• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Iced Tea in NJ in the Summertime

Anonymouze

I found that even though I am a coke addict I found a second love...

I found it at Minado it's the Iced (green) tea!

I even found the site for it and it's great stuff but I'd like to find more 0 calorie teas without any aftertaste and 0 or very low calories that taste good - I had a raspberry? one at cheesecake factory in Hackensack once that tasted good.

Also if someone knows where to purchase this at a discounted or wholesale rate please let me know... 36.00 a case seems a bit steep. (pun intended?)

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Here's the site:

http://www.itoen.com/tea/index.cfm?sp=product&catID=1&id=104

(No comments on the color - I still giggle when I see it - my immaturity is showing!)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I love iced tea too, but it's hard to find good low calorie iced teas. Arizona diet peach iced tea may be the best diet iced tea I've ever had. No aftertaste, very realistic peach flavor (which I have found is a very difficult flavor to reproduce accurately in drinks). Turkey Hill's diet teas aren't bad either, and their regular teas kick major butt, but the Arizona diet tea is the best.

I don't know who carries the Ito En teas in your area... maybe you can ask one of your favorite markets to stock them. They're about $1.59 a bottle here; less when I can find them on sale. None of their flavors has any sweetener or calories. My favorite is the Jasmine Green Tea but they're coming out with several new flavors this summer.

I read that The Republic of Tea is also launching a line of bottled unsweetened iced teas. Check gourmet stores or coffee/tea stores in your area.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

It is sooooooooooooooooo easy to whip up a huge batch of your favorite tea and ice it. Sugar or artificial sweetenere(gack!) to taste and viola!

A few bags of any tea in a small bowl(usually 4 or 5 depending on the size of the final container), microwave until near boiling, steep, add sugar and dissolve, pour into large container, add cold water to fill the pitcher. Done. There you will have the best tea you ever drank.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Looks like Whole Foods carries it, which tells me you're not likely to find it at Costco any time soon...! I wonder if any of the big Asian markets carry it?

I'll be curious to try it, as I don't like the artificially sweetened teas, and the regular ones are always way too sweet for me. Thanks for the tip!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was surprised to see this post about Ito En tea. Just Monday night I ate at a restaurant called "KAI" on Madison Ave & 68th St. which is within the Ito En store on the 2d. floor. Only 8 tables at best & a "sushi" bar serving Mishimaya steak at $75/12oz. There wasa small display of loose tea in the store & for the rent they must pay I couldn't figure out how they money or maybe that's not the point.

On the way out they gave us a gift bag of 2 btls of Ito En ice tea!

Edited by zeman (log)

Zeman

Coming from the deep South, I do not understand why anyone would buy a bottle of iced tea. It is too easy to make. Sun tea is so easy, or bring some water almost to a boil, turn of the flame, add tea bags to simmer for a few minutes, put in pitcher, add some simple syrup (it dissolves better than sugar crystals) and your there. Pour over ice and enjoy. And if you make it far enough ahead so that it can come to room temp, you do not dilute it near as much when you pour it over the ice. There is one chain, McAlisters, that makes pretty good iced tea.

But to pay $1.50 for a bottle of tea that costs them maybe 25 cents to make, can't go there. I think the reaction is just a part of my upbringing. Besides, most all bottled teas are sweet and I like my iced tea unsweetened. I know, I was my poor mother's Yankee son. I even lost my accent, she was brokenhearted.

In the last several months, I have started really noticing how sweet a lot of foods are and it just does not taste all that good to me anymore being so sweet. I bought a jar of Silver Palate Fudge sauce and I could hardly taste any chocolate, it was so full of sugar, yuck.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Looks like Whole Foods carries it, which tells me you're not likely to find it at Costco any time soon...!  I wonder if any of the big Asian markets carry it?

I'll be curious to try it, as I don't like the artificially sweetened teas, and the regular ones are always way too sweet for me.  Thanks for the tip!

Hi Curlz... where or what is whole foods or please tell me town, ph# or anything?

I had it over ice again (the tea) at Minado and god it was so good, my mother-in-law said it has virtually no flavor, but I told her that was one of the reasons I liked it no "aftertaste" (she doesn't have a delicate palate! LOL) - slight tea flavor, delicious soft "citrus" scent (very very light to the nose) and no "fuzzy tongue"... like you get from some teas. YUM!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Anon--

I put in the zip code for River Vale on their product locator, and got three locations within 5 miles of you!

Upper Crust (3 miles)

610 North Maple Ave. Hohokus

201-652-8232

Teas' Tea

Whole Foods Market (4 miles)

Ridgewood Plaza

44 Godwin Place

Ridgewood, 07450

Teas' Tea

Heal Thy Self (4 miles)

152 Veterans Drive

North Vala, 07647

Teas' Tea

I'm assuming that the entire WF chain carries this; there's also a huge WF in Englewood. Happy shopping... :smile:

EDIT: I think I meant Edgewater! You know--one of those 'E' towns near the Hudson and the GWB. :laugh:

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Yeah, you meant Edgewater. Went there once - the Whole Foods - it is big indeed. Lovely views of Manhattan from the parking lot too.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845