• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peter Luger Steakhouse

cjsadler

Admin: An archive of 2001-2003 discussion on Peter Luger Steakhouse may be found here.

Can someone tell me what the current Luger prices are for steak and sides? Not having a PL card, I want to make sure we don't end up washing dishes the rest of the night.

Chris Sadler

The steak itself is just under $40 pp, but bring around $100 pp so that you don't get caught short if your guest(s) order apps, drinks, sides, dessert, etc. It's just cash, the leftovers fit into your wallet easily enough. :wink: JIC, there's an ATM across the street.

I had an interesting conversation with Mr. Cutlets the other night about Peter Luger. He remarked that he didn't think it was a great idea that they seem to bring the steak directly from the broiler to the table and proceed to cut it into pieces. Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem like such a hot idea to me either.

I wonder if it would be possible to have the waiters bring the steak to the table uncut so it could rest for a while. I also wonder whether it actually would make much of a difference, and to what extent. I sense a side-by-side testing in my Peter Luger future. :smile:

--

Well I just called to try and get reservations for Sat January 31. I guess we won't be eating there, since I'm not crazy about eating at 10:00 p.m. :angry:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Go for lunch.  No reservations needed, AFAIK.  And you get an entire day to walk it off.

Edited: "walk it off" not "talk it off."

Some of us -- particularly yours truly -- exercise our mouths more than any other part.

Guilty here! (sigh)

--

Well I just called to try and get reservations for Sat January 31.  I guess we won't be eating there, since I'm not crazy about eating at 10:00 p.m. :angry:

Marlene, there's no need for a reservation. I've always gone there without notice, always on Saturday Nights (~7:00). I typically slip the host a $10 and I'm usually seated within 45 minutes. I've done this for parties of 2, 4 & 6 (that time we gave $20). Request not to be seated upstairs - it's a dungen up there :shock:.

Note there was one time I walked in and didn't tip the guy and, yes, I did wait over 2 hours. Needless to say I was pretty drunk by the time I ate :laugh:.

:D

Marlene, there's no need for a reservation. I've always gone there without notice, always on Saturday Nights (~7:00). I typically slip the host a $10 and I'm usually seated within 45 minutes. I've done this for parties of 2, 4 & 6 (that time we gave $20). Request not to be seated upstairs - it's a dungen up there :shock:.

Okay, I'll bite.

What's the protocol on this? I'm perfectly used to tipping after the staff has done me a solid, but this edges up on proper old-world bribery/baksheesh, and I've got no idea how to approach it.

Hand the guy a 20 outright as you're asking if there's a table available? Try to casually put the bill down on his table? Hold it up and wiggle it significantly as you ask? Eye contact? No eye contact? Try to hide it from the people in line behind you? Make a big show?

Obviously, I lack proper High Rolling Bastard skillz. :)

Marlene, there's no need for a reservation.  I've always gone there without notice, always on Saturday Nights (~7:00).  I typically slip the host a $10 and I'm usually seated within 45 minutes.  I've done this for parties of 2, 4 & 6 (that time we gave $20).  Request not to be seated upstairs - it's a dungen up there :shock:

Okay, I'll bite.

What's the protocol on this? I'm perfectly used to tipping after the staff has done me a solid, but this edges up on proper old-world bribery/baksheesh, and I've got no idea how to approach it.

Hand the guy a 20 outright as you're asking if there's a table available? Try to casually put the bill down on his table? Hold it up and wiggle it significantly as you ask? Eye contact? No eye contact? Try to hide it from the people in line behind you? Make a big show?

Why is it that people in this state are so fucking contrary?

Honestly, I didn't like living there nor do I like talking here. I will cease all of my discussion here, indefinitely.

Honestly, I didn't like living there nor do I like talking here. I will cease all of my discussion here, indefinitely.

Or ... should it be "I shall cease?"

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that dr memory was just joking. Don't cease. You will not cease. You shall not cease! :smile:

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

HEY!

Sorry to shout, I'm new here and have a couple of questions.

A. I will be losing my Luger's virginity on Monday at lunch. The deal is a group of friends will be meeting to get burgers (all of us are teachers, so we are POOR! - however we are all absolute food junkies/semi experts and argue the merits of different basmics and the like). Should I decide to "go all the way" as I am seduced by the scents and sights of steaks surrounding my table, how much is a steak going to set me back? What are the prices of other must haves for the burger - I have read enough to know that I do not want to ask for a menu - but I want to know if I'll escape lunch for around sixty bucks. Also what does a beer run, is there a bar that we wait in, how much is that bacon for the burger, what comes with the burger, should I order the fries, or is there a side that I should try, how much for a shrimp cocktail, so much to know. I appreciate your advice.

B. As I am new here (first post), I don't mean to be pushy and rude, so if I am in anyway breaching local protocol or etiquette, please let me know. Or if their is some "newbie" entrance area that I should stop by to check my reservation before waiting for a table in the bar, point out where it is.

Cheers!

Hello. Welcome. May I make a humble suggestion... You won't get a better burger deal pricewise in the city than at Peter Luger's ($5.95 last I knew unless the price went up) so order the burgers....However why not order one "Steak for 2" for the whole table to share? (I don't know the current price--I think around $60? Someone help!) If you divvy the price by everyone in your party it won't be so bad and you won't be deprived of an orgiastic porterhouse experience.

Hello. Welcome. May I make a humble suggestion... You won't get a better burger deal pricewise in the city than at Peter Luger's ($5.95 last I knew unless the price went up) so order the burgers....However why not order one "Steak for 2" for the whole table to share? (I don't know the current price--I think around $60? Someone help!) If you divvy the price by everyone in your party it won't be so bad and you won't be deprived of an orgiastic porterhouse experience.

I like this idea!