• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peter Luger Steakhouse

cjsadler

I appreciate Peter Luger's as much for it's steaks as for it's flaws.... maybe someone can offer a better analogy, but it's like a fine piece of leather, it's flaws are visible and part of it's makeup.. I don't know to call them "flaws" anyway, but certainly, it's "unique" environment and service.

It's no-nonsense in a way that screams; you're not paying for a fancy building or room or address... we're in Brooklyn. You're not paying for hot waitresses. Nor a fancy dessert tray or an entire reservations staff. What you're paying for is simply the best steak in New York.. and that's the food-forward attitude that should be appreciated on a board for foodies! Which is pretty much what LPS is saying.

It's a slice of old New York which, if you haven't noticed, is very quickly dying out and being replaced by sanitized and/or too-cool-for-school, for better or for worse. I actually miss that "edge" about NYC the last 10 years. And it was always good for a laugh. It's the same attitude you'd find down 9th Avenue's markets (those too are dropping like flies)... I remember the first time I went to Central Fish, Louis, the son of the owner, when I asked what was fresh, started relating the different fish to female anatomy. Priceless.

A better question might be - if PL's hired all 30something sharp and dandy waitrons, debuted a brand-new renovation, and played lounge music, would it be for the better or worse? I think we all know the answer to that...

• 7 months later...

OK, time to ask this again to be current for 2008, what's the steak for 2 going for these days?

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any recent reports? I haven't been in about 3 or 4 years but am considering making a reservation soon or just sticking in Manhattan - probably Wolfgangs. Perusing other boards shows talk of it going downhill, etc etc, but I think people have probably been saying this for years. Anyone have any comments?

I go to the one in Great Neck 2-3 times a year. I find it consistently good, and usually get the potatoes, and creamed spinach sides and a couple of scotches for around $100/pp. Only consideration is they only serve 1 type of steak which is basically a porterhouse (which I love).

Edited by Jacquester (log)

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

W.C. Fields

I go to the one in Great Neck 2-3 times a year. I find it consistently good, and usually get the potatoes, and creamed spinach sides and a couple of scotches for around $100/pp. Only consideration is they only serve 1 type of steak which is basically a porterhouse (which I love).

In his review a year or two ago, Frank Bruni said they had added a ribeye (which he liked).