• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recs for Pt. Pleasant area

tommy

anyone been to the Shipwreck in Brielle?

looks halfway decent.

yes, 3x. food was good on 2 ocassions. 3x had an excellent lobster, steamed. v nice menu and great martinis. large bar that gets to be scene. the only negative i found was very high ceilings created such a noise level it was very distracting to me to the point i wont go unless its very early and off season

thanks sabq.

as i sit here thinking, i'm definitely leaning towards not going anywhere that might lean towards "fine dining", as i can eat like that any time when i'm not in PPB. but then again, it's not as though there's anything inherently "local" in PPB, including, imo, seafood, so what is left? if this shipwreck place has some casual outdoor seating where i can get some decent oysters, steamers, a glass of white wine or a cold beer, it might just do the trick. yes, i think i'd like to be outside, casual, just kinda sitting around picking at some food. Foy is definitely out (unless his new steakhouse has outdoor seating).

Reds outdoor patio, across from the coast guard station by the inlet is good. They have expanded the seating quite a bit. Simple stuff... lobster rolls, lobsters, clams, oysters, steamers...all very fresh, very casual, BYOB. It great to sit right on the inlet, have a beer and some clams and check out all the commercial boats. The interior restaurant, which has a totally different menu was never good. Everthing inside is like salmon fillet with cilantro cream sauce over linguini, yuk...keep it simple on the outdoor deck.

Edited by Cpalms (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I owe it to people who generously took time to make suggestions to recap some of the meals I ate in Point Pleasant.

Red’s. on the inlet in PPB.

Back when I was sort of growing up in PP, Red’s was nothing more than a tiny little shack. “Red’s Lobster Pot”, I believe the sign said. They have clearly expanded (although the original shack still remains) with a very nice outdoor deck on the water. I had a very good lobster roll here, and plan on going back. We went for lunch, but it seems like it would be a good place to bring some beers and wine and friends and hang out for dinner.

Shipwreck Grill. Brielle.

This used to be an old-man’s fisherman’s bar of some sort years ago. The inside still has that feel, although it has clearly been updated.

We went here on the strength of sabq’s recommendation, and because we wanted something a bit upscale after a long day of beating the boards. We were SO pleasantly surprised that on our way out we made reservations for the following night. I rarely do that, but without many other options, we figured we’d secure a reservation so we had some kind of plan.

I think we started with some oysters and a tuna roll tempura. The oysters were right on, and the roll was pretty decent. I could have done with a bit more tuna and less rice, though.

The entrees included a salmon special and the Chilean seabass with curry infused oil. I used to eat Chilean seabass all of the time, and now I remember why I stopped. It’s an odd fish that is really rich, but doesn’t have much flavor. Regardless, this was a good dish, and completely inoffensive.

The wine list, iirc, was serviceable.

Una Pizza Napoletana. Route 35 PPB.

We got here at about 10 minutes to 1, and they were to open at 1. a line of a few people started forming, and they finally opened the doors at about 1.10. the pizza was very very good. Like nothing I’ve had down there, or anywhere for that matter. It’s really something special and everyone should have a pizza here. I’ll no doubt return.

thanks for all of the reponses.

Edited by tommy (log)

• 1 year later...
See you at the Tiki Bar!  :biggrin:

with any luck. you might recall that last time that didn't work out so hot. :biggrin:

Ha - I forgot about that exchange.

FWIW, I'll be at the Tiki Bar this Friday, but then not again until the wekened of the 27th.

Don't know where at the Bar I'll be. Hubby and our friends have the Martells "Platinum Card". Prepaid card, you can eat anywhere in the Tiki Bar and receive a 10% discount. We also get to by pass the lines at night going into the bar by flashing the card. Martells also sends us a really nifty gift basket at Christmas. We end up filling the card up twice during the year - guess we're there alot. :raz:

Yowsah!  10% discount on $6 beers!

I don't know if the beers are $6, but I don't think the Tiki Bar is too out of line with prices of Jenks or the Broadway on the Boardwalk. We usually hit the sushi bar and throw back a few, but since I live nearby and would just walk back home if I wanted to drink, I don't spend too much on liquor there. The card is good all year long and when we have friends over it's an easy place to hit - especially for a lunch on a Sunday afternoon. It works for us! :smile:

• 9 months later...

it's getting to be that time of year again. like a salmon, i swim...

lamb, sabq, cpalms, bueller? anything new in food or booze in or around PPB?

the guy from Una Pizza Napoletana moved his show to the east village, which unfortunately and oddly is more of hassle for me to get to than PPB. Red's is still there i presume? and the Tiki bar had *better* be there. :biggrin:

If you're looking for some cheap eats, check out Surf Taco. I was driving through Point Pleasant this past weekend and stopped in. Sampled the fish tacos, garlic shrimp tacos and grilled steak tacos -- all very fresh and good. The place seems to serve lots of cheese quesadillas to the 21 and under crowd, but the aforementioned tacos were solid. Also, a nice selection of salsas and good smoothies. Unfortunately, the rice and beans were very disappointing. The place is tiny, but has a fun vibe. I haven't checked, but I believe there's a website if you want to check out the menu.

it's getting to be that time of year again.  like a salmon, i swim...

lamb, sabq, cpalms, bueller?  anything new in food or booze in or around PPB?

the guy from Una Pizza Napoletana moved his show to the east village, which unfortunately and oddly is more of hassle for me to get to than PPB.  Red's is still there i presume?  and the Tiki bar had *better* be there.  :biggrin:

Hi Tommy -

I just happen to be headed down to PPB tomorrow to see the Soul Cruisers at Martells - a good start to the summer!

Can't really say if there's anything new food or booze wise even though I was down a few times this past winter. Tardi's on Bay is one of my favorites for a Friday night dinner and they have never let me down. Even during the winter, though, they can still get crowded, so I'll get my fill in now before the summer season is in full swing and I can't get anywhere near the place.

As jsfein says below, Surf Taco is also a hit. My kids love it there and it is much better than me having to make them lunch or dinner over the weekends - of course I'm too busy at the Tiki Bar then! :wink:

I wanted to try Foy's steak place but haven't gotten there yet. Maybe within the next few weeks. And yes, Red's is still there. :rolleyes:

I will be in BayHead this weekend, although unfotunately not with a Tiki bar kinda crowd. I might sneak over for an oyster shooter sometime during the day...they are so much better sucked outa little plastic condiment cups :biggrin:

it's getting to be that time of year again.  like a salmon, i swim...

lamb, sabq, cpalms, bueller?  anything new in food or booze in or around PPB?

the guy from Una Pizza Napoletana moved his show to the east village, which unfortunately and oddly is more of hassle for me to get to than PPB.  Red's is still there i presume?  and the Tiki bar had *better* be there.  :biggrin:

Nicolas in Middletown is only a 20 minute ride from PP, or are you looking for burgers and beer? Nicolas is wonderful.

Nicolas in Middletown is only a 20 minute ride from PP, or are you looking for burgers and beer?  Nicolas is wonderful.

That would be Nicholas. Bear in mind that bar dining is now an excellent option. The small plates menu is taken directly from the dining room menu. Needless to say, the food is superb! Spacious bar with very comfortable chairs. Casual dress. No reservations required.

middletown is most certainly more than 20 minutes from PP. especially in the summer.

i definitely want to try nicholas, regardless of how it's spelled, at some point. but i can just go from home any day really.

generally when i'm in PPB i want something casual and pretty much within 10 minutes of the boardwalk. and something unique to the area.

what's Foy's steak place all about? not that i'd go to a steakhouse when in PPB necessarily, but i'm curious. website?

Dennis Foy's steakhouse is Bay Point Prime. Not sure whether its year round or seasonal (but regardless should be open by this weekend). I know its located on Ocean Ave, but not quite sure where.

We were in the area on Tuesday and dined at Shrimp Box, plain, old and satisfying especially if you seat by the window with a view of the boats. I would think that as of today there might be a long wait, as in nearly every other restaurant at the shore.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

• 2 weeks later...
what's Foy's steak place all about? not that i'd go to a steakhouse when in PPB necessarily, but i'm curious.  website?

Had the chance spur of the moment to visit Bay Point Prime – Foy’s BYO steak place last Friday night. I think because of the rain the crowds stayed away so we were able to get in without a problem around 7:00. Hubby, daughter and I walked in with about 4 tables occupied and hostess asked us for our name. Looking at her list, where every name on it was already crossed off, we said we didn’t have a reservation, but though that we would take a chance and stop in. She turns to look at the restaurant, then back at her list, then seats us right in front of the open doors leading out to the patio. Open doors – it’s about 65° out and windy. We ask her if we can either have the doors closed or move our table to one of the many other open tables on the floor. She closes the doors and down we sit. Menu is pretty small – half dozen appys and entrees. Entrees are a mixed bag of seafood and meat – a sirloin and rack of lamb as well as a salmon and red snapper. For appys we decided on two lobster bisques and a baby lettuce salad with apple vinaigrette. Soup is really good – salad seemed to be missing the apple vinaigrette however. Hubby asks server about the lack of dressing, and server tells us that’s the way it’s served. Oh well. For entrees hubby and I order slow roasted red snapper with broccolirabe. Daughter orders mac and cheese from the side dishes along with one of the specials, fettuccini with veal bolognese sauce (she’s the pasta queen). Red snapper was unremarkable – daughter proclaimed the mac and cheese excellent and the fettuccini just ok. Passed on dessert, but had coffee. With tip for the three of us - $135. It took us 25 minutes from the time we requested the check until the time it was presented to us. Hubby and I were polishing off our wine, but teenage daughter was itching to leave. During that time, Dennis Foy was walking around talking to customers. He seemed to be stopping by regulars tables, judging from the conversations. Restaurant at this point, about 9:00, only had about 3-4 tables open.

Restaurant is located at 1805 Ocean Avenue in Point Pleasant Beach. It’s at the very southern end of Ocean Ave, on the PPB/Bayhead border. In its place a few years ago was an Italian restaurant that didn’t last too long. BBP now has full yellow shutters covering the front of the restaurant – you might almost think that the place was closed. Entrance is on the side from the parking lot – that is a great feature because street parking is so hard to come by there. Definitely an “older” crowd there, not a family type atmosphere which is a nice break from the typical PPB restaurants. It’s about an 80-90 seat restaurant but I’m sure it fills up during the season.

Heard good things about the steaks from half a dozen friends who have houses down there...most of the women, who ordered fish, were not impressed..but the men, who stuck with steak, were. It was weird, we met for cocktails last nite and they had all tried it last week, three couples, three seperate visits. There is something incongruous (sp?) to me about steak at the beach. Our house is in Avalon, nnear Stone harbor, and we go to the Sea Grill a few times a season and order steak..and it ALWAYS seems weird to me. :wacko: