• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Stores in the South

We're moving from the DC suburbs to Myrtle Beach SC next summer, and as someone who loves to cook, I'm a bit concerned about the shopping experiences I'll have to adjust to. Now, I have a great variety of grocery stores to choose from - ethnic and chains. Having looked in the phone book in SC, basically I'll choose from Food Lion (I know about this one), Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, an Asian store and several Mexican ones. I just heard that Harris Teeter is closed there :shock: and am unfamiliar with the others. How do the the 2 chains there compare with those in the 'big cities'? Will I have the variety of products? I'm thrilled with the fresh seafood markets and know I will have no problem finding fresh produce during the summer. But what about the variety of items that I've become accustomed to finding easily? I love Trader Joe's and Whole Foods but don't think I'll be seeing those...

Edited by MicBacchus (log)

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

Kroger did a "switch-out" in certain parts of the South with Harris Teeter several years ago. For some reason, they just switched locations with each other, trading store for store, from what I heard from the manager of the Kroger here.

Of those stores listed, Kroger is the most likely to be "upscale". They also will be more expensive.

Another point I've heard about Kroger is that they pay their employees much better than the other chains, which is one reason for the higher prices.

If desparation strikes, you can drive to Mount Pleasant, about 2.5 hours away...they have a Whole Foods :smile:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

My heart goes out to you. MB is without question a culinary wasteland. I am in the wholesale food business and know the real story about what the restaurants buy and what the locals and tourists are willing to eat.

More imported shrimp and sub-choice beef are sold in MB than in any other market I can think of.

Be careful.

There is a large Bi-Lo there which is just fine! ... the website

the map to the Bi-Lo on 38th .. please note that there are two country clubs in that area .. surely their members don't simply eat McDonald's every day ... :hmmm:

Actually, you might just be quite surprised .. Kroger and Costco are both fine as well .. you won't starve! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Bluntly, you wont find the variety of foods available in DC. You may want to find online sources for the things you can't do without. The main drawbacks are convenience and shipping and handling. But you can find great cheeses, coffees, teas, wines, oils, etc. online--much better than in DC even. Along with the fresh fish and produce, you could eat quite well. The worst thing for me would be the dearth of good restaurants, especially ethnic ones.

These people with positive things to say about Kroger are comparing to Piggly Wiggly, I think. But Kroger is closer to Piggly Wiggly than to Whole Foods.

Piggly Wiggly (the SC ones owned by Piggly Wiggly Carolina) has made an effort to go a lot more upscale than they used to be. In Columbia, Piggly Wiggly took over a lot of the former Harris Teeter locations. Unfortunately I notice the difference in the prices as well. I find that Kroger here actually tends to be cheaper than Piggly Wiggly. Around here, the Kroger stores tend to be older.

I'm surprised Publix hasn't hit that area yet - they are in Columbia, Charleston and Greenville. By far they are the best of the supermarket chains here.

At least in my area(southeast Georgia), Harris Teeter seems to have the best produce, but overall Publix has the greatest variety. Ethnic foods seem much easier to find there, and there's another interesting factor. Harris Teeter actually has a policy against ordering specific foods for consumers, whereas Publix will order things upon request, if their supplies can procure it. Very useful for some of those less carried items.

I can't resist asking whether there's a Winn Dixie in Myrtle Beach. That name always amuses me, because you know that's one chain that has no aspirations to open any branches north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Michael aka "Pan"

I can't resist asking whether there's a Winn Dixie in Myrtle Beach.

can't resist telling you that they do ... :huh:

An aside here: Piggly Wiggly was featured prominently in "Driving Miss Daisy" ... a venerable old Southern grocery chain apparently still in business ...

Piggly Wiggly was the FIRST to…

…provide checkout stands.

…price mark every item in the store.

…give shoppers more for their food dollar through high volume/low profit margin retailing.

…feature a full line of nationally advertised brands.

…use refrigerated cases to keep produce fresher longer.

…put employees in uniforms for cleaner, more sanitary food handling.

…design and use patented fixtures and equipment throughout the store.

…franchise independent grocers to operate under the self-service method of food merchandising.

source

I'm thrilled with the fresh seafood markets and know I will have no problem finding fresh produce during the summer.  But what about the variety of items that I've become accustomed to finding easily?  I love Trader Joe's and Whole Foods but don't think I'll be seeing those...

Wow. Myrtle Beach. So sorry.

But as you point out, it could be worse. Fresh local seafood and produce (which you'll find are available farther year 'round than just summer) are nothing to sneeze at, and the Mexican and Asian markets may well be good alternatives for meats and more produce and dry goods variety.

And should you decide that you need to out to eat, you can simply fly via Hooters Air to a number of appropriate destinations. We've got great restaurants and amazing groceries here in Atlanta---come for a weekend of dining and return with your suitcases full of groceries.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I can't resist asking whether there's a Winn Dixie in Myrtle Beach. That name always amuses me, because you know that's one chain that has no aspirations to open any branches north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

They've declared bankruptcy though, so they are closing all their stores in SC by the end of the year...

I know; as a northerner (aka 'damn yankee' :smile: ) this also cracked me up during my sojourn in the South. I wonder if the same company owned the supermarkets call "Grand Union" up in the Northeast...

(I had never thought of what "Grand Union" might mean until I saw the "Winn Dixie's" down South).

edited for typo

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Something to look forward to, you will only be 94 miles from Charleston. So weekend trips to dine should be fun.

I find that when I move to a new place, I try to find what is good about a place instead of focusing on what they don't have. IT makes the experience of the new place a lot more fun. Plus, look at all the golf you will get to play. Surely some of those clubs will have decent dining rooms with credentialed chefs. And you can order in what you can not find. I do and I live in a medium sized city which does not have everything.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I forgot to add, Kroger's is one of the largest grocery chains in the United States. They have access to lots of stuff that is not stocked at every store. If there is something you want or need, ask them to get it in for you. I use my local grocery here that way. (Not a Krogers, but a local chain) And they have found themselves adding to their local product inventory.

edited to add link

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

A strategy, which I've been using for the past seven years of living in small towns with supermarkets not quite what I'd like: make a point of visiting other towns or cities in your area. Find out what they have, explore their offerings...and bring a cooler loaded with ice so you can take home any goodies you might find in the local markets. Sure, it takes a little bit of preparation. But that way you get a break from the ordinary, and you often find nice surprises.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I know; as a northerner (aka 'damn yankee'  :smile: ) this also cracked me up during my sojourn in the South.  I wonder if the same company owned the supermarkets call "Grand Union" up in the Northeast...

(I had never thought of "Grand Union" might mean until I saw the "Winn Dixie's" down South).

"Grand Union" stores in the South were actually branded as "Big Star." Same company.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

I don't know about all of you naysayers but it would appear that MicBacchus will eat just fine .. between the many groceries in Myrtle Beach, and the options of online delicacies, no one is in "food extremis".

Looks to me that she'll learn the 'lay of the land' culinarily and in short order because she is interested and is requesting information well in advance of her moving in ... when I first moved to a new town, my concerns were about homes and schools and cultural things ... completely forgot about groceries... :huh:

The demise of Winn Dixie has been long expected by those of us who avoided the place like the plague ...

Kroger here, has much better meat than the other chains (Food Lion and. . .omg. . .Wal-Mart!? Yes, that is the extent of it, here).

But they do not carry some cuts of meat that are still considered to be perhaps for a different market. And they did not show any inclination to order these different things when I've enquired before, but that could be an independent management decision specific to this store, perhaps.

Veal breast, many sorts of offal, some cuts of pork. . .Food Lion is the place to find these. And Wal-Mart actually has become the place to find good oxtails, tripe, and beef cheeks which they stock for their Hispanic shoppers.

So everyone, has some things to offer.

Here in Nashville, anyway, if you're interested in good seafood, you need to definitely check out all the ethnic markets in your area. Chances are, one of them at least will be an excellent source for fresh seafood. I go to "K&S World Market" and they have a good selection of live seafood, which they'll butcher to order, so that I can bring home a filet that was swimming five minutes earlier.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

A strategy, which I've been using for the past seven years of living in small towns with supermarkets not quite what I'd like: make a point of visiting other towns or cities in your area. Find out what they have, explore their offerings...and bring a cooler loaded with ice so you can take home any goodies you might find in the local markets. Sure, it takes a little bit of preparation. But that way you get a break from the ordinary, and you often find nice surprises.

MelissaH

Well said. I always put a cooler in the car when I am heading out to Dallas or Kansas City. THey have stuff we don't.

Are there any good speciality markets in charleston?

WD recently announced plans to close all Carolina stores. Fortunately, there is a lot of competition here in the Charlotte NC area: Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Aldi, Walmart, Lowes Foods. Myrtle Beach is pretty much a small southern town, especially in winter.