• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feasting on Asphalt

bleachboy

It was a total blast...i have not see the show yet, my hotel in Atlanta does not get food net...uggh!

Really enjoyed your involvement in the show! Having a cop as a fixer makes perfect sense.

There is an Alton ramble that made it in the show that was wonderful, calling on the distinction between quickly aquiring food that is not fast to cook, vs the popular conception of fast food as also being fast to cook.

flavor floozy

There is an Alton ramble that made it in the show that was wonderful, calling on the distinction between quickly aquiring food that is not fast to cook, vs the popular conception of fast food as also being fast to cook.

Agreed! They might need to put it on a (BIG) bumper sticker! Too bad that most of the folks who need to hear and understand the message probably won't.

Great job, Chris! Congratulations!! (we need a fireworks smilie)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Alton reaches into the spice cabinet and pulls out a bottle of The Essense of Emeril. "Emeril?!" He looks into the camera, astonished "That guy is EVERYWHERE!" Alton turns to the host, "I don't know... I've been in close proximity to Emeril, and I know what he smells like..." He opens the container and takes a whiff. "Nah, that's not the essense of Emeril! Emeril smells -- muskier."

What a goof!

Poor little Ewok; even the nerds are picking on him now! :biggrin:

The Chris C/Alton B episode was one of the best things I ever saw on Food Network!

SB  :biggrin:  :laugh:  :smile:

Wow thanks....now I have to see it even more!...damn I have been waiting for months to see it and cant....arrgh!

I meant it most sincerely. It had a spontaneity that works so well for Alton.

You and "Jack Dunphy" are my two favorite LA cops! :wink:

Alton reaches into the spice cabinet and pulls out a bottle of The Essense of Emeril. "Emeril?!" He looks into the camera, astonished "That guy is EVERYWHERE!" Alton turns to the host, "I don't know... I've been in close proximity to Emeril, and I know what he smells like..." He opens the container and takes a whiff. "Nah, that's not the essense of Emeril! Emeril smells -- muskier."

What a goof!

I LOVED THAT! so much so that i take back what i wrote about Alton-he is the "tops"

:biggrin:

I thought the last episode was pretty good, felt like it had a lot of stuff in it. And it seemed to be rough on poor Alton - broken collar bone, yet he soldiered on, all the food he gorged on in LA, the pepper paint ball. The part with the muffler stew and hot lunch box (I had no idea they existed either) meatloaf was fun. Kind of sad the show's over...

I loved this show! The fact that most of the interviewees had never heard of him was hilarious. I love that gray and black jacket he's wearing in the promos, too.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

Where did Alton's buddies get their manifold cooker? I would LOVE to get one of those for my motorcycle. :wub:

Oh, and Chris, that was one homely looking gigantor burger you fed Alton. Classic!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Where did Alton's buddies get their manifold cooker?  I would LOVE to get one of those for my motorcycle.  :wub:

[...]

They said something on the show about them being designed for snomobiles.

...couple googles later...

Google Muffpot (good name, eh?)!

It looked like they had to modify the mount slightly to get it to work on a motorcycle.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The Chris C/Alton B episode was one of the best things I ever saw on Food Network!

Wow thanks....now I have to see it even more!...damn I have been waiting for months to see it and cant....arrgh!

Chris - I've been working from 7:30a-6p, then from 9pm to 1am every day for over a week on 3 engineering projects, and didn't get a chance to watch this episode until tonight.

You are my HERO my friend! Not only are you a real-life Hero as an officer, but your ability to present good eats to AB was just awesome. You are the most memorable personality AB visits on the entire series. AB lives up this way, and I wish I could have joined his tour on my own motorcycle. But I couldn't have taken that much time off from my work.

I'm sorry you missed the episode - I live in north ATL and wish you would have publicized your presence here. I coulda bought you a Sweetwater beer, or a donut from one of the oldest Krispy Kreme's, on Ponce de Leon.

However, since it's too late for that, I recorded the episode on my DVR/DVD recorder, and I would be happy to peel you off a copy if you want to PM me.

GREAT SHOW!

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

Chris - I've been working from 7:30a-6p, then from 9pm to 1am every day for over a week on 3 engineering projects, and didn't get a chance to watch this episode until tonight.

You are my HERO my friend! Not only are you a real-life Hero as an officer, but your ability to present good eats to AB was just awesome. You are the most memorable personality AB visits on the entire series. AB lives up this way, and I wish I could have joined his tour on my own motorcycle. But I couldn't have taken that much time off from my work.

I'm sorry you missed the episode - I live in north ATL and wish you would have publicized your presence here. I coulda bought you a Sweetwater beer, or a donut from one of the oldest Krispy Kreme's, on Ponce de Leon.

However, since it's too late for that, I recorded the episode on my DVR/DVD recorder, and I would be happy to peel you off a copy if you want to PM me.

GREAT SHOW!

Thank you so much....I loved Atlanta and the great food a well as the great people...I did manage to stop byAltons studio and grab a copy...it was fun to watch and sure was a blast to film....

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

They said something on the show about them being designed for snomobiles.

...couple googles later...

Google Muffpot (good name, eh?)!

It looked like they had to modify the mount slightly to get it to work on a motorcycle.

I'm normally pretty handy with Google. Anyhoo, after looking at how my motorcycle is laid out, I'm just going to get a couple of GI canteen cups and baling wire.

Screw capitalism.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I'm normally pretty handy with Google.  Anyhoo, after looking at how my motorcycle is laid out, I'm just going to get a couple of GI canteen cups and baling wire.

Screw capitalism.

Good idea!

I did think $35 was ridiculously expensive for something that looked like a modified military mess kit.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Loved this series, and as I think the consensus is, the best was for last - more congrats to Officer Chris Cognac. It was the only episode I could get my husband to watch and he really enjoyed it.

I love AB and would have to agree that the show, for the most part was a little disappointing, but at the same time, there were moments that were poetically honest (pig's feet and brain sandwich insights). For me it was worth the 20 minutes or so for a slice everyday guy wisdom. I also wonder if the 4 part hour format really stymies the whole cross-country journey -- seems too little time. Maybe it will work better as that expensive DVD set with "unseen" footage or a book. Some of those still shots they showed before commercial breaks said it all - it ain't the food. Its the people. I also think that's why the last episode worked so well -- for the first time, we got to spend some quality time with someone who knew the food -- knew the local "thing". I'd like to see more of those faces.

I hope there will be more of AB's journeys!

Edited by Cheeko (log)

AB, next time do the Trans America, or Pan America trail... on a dual-sport!

Weeble makes a dual-sport, the F650 Dakaaaa-aaarrrrr.... :biggrin:

And, if you need medical support for it, I'll offer my services for food and fuel!

Adding my kudos as well, Chris. Still overall a little disappointed in FoA as a whole, but have watched the Hawthorne episode twice now. I'm a little hurt that AB got to ride in the squad car and I didn't, but I had two good arms and am somewhat less famous, so I guess I'll get over it. :cool:

And he didn't get any ajo (on air, anyway), so that's some consolation.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher