• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch in Vancouver/Western Canada

Ling

I think I've found plenty of lunch & dinner recommendations by searching past topics. I haven't seen anything particular about brunch. We are very big fans of breakfast/brunch.

Are there recommendations for weekend brunch places?

My recs? Provence Marinaside, Aurora Bistro, and Cafe Artigiano (740 Hastings Street location). All are excellent. Aurora may be outside of your travel "range", but the other two are within the downtown area.

Enjoy!

A.

Aurora may be outside of your travel "range", but the other two are within the downtown area.

Aurora is worth the short drive from downtown for those little spiced donuts they have on the brunch menu. And there is a great secondhand bookstore next door. Little donuts plus coffee plus bookstore = nice way to wile away a few hours.

• 9 months later...

Need your help! Being the ever so dutiful daughter, I need to find a brunch place for Mother's Day that is toddler friendly. The kids in question are used to restaurant settings (i.e. can sit quietly for more than an hour) but we would prefer a place that is not too quiet, where we are not the only table with kids.

I've done my research from above and narrowed my choices (based on menus) to Feenie's, Provence Marinaside, Wedgewood Hotel and Adesso Bistro. Which place would not be offended by giggles in a booster seat?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

I'd go with Provence it should be pretty family friendly and you have the added bonus of the seawall for a pre or after brunch stroll right at your door.

Yes, I think you would be most comfortable at Provence in Yaletown because it is roomy enough to negotiate a stroller and spaceous enough to give you some privacy in a corner, or you may be able to sit outside if weather permits.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Yes, I think you would be most comfortable at Provence in Yaletown because it is roomy enough to negotiate a stroller and spaceous enough to give you some privacy in a corner, or you may be able to sit outside if weather permits.

To further the Provence bandwagon. They also have a deli side which makes very tasty panini's and other assorted goodies. You could also grab a big to-go bag and take mum out onto the seawall and find a nice patch of grass to picnic. Kids can go wild on the grass, parents and mums can chill on the lawn.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I think Feenies would be a good choice also. The menu is accessible and offers a good range of choices and value for money.

In the day - the decor is less over the top and everybody seems more relaxed. I always find the lunch hour services miles ahead of dinner for some reason. If the weather cooperates - a seat on the outdoor patio is a really pleasant way to pass the brunch hour.

I think Feenies would be a good choice also.  The menu is accessible and offers a good range of choices and value for money. 

In the day - the decor is less over the top and everybody seems more relaxed.  I always find the lunch hour services miles ahead of dinner for some reason.  If the weather cooperates - a seat on the outdoor patio is a really pleasant way to pass the brunch hour.

I would be cautious about reccomending Feenies because it can be quite a tight squeeze inside. If you can get a seat on the patio, and if it is non-smoking, it may be all right. Having said this, sometimes you can dine at low density times-say in between lunch and dinner- what Trafalger's calls "Drunch", and you would probably be fine.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

• 10 months later...

Sandy and I had a marvelous brunch at Seb's down on Broadway and St. George (about 3-4 blocks east on Main). We got to sit at the counter watching the chef (is that Seb? I didn't ask). That man is a machine and so efficient! The Benny's are incredible and I ordered a side of sausage which was nicely spiced. I can't believe I'd never heard of this place but I really enjoyed it.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Seb's is named after Sebastian, the young son of Owner/Chef François Godbout. Their breads and preserves are all made in-house. It's one of the Mouse family's favourite brunch spots... glad you enjoyed your meal!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

^

I like the french toast banana bread at Seb's.  Zuchinni Mama turned me on to it.

We thought it was just straight French Toast on observation but if that's banana bread being drenched with egg and cooked. I need to go back...like now.