• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there any locations within the Seattle city limits that sell raw milk or raw cream? Or is this something I'll have to go directly to a farm to pick up?

Any help in locating these products will be very much appreciated.

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

Accidental Hedonist - Food, travel and other irrelevent irreverence

As I understand it, it's not legal to sell unpasteurized milk/cream to the general public. My friends who make cheese as a hobby had to "buy a share" of a goat in order to be able to legally get the milk.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I did some research this morning, and found out that it's actually not illegal to sell raw milk (perhaps this is a new development). In <a href="http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=30666" target="_blank">an article in the Portland Tribune</a>, I found out that "Washington State already allows stores to sell raw milk in some of its counties" -- although I haven't found out specifically which counties these are.

On the Real Milk website, I found a listing of <a href="http://realmilk.com/where5.html" target="_blank">several places in Washington</a> that sell raw milk. Most of these seem to be goat milk.

As far as the Seattle city limits, King County doesn't seem to be one that bans the sale of raw milk. (See: <a href="http://www.metrokc.gov/health/about/history/milk.htm" target="_blank">History of Public Health's Dairy Inspection program</a>). But where to get it?!!?

I found the website of <a href="http://graceharborfarms.com/raw_milk.htm" target="_blank">Grace Harbor Farms</a>, which is in Custer, WA. According to the site, raw milk from their farms is available at Whole Foods in Bellevue, which is pretty close, and Les Fromages de Anne Marie in the Seattle area Farmer's Markets. Has anyone seen that stand around?

I found the website of <a href="http://graceharborfarms.com/raw_milk.htm" target="_blank">Grace Harbor Farms</a>, which is in Custer, WA.  According to the site, raw milk from their farms is available at Whole Foods in Bellevue, which is pretty close, and Les Fromages de Anne Marie in the Seattle area Farmer's Markets.  Has anyone seen that stand around?

I think that Les Fromages is at the Friday farmers market on Madison (20th and Madison?), because I bought cheese from them at this market when it used to be at Broadway and Pine. I don't remember seeing milk for sale, but they had an excellent cheese selection.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I think that Les Fromages is at the Friday farmers market on Madison (20th and Madison?), because I bought cheese from them at this market when it used to be at Broadway and Pine. I don't remember  seeing milk for sale, but they had an excellent cheese selection.

They come to the Ballard sunday market as well & I don't recall seeing goat milk, but I'm all about the cheese so I might not have noticed. They sometimes sell a very liquidy goat yoghurt in milk-type bottles, so it would be easy for milk to blend in...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

It became legal to sell raw milk in Washignton just in the last few months. I recall hearing of a place getting ready to start bottling it. Need to find out who it was.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

• 4 weeks later...

Just checked in at the Pike Place Market Creamery. They have raw goat's milk from a dairy in Duvall, WA for $5 a quart. Raw cow's milk is coming soon... they have a supplier on Vashon, but no way to get it delivered yet. I'm on a list to get notified when they have it -- I'll report back here when I do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

You might want tocal ahead first. I don't know about the raw cow milk but the raw goat milk is available only intermitently (I think the goats just wrapped up a dry spell recently).

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

You might want tocal ahead first.  I don't know about the raw cow milk but the raw goat milk is available only intermitently (I think the goats just wrapped up a dry spell recently).

Also, if you live on the East Side, you can pick up the raw goat's milk at the Family Grocer in Duvall.

--Dave