• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Seattle dining spots...

We're visiting for a week starting Thursday, staying at the Edgewater, and would love some recommendations. Our children are 12 and 9, well-behaved and frequently presentable, but with limited palates. "Family-friendly" is fine if the food's good, but we may also try for one nice meal by our standards! We won't have a car but are willing to take taxis if necessary.

Thanks!

Susan

Cascadia has children's options while offering a very adult menu.

Brasserie Margaux in the Warwick would be a good option as well.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Restaurant Zoe has been mentioned as kid friendly - now that the owners have a couple themselves. It's a great spot, but you might check with them about menu options.

How about Cafe Lago (sorry Carla...) or Vios? Not close by though.

La Vita e Bella might be good, and it's pretty close (uphill.)

How about Cafe Lago (sorry Carla...) or Vios? Not close by though.

La Vita e Bella might be good, and it's pretty close (uphill.)

Don't be sorry, t. I love kids, remember? Lago is always full of them, mine included. :biggrin:

I second Vios.

Most kids love Chinooks; nice view, well designed space and halibut/chips. Blue Sushi in U Village or Fremont is usually a kick.

Cafe Campagne might be good, especially with older kids like these (the last time I was there for weekend brunch, which is delicious, there were several families with small children). Their food is excellent, and the menu includes French fries. And of course there are lots of other good places to eat all over Pike Place Market, nice places or grab and go. I once had lunch at Matt's with a ten-year-old and it was fine (the food is highly recommended). He was a little uncertain about some of the food, but perked up over dessert.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I know I sound hard on them but Blue Onion Bistro is a really good place for kids. They have a new chef I believe and things are looking up there. The owners are longtime parents and know how to handle kids which I unfortunately am very bad at. I really never catered to them. Hey I am a bachelor so what can I say.

I have to say, you might want to go to The Cheesecake Factory. I think the food is good, but not Seattle-centric (ie. a non-Seattle chain). The menu is so big it would be hard to not find something the kids would like.

Too bad the food at The Old Spaghetti Factory sucks, because kids love that place.

Since you are at the Edgewater, you might try The Waterfront.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Flying Fish always seems to have a "non-adventurous" dish or two, like fried chicken, and there are things they can eat with their hands like crab and shellfish. I assume you'll be going early anyway, but before 7 is probably best. Belltown at night is probably a little too sceney for a 9 year old.

Too "sceney" in what sense?

In the sense of bar-hopping young, beautiful urbanites/hipsters.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.