• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kdl1221

kdl1221

Becca Porter said:
kdl1221 said:

kdl1221

kdl1221

Ok... I was all set to start baking away... but I have a problem.

I do not have access to unbleached flour. (I already have to drive almost 20 miles for Scharffen Berger chocolate).

I have tons of bleached flour, and bleached cake flour. If I do the first recipe offered.. the ultimate butter cake, how will this effect the outcome? Should I not even try... ?

Ok, just did some investigating.. Sarah, love the site! :)

But... so back to my question... how will this really effect taste, texture, and such?

Hey, I also live in an area that makes it hard to fine certain ingredients. I never could find King Arthur or anything like that. However, Gold Medal now makes an unbleached AP flour that is very easy for me to find. It is being carried in all my normal grocery stores. It has a brownish label on the front. In some stores they do not place it right beside the bleached AP. Look for it. Theres a good chance you may be surprised like I was! Good luck.

Never new I could be so thankful for WalMart.. there, I found unbleached. now most likely I had never looked for it, but this is the first tiem I had ever seen unbleached in my life.. and was aware of it. My husband is a math geek (as I so lovingly tease him) and we played around with the % that wre quoted earlier for butter cakes. Hopefully tomorrw... I will make Sarahs with bleadched, and unbleachec (with my crumby-no pun intended-pictures, as well as my own mathamatically equated version.. (and we all now math isn't exact with baking :raz: )

Pictures tomorrow..

~Kim