• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating In and Around the Shenadoah Valley

Busboy

• 2 months later...

16 days to go need more food.....we are actually staying 1st night in Waynesboro VA...I see they have a Shoney's

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 3 years later...

I can't remember my own kid's names but I can remember topics I started years ago. :laugh:

Anyway, just in time for your summer trip to the Blue Ridge/Great Smokies, I came up with two new tips.

First, way down in Chilhowie, Virginia, down I-81/Rt. 11 almost to the Tenessee line, is the quasi-molecular Town House Restaurant, two Trotter acolytes in a one-horse town.

And then, while plotting a possible trip later this summer, I came across this list of restaurants that use Polyface Farms meats. If you're unfamiliar with Polyface, they are to Niman Ranch as Niman Ranch is to Oscar Myer; fabulous and fabulously hip; featured by Momofuko and occupying a full chapter of one of those Michael Pollan books. You know the one where he kills a wild pig in the last section.

Anyway, I haven't eaten at any of these places, but the fact that they feature Polyface is a real good sign. So if your around Staunton (pronounced STANton, btw), Lexington, Harrisonburg and the like (and you should be this summer -- gorgeous countryside out there) you have a fighting chance at a decent meal.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a very nice lunch at One Block West in Winchester on Saturday. Two highlights: the spicy gazpacho, which was as good as or better than any I have eaten previously(other than homemade)and the local berries with passionfruit curd. The latter dish included something I've never before eaten in a restaurant--wineberries. Somebody went to quite a bit of work to pick those things because, although they are common in parts of the east, it takes a lot of them to make a pint.