• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feasting on Asphalt

bleachboy

I have always liked AB, but thought the idea of another on-the-backroads finding the "hidden treasure" restaurants is not needed.  I'm waiting for the day when Jane and Michael Stern, Bourdain, the Dean Bros. & Alton all converge on the same hot dog stand in bum-f*ck Iowa.

And Gordon Ramsey will be screaming four-letter words at his "Hell's Kitchen" charges, as they try to feed the lunch rush with their own personal twist on the American hot dog, with a visit to the corn field's of Iowa as the the "reward."

"Awww. Sara, ya' dumb cow. He asked for relish! Not f*cking onions!"

Heh, as I was watching GE: BtE I thought to myself, "I can't imagine Alton running a restaurant - he's WAY too nice."

I don't know. Maybe you all should get on a motorcycle and see the world from his perspective before you start turning your noses up at this project. Until you've experienced your surroundings on a bike, by being actually in them instead of insulated from them, you just don't get it.

I live near AB north of ATL. I have a Triumph Thunderbird Sport, and I am enjoying this show immensely. Mine is more of a classic style than a touring bike like his BMW 1200, but I get out on weekends and venture north into the mountains for a few hours. You stop where you can, and on two lane roads, it's places like he is highlighting on this series. You develop favorite routes and places. He is doing what I only dream about, namely taking a sabbatical and ride two lane roads across the country, stopping in at all the roadside mom and pop places that actually capture the tastes of the locals, like it was before the interstates bypassed the real America. You drivers will traverse entire states without having to step out of your air conditioned Land Rovers for fuel and even then, you're not more than a hundred yards off the interstate and not mixing with the locals like you have to on a bike. On a bike, you really do smell the cut grass, and blossoms, and you can smell the barbecue from miles away.

This is more real than most of the other foodie shows I've seen for a while.

Thank you, Alton Brown, for an inspirational show. I wonder how many critics secretly envy your freedom and courage to do this. If I can find a more comfortable saddle, I will try to stretch my range a few more hours because of your compelling presentation.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

Well, yeah, experiencing the world on a bike is much more of an experience than in a car. Or on your sofa watching the show. Like I said, it's just an excuse for them to take a road trip.

You also forgot to mention the other experiences of motorcycles: freezing your ass off in the rain, the fatigue, the elements (sun, bugs, etc.), the drivers who cut you off because they don't see you, the spills when there's unseen sand on pavement where you're turning, the car that pulls out in front of you causing you to hit them and fly off your bike over the car cracking your head on the pavement and wrecking your bike (hey, AB wiped out too...) -- all of which happened to me. I both loved and hated having a motorcycle. I think I know what the experience of being on a bike is, and I stand by what I said about the show - mildly interesting, unless of course I was doing the trip in which case it would be a helluva enjoyable trip.

Well, yeah, experiencing the world on a bike is much more of an experience than in a car. Or on your sofa watching the show. Like I said, it's just an excuse for them to take a road trip.

You also forgot to mention the other experiences of motorcycles: freezing your ass off in the rain, the fatigue, the elements (sun, bugs, etc.), the drivers who cut you off because they don't see you, the spills when there's unseen sand on pavement where you're turning, the car that pulls out in front of you causing you to hit them and fly off your bike over the car cracking your head on the pavement and wrecking your bike (hey, AB wiped out too...) -- all of which happened to me. I both loved and hated having a motorcycle. I think I know what the experience of being on a bike is, and I stand by what I said about the show - mildly interesting, unless of course I was doing the trip in which case it would be a helluva enjoyable trip.

Please don't forget to mention the "folks" that even in these enlightened times, seem to feel that anyone on a bike (of any shape or kind) is a close relative of Satan...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I caught part of tonight's episode of Feasting on Asphalt and was thrilled when Alton said that the fried pig brains sandwich that he bought at a little spot in Evansville, Indiana didn't taste very good.

I've always remarked to my husband that every single chef/cook on the Food Network seems to enjoy every single meal that they've prepared, tasted or created. Particularly Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels or $40 a day shows...everything she eats is delicious. I just can't buy that.

So for Alton to admit that the brain sandwich blew, just made my evening. :laugh:

My husband and I are LOVING this show. We both ride and recently did a road trip from home in Philly to Hot Springs NC via the Blue Ridge Parkway. On the road you are forced to endulge in whatever is available along the way. It's great to know there are some stops that can be more than just sustanance. I for one love a great hot dog and would rather have that on the road than fast food. Unfortunately, many times because of availability you are limited. I hope Alton writes a book documenting his finds while traveling on the bike.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

So for Alton to admit that the brain sandwich blew, just made my evening. :laugh:

Yeah, the last time I saw anything as honest as that was Keith Floyd. A breath of fresh air, this show. Not only that, but I also really enjoyed his follow-up comments about how such "acquired taste"-foods can be an important link to your cultural inheritance -- the fact that most people don't like it can actually be a good thing.

Methinks this is absolutely true, and also damn important. The word "mosaic" is supposed to describe this culturally diverse land, not the older phrase "melting pot." Because your culture -- culinary or otherwise -- shouldn't be melted down and blended into a giant, boring, homogenous stew.

Hence my dislike of the pro-McDonalds argument, that it is a good thing to know that you can "enjoy" the same BigMac in San Antonio, New York and Pensacola -- and Tokyo and Stockholm, for that matter. It's like the next step is the scenario from Demolition Man -- all restaurants are Taco Bell.

::Curses, and falls off his soap box::

I dont know untill Alton finds some really good gas station chicken....we have him beat.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89238

Food near the Blue Ridge....hmmmm.....ummmm nope

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Second episode: much better than episode 1. The Duncan Hines history was a little hokey, and not going after the honey was very expected. However, the brain sandwich bit was spectacular. I could just see smoke pour out of his ears as he attempted to not say bad things about it right there at the tavern.

Good stuff.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I love the concept, love all things Alton, but find it a little painful to watch when he's interviewing the chefs/owners of each establishment. He had some good mojo going with the lady in the kitchen at The Biscuit Place, but whenever he's doing more of a "formal" interview it seems kind of awkard or forced. Can't put my finger on it, but it is definitely magnified by the "who in the hell is this guy" vibe many of his subjects give off (which I guess could be viewed as adding to the charm of a semi-unscripted road food show).

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Watching this show just prods me to re-read "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. True 'road food' was indicated by how many calendars the joint had hanging up. I wish he would do a follow up, 25 years later, but please don't let a cable tv network be involved.

I FINALLY got to see this show, and while Alton could pretty much do the entire works of Shakespeare as Spongebob Squarepants and it would be good, it could be better. But then again, it could be worse.

( ok, maybe not GOOD, but watchable. Unlike some of the " serious " cooks on FN )

I do think that alot of the people he's visiting have no clue who he is, and couldn't find FN on their tv dial ( and I do mean dial, NOT remote control ) if they tried. But that's not his fault.

I'll continue to watch it.

The second episode was more interesting than the first - Colonel Sanders, Duncan Hines, the custard place. But I was also reminded of how much more I like No Reservations and especially A Cook's Tour. I suspect Bourdain's reaction to the brain sandwich would have been similar to this reaction to the fermented shark, or the iguana ("I wanted to gouge my eyes out, I wanted to ...!").

And, yeah, narrating while riding the motorcycle does NOT work.

I think narrating on the motorcycle would work for AB if he were more like bourdain. Y'know, swearing at the traffic in a good New York gutter patois and giving us a really good idea of what agony badly misunderstood food can cause for your innards.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

As an Australian, I've had to content myself with getting American TV shows like this off the internet and it's not often that I can see one with the ads still intact. As a result, I think I burst out laughing for almost 5 minutes straight when I found out that FoA was sponsored by Lipitor! I can't think of a more perfect marriage.

PS: I am a guy.

I wish he'd eat something a bit more interesting that hotdogs. What about boiled peanuts, or something? Chitlins? He tried his best with pickled pig food, but it's not nearly as ballsy as Anthony Bourdain chugging a snake heart.

Where on Route 66 do they serve snake hearts? Less'n' of course you runs over it yerself.....

What I really take away from this show is the desire to take the path less traveled. The interstate highways speed us past some very interesting places. Taking the Tamiami trail from Tampa to Miami is so much more interesting than flying down Interstate 75. The is so much history that you miss if you've never taken the back roads.

Boy, the segment on top of Pikes Peak was lame, but it didn't look like they were up there in the summer when it's overrun with tourists. There's a lot of junk on the top, except for about a bare quarter of it which looked like that's where they were filming. There's a cog railway that runs up to the top, right next to a big cafeteria and gift shop (which I'm guessing wasn't open because I'm sure they would have filmed in there), there's several monuments and memorials, maintenance and utility structures, parking lots, and otherwise bulldozed ground. A real eye-sore, especially if you've spent hours hiking up. The view to the east is impressive, and the hike up takes a lot of endurance (took me about 11 or 13 hours round-trip, can't remember which -- there are ultra-marathoners who can run up the about 12.5 miles and over 7000 vertical feet to the top one-way in two hours and change).

I am thinking they started their trip in May or early June. The flatland was warm and comfortable, but somebody forgot to tell them that the high country is danged cold that time of year.

They like to froze to death camping at that high altitude campground--you would think somebody would have told them to either carry down bags or or to camp down in the valleys that time of year.

It is possible to cook and camp comfortably in cold, cold weather like that, but you need some know-how, and they obviously didn't have it.

Other than that, I have been enjoying the show. Gonna have to get myself up to Ted Drewes before the summer is over.

sparrowgrass

there are ultra-marathoners who can run up the about 12.5 miles and over 7000 vertical feet to the top one-way in two hours and change).

Not all of them are ultramarathoners, but all are sufficiently crazy. I did the marathon last year, and even in August, when I got to the summit at ~noon it was 30 degrees.

I do agree that someone should have given them a sanity check, but I doubt that they were checking in with the home office regularly enough for the home office to do that (if TVFN has that much sense...). Granted, they could have asked a local about the wisdom of their choice and then purchased gear.

Oh well. I thought the third episode was better than the first. That looked like some STRONG coffee, though. I wonder if AB has more hair on his chest, now.

Heh, yeah, camping with a sleeping bag that isn't rated cold enough is real misery. I didn't blame them at all for bugging out.

When I climbed Pikes Peak, there were many marathoners doing practice runs up -- most had nothing more than running shoes, shorts, maybe a shirt, and a fanny pack with a couple water bottles (and presumably maybe a few sport bars and rain poncho). I've encountered some nasty conditions on fourteeners and other mountains (mostly lightning storms, and some really cold conditions), but I can't fully imagine the conditions somebody like Aron Ralston -- who climbs fourteeners in the dead of winter -- has experienced.

there are ultra-marathoners who can run up the about 12.5 miles and over 7000 vertical feet to the top one-way in two hours and change).

Not all of them are ultramarathoners, but all are sufficiently crazy. I did the marathon last year, and even in August, when I got to the summit at ~noon it was 30 degrees.

I do agree that someone should have given them a sanity check, but I doubt that they were checking in with the home office regularly enough for the home office to do that (if TVFN has that much sense...). Granted, they could have asked a local about the wisdom of their choice and then purchased gear.

Oh well. I thought the third episode was better than the first. That looked like some STRONG coffee, though. I wonder if AB has more hair on his chest, now.

Jsoloman, I was there last August when they had the marathon. We stayed at a little B & B at the base of Pikes Peak. No way I was a part of the marathon but when we took the train up the the summit there were wall to wall runners stranded at the top. There was nasty weather and hail. People were stranded alll over the moutain. It was crazy.

i watched all 4 episodes, and found them amusing at least. I'm now looking for DVDs for my son who missed most of them by going away to Navy Boot Camp -- to become a Submarine chef.

I know Pikes Peak is the local thrill, but I don't understand why they didn't go up Mt. Evans -- the highest paved road in North America. It's higher, and the road is paved. I prefered Mt. Evans to Pikes Peak when I visited in 2004.