these (probably from someone on egullet) or else by googling around. I have no perspective on how they compare to other sites that might be out there and I haven't participated on either of them yet...

Perhaps someone else will have further comments on them.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you, ludja.

I found it quite entertaining to visit the American recipes section of supertoinette and see all those people discussing and making food like carrot cake, chilli, American potato salad, Jello-O(!), fried chicken, hamburgers, and cheesecake. I had no idea there was an interest or even knowledge of chilli in France.

Thank you, ludja.

I found it quite entertaining to visit the American recipes section of supertoinette and see all those people discussing and making food like carrot cake, chilli, American potato salad, Jello-O(!), fried chicken, hamburgers, and cheesecake. I had no idea there was an interest or even knowledge of chilli in France.

You'd be surprised about all the other things French people know about and are interested in. :wink:

Those two are very good forums, btw.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Thank you, ludja.

You'd be surprised about all the other things French people know about and are interested in. :wink:

Wait -- that means if I could get my French up to speed, I could be the Chefzadi -- or, maybe, the talented amateur, P'tit Pois -- of France.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Wait -- that means if I could get my French up to speed, I could be the Chefzadi -- or, maybe, the talented amateur, P'tit Pois -- of France.

The Americans need a cultural/culinary ambassador like you in France.

Dean of Culinary Arts

Thank you, ludja.

I wish my French were better than first-grade level. I can see how it'd be fun to hang out on those forums.

To think, somewhere in southwest France there just might be a festival involving gallons of tequila, wet t-shirt contests, and Harleys. :raz:

Here's one site I've bookmarked: MIAM.

and another: supertoinette

I can't remember how I found out about these (probably from someone on egullet) or else by googling around.  I have no perspective on how they compare to other sites that might be out there and I haven't participated on either of them yet...

Perhaps someone else will have further comments on them.

You've done us a great service ludja; my "further comment" is that they're wonderful.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Glad that these might be useful!

I've been reluctant to join in on them myself so far because while my French is good enough to read these rather easily, I'm out of practice with respect to writing in French. I guess this would be a good opportunity to practice a bit... :rolleyes:

I also wonder if there are any similar boards in German but that is a question for another subform...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

I've had questions about what enthusiastic French home cooks prepare in their homes as opposed to food served to the public. It's one thing to read books on the subject but then you need to endure such problems as the author's biases and faults in their observations. I haven't been to France and even if I had, it would take a large amount of time and effort to gain enough experiences to paint an accurate picture. I can think of no better way to gain this insight in a short amount of time than by getting this information from a large sample of cooks straight from their mouth (or keyboard) on online forums. These links are much appreciated.

A few that I monitor:

C'est moi qui l'ai fait!

A blog, in French. If you read French, a good place for an idea of what a French food enthusiast w/ children cooks at home, always with recipes. En vacances at the moment but there are lots of archives.

Chocolate & Zucchini

The daily cooking and eating diaries of a French woman, but in English. Recipes and discussion forums.

Blog Appetit

In French, a variation of an eGullet cook-off. Periodically a seasonal ingredient (or two) is proposed, and readers submit recipes featuring those ingredients. Currently. "Moules et Oignons."

I'm looking forward to checking out the other sites mentioned here.

I've been reluctant to join in on them myself so far because while my French is good enough to read these rather easily, I'm out of practice with respect to writing in French.  I guess this would be a good opportunity to practice a bit... :rolleyes:

I also wonder if there are any similar boards in German but that is a question for another subform...

I checked out a copy of Culinaria France, good book, but it jumps from homecooking to restaurant cooking without making the distinctions. The book is excellent in the sense that it functions as a documentary of a slice of French culinary history at a given time.

Two pages of Maghrebi cuisine in France with an intro that emphasizes Algerian. The country was once 'considered' a part of France. :laugh:

Dean of Culinary Arts

or, maybe, the talented amateur, P'tit Pois -- of France.

Hehe, er, thank you.

Let's test your french right now: do you know what a gaffe is? :biggrin:

My apologies -- I have been enlightened. I knew you were not a chef -- hence, perhaps an amateure. Beyond that, until a moment ago, I knew only that you articulate and knowledgeable, not that you were, indeed a professional journalist. No slight was intended.

Pardonnez moi, je vous en prie.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Pardonnez moi, je vous en prie.

Vous êtes tout pardonné, mon cher !

No offence, I thought that was funny. However — nice try, but the person who told you I am a professional journalist is not quite right in this. I am not a journalist, though I do write occasionally for the press. I am not exactly a chef, though some chefs have at times called me one. I wasn't vexed by the word "amateur", I was only meditating over it. Indeed many of us here are amateurs and professionals. It all depends on what.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reluctant to join in on them myself so far because while my French is good enough to read these rather easily, I'm out of practice with respect to writing in French.  I guess this would be a good opportunity to practice a bit... :rolleyes:

Ludja,

there's this forum, though I don't find it really in the same calibre as the French sites you gave here.

Ludja,

there's this forum, though I don't find it really in the same calibre as the French sites you gave here.

Many thanks, anzu. I will check it out!

Ludja,

Many thanks, anzu. I will check it out!

I was just about to ask the same question :smile:

Ooh, I will have to inform my husband's friends that "Essen mit den fingern ist 'in'!"

I still don't think they'll go for it :hmmm:

edit: Chinesische Leberpfanne? On second thought, maybe I need to polish up my French.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

edit: Chinesische Leberpfanne? On second thought, maybe I need to polish up my French.

Actually, leave out ALL the vegetables that are mentioned in that recipe, just cook it with liver, soy sauce, etc., and you end up with something very similar to something that a friend of mine from Shanghai cooks.

But the French sites are indeed better.

Edit: the comment about eating with the hands being in is preying on me. I keep getting visions of going to a restaurant and ordering Maultaschen, and eating them with my hands.

Jeez, I need to get a life! :wacko:

Edited by anzu (log)