• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peter Luger Steakhouse

cjsadler

... the Penthouse club steakhouse (which is really good, btw) ...

A little off-topic, perhaps, but has your experience at the Penthouse steakhouse changed your opinion of Daisy May's USA BBQ (same chef)?

N.B.: I haven't experienced the Penthouse restaurant and very likely never will.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I don't think so. A sub-par Luger steak is no better than what you would get in a 2nd-tier steakhouse like Smith and Wollensky or The Strip House. Possibly worse, given the practice of slicing the hapless thing up, or even worse, flashing it in the salamander before bringing it out, which they do all the time at Luger. Sparks is the place. Other places better than an imperfect luger steak include: Sammy's Roumanian, Nebraska, Beacon, Les Halles, and numerous others.

Josh

Do I sound like I'm kidding? This is New York. If you want to be the best steakhouse, you have to bring your A-game. Luger's second-best might be top of the pops in Sheboygan, but that doesn't play in the Enn-Why-See. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Caustically,

Mr. Cutlets

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

The best steak ever served at Sammy's wouldn't even be usable for wiping the ass of a steer destined for Luger's. I agree with the rest of the A-game/B-game comparison, however.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The best steak ever served at Sammy's wouldn't even be usable for wiping the ass of a steer destined for Luger's. I agree with the rest of the A-game/B-game comparison, however.

There is no better selection of Beef Loins served at any restaurant better or equal to the quality served at "Peter Luger's". They have established themselves with all the major wholesalers that Break Up Hind Quarters of Beef for the NYC Market. The family buyers from Luger's are offered first choice for the type of Short Loins that meet their criteria for several important reasons.

[1] They are there in person every day that the Market opens.

[2] They always have paid a premium for the right of first refusal.

[3] They are one of the only Restaurants who are allowed to Stamp their Beef.

[4] They are one of the only Restaurants who are allowed to sign off and pay by Memo in the NYC Wholesale Meat Market. This was established years ago and accepted by the Wholesales, Breakers and Jobbers

[5] Peter Luger's is the only buyer at many wholesalers provided space in their coolers to Hang and Dry Age their Beef after it's been stamped, tagged, weighed and dated after being selected. Peter Luger absorbs the cost of serum loss and shrinkage for this beef until it's consolidated and delivered.

Another important thing to consider is that NO Steakhouse can ever be absolutely sure that every cut of beef from the Strip Loin section of the Short Loin will have excellent, taste , character or tenderness when served to the customer.

In the Porterhouse, Striploin or T Bone Cuts the Top of the loin [strip] sometimes may have been knocked or bruised prior to the beef being slaughtered. This could have occurred months before the Beef was feed lotted and brought to market. What happens is that this small area is not noticeably different when being butchered or cooked to order. It may taste Chewy, Sinewy or even Tough while looking terrific. Every Good reputable Steakhouse will immediately replace your Steak whenever this happens. It is pretty rare, but still happens. This can be on a whole Steak or just a small part of the Steak. On the Fillet or Bottom Cut of the Loin this doesn't happen since the Fillet is protected from Bruising by a thick layer of exterior fat on the outside and the Thick Cut of the Loin Bone on the inside.

Any Restaurant is vulnerable to this happening. When Restaurants are purchasing Graded Beef Boxed and Cryovaced the Marbling is similar but there is no comparison to the carefully dry aged cut. Also dry aging caused considerable shrinkage, and exterior trim loss that doesn't occur with Cryovaced Boxed Beef thats in a Vacuum Packed with enzymes and serum breaking down the beef and adding tenderness but not the flavor or character of dry aging.

The next time your Steak doesn't taste right at Luger's, let them know and have the Kitchen check your Steak. If it's not right they will make sure to replace your Steak but you can be sure that the will verify that the Beef was bruised.

I wouldn't be surprised that there may be customers who will complain that the Loin Part of their Steak wasn't as tender as the Fillet. Thats just the way a beef loins supposed to taste, but not everyones aware of this and there expectations of what a Porterhouse or T Bone Steak should taste need to be explained to them.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

How wrong you are, Steven. Did you ever eat the bone-in rib steak at Sammys? Or the veal chop? The meat there has been impeccably high every time I have ever eaten there. I don't think that's a very nice thing to say about Sammys. They have given us a lot of pleasure over the years, and I've never had a disappointing meal there...of course, I'm not going in with the mystique of meat bearing down on my shoulders.

Josh

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

Irwin, you sound like you're in the meat trade. Also a Luger loyalist. I believe everything you say about Luger's buying practices, and even wrote about them in worshipful tones in my book. But what I and other people are eating at the restaurant seems to speak otherwise. And you have to believe your tastebuds, or where would you be? Also, I stand by my statements about Luger's cooking techniques: they routinely slice up steaks right out of the broiler, and routinely flash them under the salamander before sending them to the table. I don't think that's the best way to cook a great steak.

Josh

Edited by Mister_Cutlets (log)

I stand by my statements about Luger's cooking techniques: they routinely slice up steaks right out of the broiler, and routinely flash them under the salamander before sending them to the table.

Josh, do you know this based on observations in the kitchen, or information that has been communicated to you from Peter Luger, or do you infer this based on what comes to your table? I'm not saying that you're incorrect, but I will say that what people infer about how their food was cooked is often way off.

--

Josh, do you know this based on observations in the kitchen, or information that has been communicated to you from Peter Luger, or do you infer this based on what comes to your table? I'm not saying that you're incorrect, but I will say that what people infer about how their food was cooked is often way off.

i saw this on TV (so it must be true). seriously though, it was some sort of show that was featuring luger's. they talked about the aging process and their meats and the cooking process: out of the heat, sliced immediately, slathered in butter, back under the heat, then off to the table.

Irwin, you sound like you're in the meat trade. Also a Luger loyalist. I believe everything you say about Luger's buying practices, and even wrote about them in worshipful tones in my book. But what I and other people are eating at the restaurant seems to speak otherwise. And you have to believe your tastebuds, or where would you be? Also, I stand by my statements about Luger's cooking techniques: they routinely slice up steaks right out of the broiler, and routinely flash them under the salamander before sending them to the table. I don't think that's the best way to cook a great steak.

Josh

Josh:

I'm very cognizant of the Meat Trade in all aspects. I agree that if I was utilizing the Beef as served at "Luger's" I could definitely make it taste better and more enjoyable. Now comes the BIG BUT.

I respect TRADITION and feel that very few Restaurants go as far as "Peter Luger" does to continue to follow the axion of: "If it's not broken, don't fix it" thats exactly what they attempt to maintain. Sure at times it gets silly, even annoying to some customers. Like the Credit Card Business. Why "Just Because" its a hook for the place, again Tradition. There aren't any surprises for returning customers, but there is a greater understanding and comparison of that the best should be equal to the expectations. I'm questioning that the quality isn't up to previous standards, since that part of the operation still try to do things as they have always been done traditionally. The things that bother me most aren't about "Peter Luger's", but mostly about the "USDA" since they have permitted for whatever excuses and reasons to allow packers to much largess in there tactic's to tamper with all the Meat and Poultry products that eventually are brought to the public.

To me theres no mystic about a "Great Steak" the truth is most of us can come pretty close to achieving that in our own homes and backyards. There is in most parts of the country good sources of high quality product available, and the home cook has a advantage in that they can select only the finest and best cuts by sight to prepare for their meal, while the Restaurant buys the whole pieces and cuts to suit the preparation and anticipated business. True there are operators who only order specific cuts of portion controlled items for a premium price but generally beef processed this way doesn't have much character, flavor or taste. It does look nice though.

Whatever they do at Luger's it's always routine, it works for them. When I eat there I'm inclined to order the Lamb Chops or Hamburger Steak plus sides. I personally am not a Porterhouse Fan, but I do enjoy the way customers dig into their Platters. I rarely am in NYC but whenever I can I try to make a pilgrimage to both locations of "Peter Luger's", enjoying the contrast. I also try out whatever other places I'm curious about, especially those that still provide "TRADITIONS."

Irwin

PL is an awesome steakhouse, but I think there are several that are of that calipher. If the whole Atkins thing keeps up, we could end up with even more!

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Does this mean that after all this time, someone (Mr. Cutlets) actually agrees with me about Lugers and Sparks? I'm astonished. And all this time I thought I was a complete fool! Now I know better - there's more than one of us. Thank you Mr. Cutlets.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I respect TRADITION and feel that very few Restaurants go as far as "Peter Luger" does to continue to follow the axion of: "If it's not broken, don't fix it" thats exactly what they attempt to maintain. Sure at times it gets silly, even annoying to some customers. Like the Credit Card Business.

The Peter Luger menu is definitely a tradition, and to change it now would make about as much sense as New Coke.

But the credit card business is different. Why hand over several percent of the tab to a credit card company, when they can insist on hard cash and still attract a full house very night? It would require a prodigious show of chutzpah to open a restaurant today and not accept credit cards, but if you went back far enough nobody accepted them. Luger's has managed to stay booked without taking credit cards, so they've never had any motivation to change.

Edited by oakapple (log)

no motivation for sure. what often times motivates business owners is hospitality. luger's seems pretty sure that the world is lucky they're around.

Amen, brother, amen.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

OOOOOPS !!!

One thing I forgot to mention in my "TRADITION" posting that should be taken into consideration.

The Real Estate that Peter Luger's is located on, and other Parcels across the street and in the area are opened by the same owners and operators as "Peter Luger's" and that is actually considerably more valuable the whatever the Restaurant is grossing on Cash Flow.

I feel that patronizing and supporting a establishment like Peter Luger's is important. I am not happy that places like "Lundy's", "Gage & Tollners" or especially the "Joes" closed as they can never be enjoyed again. If anyone remembers a original "Lundy's Shore Dinner" that started with amazing "Biscuits" and ended with the best slice of "Pie", I've every eaten. This was in a Restaurant that was able to serve in excess of 5000 dinners on Mothers Day.

When I visit most places I always attempt to enjoy a meal at the older, well established places that maintain their quality and reputation. If and when they go, part of our tradition goes with them. I'm not saying that older is better, but as a example I hope my Great Grandchildren can enjoy a meal at the old traditional 'Chez Pannisse or French Laundry".

Irwin :blink::rolleyes:

If anyone remembers a original "Lundy's Shore Dinner" that started with amazing "Biscuits" and ended with the best slice of "Pie", I've every eaten. This was in a Restaurant that was able to serve in excess of 5000 dinners on Mothers Day.

Ah, the biscuits, and they served a pretty good steak, too. As for the pie, I was just reminiscing about that over in this thread.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

luger's seems pretty sure that the world is lucky they're around.

we are

yeah, who else would buy that meat if it were on the market and available to other restaurants and slice it up right out of the oven and dump butter on it.

Hehe. Funny.

OOOOOPS !!!

One thing I forgot to mention in my "TRADITION" posting that should be taken into consideration.

I feel that patronizing and supporting a establishment like Peter Luger's is important. I am not happy that places like "Lundy's",...closed as they can never be enjoyed again. If anyone remembers a original "Lundy's Shore Dinner" that started with amazing "Biscuits" and ended with the best slice of "Pie", I've every eaten. This was in a Restaurant that was able to serve in excess of 5000 dinners on Mothers Day...

...And after the biscuits came the steamers, and the clam chowder, and the lobster of course, and they had amazing onion rings, and baked potatoes....

As well as:

Ah, the biscuits, and they served a pretty good steak, too. As for the pie, I was just reminiscing about that over in this thread.

Edit to add: I guess I should comment about Peter Luger's so this isn't completely off topic; I haven't been to Peter Luger's in 35 years or so, so I'm reading this thread as an amused bystander.

Edited by afoodnut (log)

To remain OT just a bit longer: don't forget the crudités, the Uneedas, the oyster crackers served in the same kind of low waxed-paper cups that they used as finger bowls, the mounds of butter pats, and the Lyonnaise and julienne potatoes -- and the clams, the fried clams! -- but now we're really off-topic, no longer discussing even Irwin's Shore Dinner. This doesn't merit its own thread, does it?

"To Serve Man"

If anyone remembers a original "Lundy's Shore Dinner" that started with amazing "Biscuits" and ended with the best slice of "Pie", I've every eaten. This was in a Restaurant that was able to serve in excess of 5000 dinners on Mothers Day.

OT only a little.

I gave my daughter 8 pie tins stamped "Lundy's" they I had used for years that were one of the few things she requested recently as she feels that they still are better then any pie tins shes been able to buy.

Thinking back I remember often going out of my way using the excuse of buying a pie to enjoy a dozen Clams on the 1/2 Shell and a dozen "Oysters" from Lundy's own beds on Great South Bay. They charged a $2.00 Deposit for the tins when your purchased a whole pie, refundable.

"Tappen's" on Nostrand Avenue up the block from Lundy's also make the Biscuits almost as good as Lundy's but never came close on the "Shore Dinner".

I think the "Shore Dinner" also included "Roast Chicken".

Irwin :biggrin:

The original Lundy's in Sheepshead Bay closed sometime in the late '70s. Most of those who remember it consider the place currently doing business in part of the same space (the rest is sort of a mini-mall -- not that there's anything wrong with mini-malls) to be but the palest imitation.

Edited to add this aside to Irwin: Sunday after Sunday, we were able to persuade the waiter to substitute a whole lobster for half a lobster and half a chicken, at no extra cost. In retrospect, perhaps we shouldn't have tampered with the Shore Dinner prototype; I'll bet it was a splendid half-chicken.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"