• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peter Luger Steakhouse

cjsadler

would it be safe to say that Luger's is the McSorley's of steakhouses? from North Carolina and have been to the ale house many, many times but late Super Bowl Sunday night will be my first trip to Luger's.

no. they are both stepped in tradition and predominatly male and managed /owned by women, but no I don't really see the fit as I have never been able to spend more than $40 bucks in McSorleys - and Luger's has a much more impressive resume than McSorley's.

• 2 weeks later...

On my reccent trip to New York, we went to Peter Luger's on Long Island. Why? Well for one thing, we couldn't get into the Brooklyn location, and for another thing a friend of ours who plays for the Islanders, lives out there, and we met up with them for dinner.

It is not a fancy looking place, plain wood tables etc. Appetizers were:

Arron had a shrimp cocktail, his wife had the tomato and onions

I had two slices of bacon and some of Don's tomato and onion.

The shrimp cocktail was very nice. 5 very large crisp shrimp with a sauce that had a nice bite to it. (It may have been Luger's sauce with horseradish added). The onions were very strong and tangy and the tomatoes incredibly fresh. We had the Luger's sauce with the tomato and onions. The bacon is to die for.( It's advertised as Canadian bacon). Thick strips, broiled, and fairly lean.

Arron, Don and I had porterhouse for three, while Nikki, who is pregnant and off meat, had the lobster. They shelled the lobster for her which was nice. That steak. Ok, I can't compare to the original location, but boy oh boy was it good. It is I will have to agree, the best porterhouse steak I've ever eaten. It came medium rare, crisp on the outside, and the stuff they spoon over it is amazing.

No surly waiters to be had here either. Service was impeccable, and friendly.

I'm in love with porterhouse all over again.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I keep telling myself that I'd like to go out to Long Island to make a personal comparison. But somehow I never seem to make it past Williamsburg. Glad to know you enjoyed it, though. I've read on various forums here that they are roughly comparable.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I keep telling myself that I'd like to go out to Long Island to make a personal comparison. But somehow I never seem to make it past Williamsburg. Glad to know you enjoyed it, though. I've read on various forums here that they are roughly comparable.

Jamie

It was a lot eaiser to get a reservation there too :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching the dvd commentary of the very funny and highly-reccomended School of Rock. I guess part of the filming took place in or near Williamsburg. After prodding from director Richard Linklater, Jack Black admitted that while filming there he ate at Luger's for lunch about every other day. Linklater protests and says try every day. Black replies, "Okay, maybe I had Peter Luger steak two days in a row... once. It may be the best steak in the universe. It is very decadent and very expensive, but I felt I needed it if I was going to be at my peak."

They filmed much of the movie in Long Island but they specifically namechecked the Brooklyn one. There was also mention of the best pizza in Staten Island, but they didn't say what it was.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally been to the mountain. And in the company of two true Luger believers, picaman and KirkL -- picaman even has his own Luger charge card!! I could die happy now, except that I must, MUST return.

It seemed weird to order "one slice of bacon per person" -- until the bacon came. Now THAT'S porky goodness! Some might call it, um, tough -- but I thought it let you know right away that this was a slab of meat to be chewed thoroughly and enjoyed slowly, not like some flimsy little rasher that belongs on top of a burger.

And also for apps, following the lead of Mr. Cutlets's sainted father, we shared an order of lamb chops. AHA! this is how I will inveigle HWOE -- who dares to say "Steak is boring" -- into coming to Luger. I honestly don't know why they bother giving you a knife for the lamb chops (loin, of course). But please don't imagine that flavor is sacrificed on the altar of tenderness. Oh no, these babies were practically baa-ing seductively in my ear. Even Kirk, who said he has never been much for lamb, was entranced. The most amazing thing was that while barely more than 1/2 inch thick, they were perfectly on the rarish side of medium rare. (My guess: they cook them as doubles, then cut them apart and give a quick flash to the cut sides. Can anyone confirm or deny?)

So how was the rare steak? How is a perfectly ripe peach or tomato in season? Oh. My. God. I forget which side I ate first, but both were the absolute best beef I have ever tasted. You know how sometimes meat can be aged to the point of sourness? Not this one. Just enough to be the essence of beefy, and not a day longer. And having that holy flavor trinity of charred beef, salt, and butter -- well, if I have to go on Zocor tomorrow for the rest of my life, it will be worth it. And again, why bother with a knife? We all agreed that the one problem was that with meat this tender, we almost had to force ourselves to chew -- which of course not doing would be mean a sad deprivation of flavor and juices.

I was wary about getting the creamed spinach -- memories of the spinached cream at Gage and Tollner :sad: and all that. But here too, I need not have worried. A bit swampy in texture, but 200% spinach in flavor. The hash browns, on the other hand, were just okay (and this from a person who would happily subsist on potatoes alone, if so many other good things didn't beckon). Other side notes: great!! rolls; mmmmmmm, schlag makes a decent cup of coffee very nice indeed; and now I remember why I stopped having Tanqueray -- my Gibson was way too floral (good onions, though).

A long, very satisfied aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Edited to add: How could I forget to mention our waiter? Maybe people confuse that initial business-like brusqueness with surliness. Once he saw how serious we were, and how much we were enjoying, he was a delight and we were delighted.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Actually, I feel that I've been freed from having to order steak anywhere else.

That's the spirit! :raz:

Suzanne's assessment was spot-on. I think it may have been the best Luger's visit I've had. I thought the steak had the most outstanding char ever, period. Here's my theory on that--please feel free to dispute or support:

All my prior Luger's visits were for lunch (it used to be walking distance for us, so we'd just go on a whim.) Last night we had a 9:45PM reservation, so I had my first nighttime Luger's steak. The stove would have been going probably close to 12 hours at that point, well-heated and probably not scrubbed down since morning. Could this contribute to the excellent char?

Also, as a side note, we left ~12:30AM and security was not an issue in the least. In fact, we walked past Marcy (the station was closed for inbound Manhattan service) to the next J stop without incident.

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

Also, as a side note, we left ~12:30AM and security was not an issue in the least. In fact, we walked past Marcy (the station was closed for inbound Manhattan service) to the next J stop without incident.

Hey -- you knew I'd protect you two if anything happened! :laugh:

Honestly, I never felt the least bit worried about the neighborhood; other people really are?? :unsure:

Did you say you ordered rare? I found char was better on medium rare rather than rare... I was wondering if I should have ordered black and blue to get better char... But really it is such nitpicking because the steak is so wonderful!

I fall into the category of not being able to enjoy steak out anymore because of Luger's. I now make steak more often at home on the grill (Stew Leonard's porterhouses at $4.99/lb)...and I pretend...

Hey -- you knew I'd protect you two if anything happened!  :laugh:

"Back off, jack. I have a thermometer, and I'm not afraid to use it." :raz::laugh:

Honestly, I never felt the least bit worried about the neighborhood; other people really are??  :unsure:

It's been an occasional hot button issue here in relation to Luger's and nighttime in the neighborhood--that's why I put my two cents in.

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

Honestly, I never felt the least bit worried about the neighborhood; other people really are??  :unsure:

It's been an occasional hot button issue here in relation to Luger's and nighttime in the neighborhood--that's why I put my two cents in.

Jamie

Williamsburg isn't the scary, bombed-out place it was five years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what is the best subway stop from Manhattan? I have always gone at night and am very eager to try the burger at lunch. Figure the subway will be much quicker during the day

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what is the best subway stop from Manhattan? I have always gone at night and am very eager to try the burger at lunch. Figure the subway will be much quicker during the day

The closest is the Marcy stop on the JMZ; the other option would be the Bedford stop on the L but you'd have to hoof it about 12 blocks from there.

The closest is the Marcy stop on the JMZ; the other option would be the Bedford stop on the L but you'd have to hoof it about 12 blocks from there.

If the L works better for you, you can take the 61 bus from Bedford to Broadway (where Luger's is.)

Keen's is 36th between 5th and 6th.

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

• 1 month later...

after countless steaks at steakhouses in NY that probably aren't quite lugers, i've planned my first trip out to brooklyn.

any suggestions for "the" meal? it's going to be a late lunch with 3 people, and i'm quite keen on trying the burger, assuming that's possible. i suppose it's going to be porterhouse for 2 and a burger. thoughts on sides? apps? i guess bacon? and that tomato salad? is there anything i should know about the wine list? screw the burger?

this, for me, has been the most anticipated meal in recent memory, although i won't let my expectations get in the way of enjoying it or giving it a fair shake.

The only other appetizer that would be up to the experience would be to share a order of "Lamb Chops" that together with the Bacon, the Tomatoes and the Burger and Steak is the real "Luger" experience. Enjoy and report

Irwin :raz: [the tongue out means Drooling]

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

The tomatoes are not good. Even at the peak of tomato season locally (which this isn't), they're the same shitty underripe massive grainy beefsteak tomatoes that every steakhouse serves. Getting them is strictly pro forma.

I'd suggest starting with strips of bacon, beers, and a heavy hit from the excellent bread basket. Then go for the porterhouse for two rare or medium rare (which typically come out medium-rare and medium respectively), a burger (silly not to get it if it's lunchtime and you have an extra six bucks), German potatoes, and creamed spinach. The pecan pie is quite good, with schlag (sweetened whipped cream).

The wine list is a joke, as are the glasses and other elements of the wine service. Stick with beer, in bottles.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

so rather than screw the burger, sounds like i should screw the wines. i'll probably just get a bottle of bud and martinis to start, and a simple bottle of zinfandel (assuming they have a simple bottle of zinfandel. they must. i hope).

i saw some show on TVFN, or maybe PBS, about lugers, or steakhouses or something. they made quite a big deal about how great the tomatoes are, and how they get the best, etc. but i tend to agree that "the best" rarely seem good, so i'll only order them if the other people want them. and then i'll have a piece, of course. and then i'll say "yeah, great, tomatoes".

thanks for the speedy responses.

Edited by tommy (log)

Living in Great Neck, even in a stingy-ish highly-non-foodie family, I've been to the local Peter Lugers quite a few (5?) times, and I've always found the service to be very good. Is it possible that the Great Neck location should be considered the preferred one, even if it's not the original?