• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recs for Pt. Pleasant area

tommy

my friend's parents are headed down to Bay Head for july 4th weekend, and they were hoping for some recs.  a mix of fine dining, local favs, etc.  it has been quite some time since i've been down there, so i was hoping someone could offer some suggestions.

my thoughts so far:

mike's sub - the best on the planet.

stay away from joke baker's, shrimp box, et al.

i'm sure someone might mention clark's landing, which to me is simply a bar with a nice view of the river.

how's foy's?

how about that place on what i guess is rt. 70 going into brick (is it the pilot house or something like that)

maybe frank's on 35 south for some clams?

thoughts?

I think this is the Pilot House, adjacent to a boatyard, you walk up two flights of stairs.

It isn't bad, we had one lunch and one dinner there this Spring. It's on the eastbound side of 88, where 88 and 70 split. I don't recall anything about the food, so I'd guess it wasn't ptomaine or escoffier.

The main room is very dark, I think it functions primarily as a bar. The wrap around porches are comfortable and bright, but just a little tight if a family group has 2-3 tables.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I know you stated they'd be in Bay Head so it's probably too far a drive but they could always do The Fromagerie in Rumson which is about 20 miles away.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

I had a nice dinner at Foy's last season...BYO, and really poorly decorated. I think its supposed to be retro funky, modern and stark. Comes across, however, as boring and blah.  Dennis is not as cutting edge as he once was, or else he recognizes that the market in PPB is not the same as Chatham,  but either way, the ingredients are first rate, and , while not fantastically original, th efood is well prepared and a good notch or two above Clark's.

also there is spano's right across the street from foy's. it is a nice italian resturant that serves some good food at a decent price and the decore is remecent that of a place that should be down on mulburry st.

• 2 years later...

old thread, but i'm hoping people have some additional input on Point Pleasant. at some point i'll be making the trek down the parkway.

has anything notable sprung up recently? i'm perfectly happy eating at Mike's Subs breakfast-lunch-and-dinner, but i'm hoping to mix it up a bit.

Hi Tommy,

Some recommendation in the PPB area:

Tardi's 618 Bay Avenue, PP (just off Arnold) Small, with limited seating. Forget ordering from the menu and listen to the specials (lots of them). BYOB and Cash only

Spano's on Arnold - BYOB and I like this better than the one on Ocean Ave.

Spano's on Ocean in White Sands - same menu as Arnold Ave., slow service and no BYOB

Scarborogh Fair 1414 Meetinghouse Road, Sea Girt not a large menu, but good food - don't remember if its BYOB

Beach Cafe - 300 Broadway PPB good for breakfast, lunch and a quick dinner. Outdoor seating - no liquor license.

Rockafellas Inlet Drive PPB great inlet views from upstairs tables - great cold seafood salad. They have a liquor license.

And, of course, there's always the Tiki Bar! :raz:

Spikes is one of my favorites in the off season. Not sure how it is in the summer. Fresh seafood in a casual seafood store. Benches and tables. Real casual.

Inexpensive lunches and great pies .

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

i had 2 fabulous dinners BRANDL in belmar recently. app was perfectly seared sea scallops in foie gras butter, one of the most delish i have ever had, great menu and desseerts, byob

spanos in pt., just had great chilean sea bass there last week.

mahagony grill in manasquan, great cocktail, lovely setting and v good food

siam garden in manasquan is excellenent

spikes, i would not go near the place on weekend let alone 4th july, you could wait 2 rs. lots of people do and have wine on the sidewalk. they have mostly picnic table inside which is an issue for me with a back problem

there is a new hotel on main in manasquan that is opening a restaruant this weekend but i cant remember the name

burgers and beers, there is rods in sea girt, they also have a full menu

i have only been to foy's once and i think i had the smallest entree ever served anywhere

• 2 weeks later...
We just had dinner at Spike's last night. Very, very good crab cakes and garlic mussels. Boring Manhattan clam chowder.

Excellent ice cream at Hoffman's for dessert.

what type of mussels did you have? were they the black ones or the green new zealand?

did you have a long wait?

i have only been to foy's once and i think i had the smallest entree ever served anywhere

Dennis Foy recently opened a new steak place on Ocean Avenue in PPB - Bayside or something like that. I've haven't been there yet so can't report; but if it's anything like his namesake restaurant on Arnold Avenue I won't be going. I'll wait to hear what some of my neighbors have to say about it. :raz:

We just had dinner at Spike's last night. Very, very good crab cakes and garlic mussels. Boring Manhattan clam chowder.

what type of mussels did you have? were they the black ones or the green new zealand?

did you have a long wait?

They were medium in size, black shell, cream to orange flesh. I assume PEI.

We arrived ~7:30 on Sunday night. There was no wait for our 2 top, although there was a party of 5 or 6 waiting outside for a larger table to free up.

Let me emphasize that Hoffman's on a weekend in the summer is a MOB SCENE. You have to take a number when you walk in. They make all their Ice Cream on premises and they have a lot of flavors -- its one of those old-school ice cream places thats been there forever.

Well worth going, however.

EDIT: Apparently the place has recently re-opened after the original owners shut its doors.

http://www.app.com/app/story/0,21625,954991,00.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 weeks later...

my first thought was that i wouldn't bother considering a steakhouse since there are so many at my fingertips at home. but this sounds like it might be worth a shot for some oysters at lunch.

no mention of wine in that review as far as i could tell.