• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feasting on Asphalt

bleachboy

• 10 months later...

I still think that part of the premise of this show is dubious. However, I wish Alton a speedy recovery.

Collar bones are the achilles heel of both bicyclists and motorcyclists.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I still think that part of the premise of this show is dubious.  However, I wish Alton a speedy recovery.

true, I broke mine riding a bicycle.

Living on the original Route 66, I didn't see where that was entering into his schedule unless it is where he crosses it in Amarillo. I have no input for his trip since he is going the southern route.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Let me tell you, he was hurting big time....he came and filmed w me in L.A. just after he fell....we drove around in my police car and everytime I hit a bump he would cringe in pain.....check out altonbrown.com and look at the photo that was taken right after the accident....he was a trooper though...we shot for about 10 hrs and he sucked up the pain so he could finish the show.....it was kinda funny though as we ate a giant burger and I had to hold it for him while he tried to eat it....but it was so big it just exploded all over the place...

He told me that he is doing much better now and is riding again....

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I still think that part of the premise of this show is dubious.  However, I wish Alton a speedy recovery.

...and snowboarders...a broken collar bone is for life...I always will have a hump on my left clavicle due to a major wipe out my 3rd time boarding (8 years ago!). Total pain too. I saw the pic of Alton on his website--yep, that's what it feels like. It'll throb--forever. Speedy recovery for Mr. Brown, and best wishes for the new show!

~Segue (34 year old lopsided woman boarder...)

• 1 month later...
Anybody watch? AB's site states Feasting on Asphalt premiered July 29. There was also a behind the scenes episode of Good Eats. Unfortunately I missed both.

I watched it. I'd be less than truthful if I didn't admit to being disappointed. Maybe my expectations for anything AB does are just unrealistically high. I'll give it another try, though.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Anybody watch? AB's site states Feasting on Asphalt premiered July 29. There was also a behind the scenes episode of Good Eats. Unfortunately I missed both.

I watched it. I'd be less than truthful if I didn't admit to being disappointed. Maybe my expectations for anything AB does are just unrealistically high. I'll give it another try, though.

I only got to watch the first 15 minutes (some sort of conflict with the DVR timer) and wasn't blown away either. I DID like the inside look to Good Eats that aired just before (damned DVR recorded THAT!)

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I really enjoyed Feating on Asphalt. Maybe I hold an opposite view from some of you -- and had low expectations... I like Alton, but get a bit frustrated with the shtick -- particularly when a certain percentage of his stuff is almost completely impractical, like building temporary pizza ovens from bricks heated in the oven on its cleaning cycle, running hairdryers in your Weber grill, or that Scrap Iron Chef show that was just a complete waste.

Granted, it's just a "Someone traveling around and eating at various places"-show, and that isn't exactly groundbreaking stuff... There's some trypical trivia and info, which Alton is great with, and it also had a sort of casual, unscripted and generally fun feel to it. Compared to show of the same genre, it was a breath of fresh air.

I watched it. A show of that genre, if it wasn't Alton Brown to Anthony Bourdain, I doubt I would watch it. Also, if by some magic of computers, Alton Brown were replaced with Jessica Simpson nude, I wouldn't watch it.

I watch it because I like Alton. It didn't seem to be groundbreaking, or that terribly interesting. But, it was a good break from writing application essays for med school!

I was also a little disappointed that Alton introduced his support team, but then they get uber-short shrift with the microphone time. Ditto with their restaurant-choosing decision conversations. I'd like some access to that, if I'm going to spend 4 hours watching a show on road food.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

darn it -- missed it. I've got to pay more attention to my TV schedule. Guess I'll have to run over and see when it repeats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I thought it was pretty good, although I'm only 50/50 on 'travel food' shows (Bourdain being a notable positive, $40 a day being nails on chalkboard). I was at first weirded out, then happy about the 'wandering' nature of the show (all the way back to Charlotte?); that's the way I would film a road food show, personally. And being from the South originally, I can't wait to see some of the barbeque he runs into.

I agree, the other guys on the drive should get a little more face time, but then again, we'd probably find out that those guys are witty as cardboard if given the chance.

I'll be interested to see if they show the actual crash, and what factors led into it; that's all I could think about when he was looking down and narrating while driving in this first episode.

***Behind Good Eats Spoiler below***

W is a chiropractor - who woulda thunk it?

"Give it to Neil. I'll bet he'll eat it."

I'll be interested to see if they show the actual crash, and what factors led into it...

According to his interview on Ron & Fez last week, they will be showing the crash in episode four.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

I agree...throughly enjoyable. While I do think ABs sthick can get a bit old, this was a well thought out, well produced travel show. Given how the FoodNetwork has been moving quickly out of "instruction" and into entertainment with talking bobbleheads, it was reassuring to see some actual knowlegable content via AB. Good job..keep it up!..oh yeah, and come to Napa!

Lifes more fun with good friends, a lot of wine and great food!

I have always liked AB, but thought the idea of another on-the-backroads finding the "hidden treasure" restaurants is not needed. I'm waiting for the day when Jane and Michael Stern, Bourdain, the Dean Bros. & Alton all converge on the same hot dog stand in bum-f*ck Iowa.

Did anyone else have a problem with understand Alton as he talked while riding his motorcycle. It annoyed the hell out of me.

But then again, look at Food Networks new line up:

AB on motorcycle

The Dean Bros. (enouch daid)

Bobby takin on the "locals"

&

Rachel being Rachel.

Sheez!

ri

"the only thing we knew for sure about henry porter was that his name wasn't henry porter" : bob

Yeah, I didn't find FOA more than mildly interesting. Making biscuits? Wow! ;P The show's just an excuse to take a road trip (aren't they all?), but Alton seems like a nice guy and I love Good Eats, so I'll keep watching.

The Good Eats behind the scenes episode was great. Sure is a lot that goes on behind the camera. And it seems like it'd be a great show to work on - a lot of wacky fun.

I wish he'd eat something a bit more interesting that hotdogs. What about boiled peanuts, or something? Chitlins? He tried his best with pickled pig food, but it's not nearly as ballsy as Anthony Bourdain chugging a snake heart.

Yeah, I didn't find FOA more than mildly interesting. Making biscuits? Wow! ;P The show's just an excuse to take a road trip (aren't they all?)

Can you blame him? If I had AB's cache with TVFN, I'd sure as heck pitch a motorcycle road-trip to them.

Memo: To me, remember to pitch motorcycle road-trip to DW.

I have always liked AB, but thought the idea of another on-the-backroads finding the "hidden treasure" restaurants is not needed.  I'm waiting for the day when Jane and Michael Stern, Bourdain, the Dean Bros. & Alton all converge on the same hot dog stand in bum-f*ck Iowa.

Heh, that's hilarious and sad because it's probably a distinct possibility. They might also run into Mike Rowe and Dirty Jobs -- they have done quite a few food-related shows; just recently they visited a "cracklin'" maker (which was WAY more interesting than FOA's lame pickled pig's feet bit).

I have always liked AB, but thought the idea of another on-the-backroads finding the "hidden treasure" restaurants is not needed.  I'm waiting for the day when Jane and Michael Stern, Bourdain, the Dean Bros. & Alton all converge on the same hot dog stand in bum-f*ck Iowa.

And Gordon Ramsey will be screaming four-letter words at his "Hell's Kitchen" charges, as they try to feed the lunch rush with their own personal twist on the American hot dog, with a visit to the corn field's of Iowa as the the "reward."

"Awww. Sara, ya' dumb cow. He asked for relish! Not f*cking onions!"