• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kdl1221

kdl1221

Well, I am way behind.

I took the earlier post... let me find it...

"Rose Levy Beranbaum's definition of a butter cake, Cake Bible, page 23:

"The American butter cake contains 6 to 12 percent solid butter (not including the liquid and milk solids in the butter) or other shortening, 18 to 36 percent liquid (usually milk or water), 27 percent flour or a combination of flour and cocoa, 27 to 40 percent sugar, 5 to 10 percent egg, and a small amount of flavoring, and leavening such as baking powder and/or baking soda."Going by this, and using Sarah's cake as a base.. I changed accordingly.

24% liquid

5% egg (I think)

27% flour

27% sugar

12% fat/butter

to make:

1 1/4 c. butter

2 3/4 c. sugar

3 eggs

2 1/2 c. flour (unbleached, ap)

2 t. baking powder and 2 t. salt (these I just took an average bases on a bunch of recipes... which may explain a few results)

1 1/2 c. milk

1 c. buttermilk (sounded like a good idea)

1 T. vanilla

I started cooking 325 for about an hour... and it just wasn't happening. I then up'd it to 350 for another 20ish.

to make this:

gallery_33863_1498_634.jpg

gallery_33863_1498_290.jpg

I am sure you (and you know who you are!) is reading this going, OMG she used too much/little XXX and it must have turned out too moist, dense etc.

Well, I am not sure how to describe the texture... I made this in a bundt pan simply because after I mixed everything together I was too scared to put it in cake pans! It was very... foamy? The cake tastes really really good... but I didn't like the texture. It was almost, too 'wet'. (remindes me of a jello poke cake, if you ever had one) Does that make any sense? When slicing with a knife, the sliced part is as smooth as a piece of paper.

Comments, suggestions? I also put a lemon glaze over it. Unfortunatly, my taste testers are family tonight and wouldn't tell me anything negative unless it was REALLY bad... so no helpful comments from them.

As soon as they finish this one off, I'll make a different one :)