• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pal's Cabin

tommy

Like Eric said, Pal's is a good standby. It has particular meaning to me in the dead of winter, the wind whipping around the top of the hill fiercly, the darkness of early evening, maybe some snowflakes swirling around. Pal's offered warmth and good food for my wife and I on those kinds of evenings.

As for good burgers, I admit to rating the burgers at TGI Fridays as the best for my tastes. Just not the sad West Orange location (why is this place still in business?!). Also good burgers at Houston's (Hackensack and NYC locations). And in the Verona Inn vs. Tierney's burger war, I side with VI. The burger bun at Tierney's is sad.

Like Eric said, Pal's is a good standby. It has particular meaning to me in the dead of winter, the wind whipping around the top of the hill fiercly, the darkness of early evening, maybe some snowflakes swirling around. Pal's offered warmth and good food for my wife and I on those kinds of evenings.

As for good burgers, I admit to rating the burgers at TGI Fridays as the best for my tastes. Just not the sad West Orange location (why is this place still in business?!). Also good burgers at Houston's (Hackensack and NYC locations). And in the Verona Inn vs. Tierney's burger war, I side with VI. The burger bun at Tierney's is sad.

I thought the burger at Tierney's was below average.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

For a quick local buger Pal's.

If I have an extra hour, Franklin Steakhouse.

If my wife isn't involved, Michael's Roscommon House.

i'm not sure how far you are from mo-town, but one of the best burgers ever i've had is at Copeland.

I get to Morristown every now and then. Copeland is on my list.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Oh my goodness! All this dissing of Pal's? A landmark! My 82 year old mom went there after dates. Their cream of mushroom soup used to rock (I haven't had it in a few years) and the whole attitude of the place says vintage, or as the kids today say, Old School. Who needs perfection when the atmosphere is so cool. I love their open faced turkey sandwich, and for the price of their menu items, really, what is there to complain about?

i'm not sure how far you are from mo-town, but one of the best burgers ever i've had is at Copeland.

WOW. That is QUITE a statement, coming from you, Tommy!! I knew you liked it, but one of the best you've EVER had? That's impressive!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

WOW. That is QUITE a statement, coming from you, Tommy!! I knew you liked it, but one of the best you've EVER had? That's impressive!

Does this mean I'll have to seek out Copelands the way I sought out Michael's Roscommon?

I can't vouch for the burgers at Copelands because I haven't tried one there yet, but I definitely will.

I consistently enjoy the food at Copelands, despite their inability to pack the place, I think the food is well presented, fresh and well thought out (which speaks on Chef Cisack's behalf) and the bar is the most enjoyable place to sit. I will definitely try a burger there ASAP. Probably this week.

Oh my goodness! All this dissing of Pal's? A landmark!

I am ashamed to say, I have never been to Pal's and I work across the street. They own the restaurant/sandwich place downstairs in our building (Pal's Crystal Lake) and if the burgers are HORRIBLE - I would think that they make them differently then they do in the actual restaurant across the street.

Every day we have two soups - the mushroom soup is there every day and the other soup depends on the day of the week. Nice Salad bar, and different specials each day. I will have to head across the street one of these days and try the burgers there. I LOVE burgers but not those things they have downstairs every Thursday. Everything else is great, including the staff.

And in the Verona Inn vs. Tierney's burger war, I side with VI. The burger bun at Tierney's is sad.

dude, for real on the VI burger? it doesn't seem like a place i'd necessarily eat (although the wings smelled damned good).

dollar buds on thursday. c'mon.

And in the Verona Inn vs. Tierney's burger war, I side with VI. The burger bun at Tierney's is sad.

dude, for real on the VI burger? it doesn't seem like a place i'd necessarily eat (although the wings smelled damned good).

I've never gone to the VI for a meal. Some drinks, sure, possibly some snack food to accompany it.

I guess I'd say that the food at the VI exists so you don't have to drink on an empty stomach.

My vote here goes to the burger at Tierney's, although you need to be there on a day the front half of the room doesn't smell like urinal pucks. Either that or drink enough beer that it no longer matters. Their bottled beer selection, on the other hand, sucks.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis