• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for red bean

cbarre02

trying to think of some out side of the box ideas for red beans... always ice cream, mochi, pancake, and cake.

Yesterday we made red bean & fig sorbet, scented with a bit of orange zest. I was happy with the results very creamy, nice earthy flavor, but maybe i went a bit over board on the orange... next time only 1/2 zest.

any ideas, uses, or things you've tried

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

I used to use it alot, but I'm sort of over it now.

I liked pairing it with white chocolate, coffee, banana, soy milk and corn.

I think the most popular thing I ever did with it was a red bean "brownie" petits fours. Really it was a blondie but it had a muddy color so I called it a brownie. I'll look for the recipe if you have any intrest.

I also did a steamed red bean and soba pudding that I though was really subtle and sophisticated, but most everyone else thought just sucked.

The Japanese have a pastry filled with strained sweet adzuki bean paste wrapped in a soft crust that feels, tastes and looks like fig newton crust. This is my second favorite from that Japanese pastry shop around the Rockefeller Centre. My all time favorite and which only comes out in winter is the preserved persimon filled with the same filling.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

The Japanese have a pastry filled with strained sweet adzuki bean paste wrapped in a soft crust that feels, tastes and looks like fig newton crust.

Do you mean a crumbly sort of crust, like this?

Those are my favorite sort of manjyu as well, although I find a white bean paste filing is more common.

What about sekihan (rice cooked with azuki beans)? You could also make rice gruel with azuki beans (azukigayu), although I've never had it.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Sanrensho, yesss! But that is not crumbly to me. It is more soft bready, in fact. Would you have a basic proportion for that?

Sanrensho, yesss! But that is not crumbly to me.  It is more soft bready, in fact.  Would you have  a basic proportion for that?

You might be right. I guess I was refering to the white bean paste filling, which tends to be quite crumbly.

I'll see if I can dig out a recipe for this type of manjyu dough. I've never made it before, but now I'm getting cravings...

Sanrensho,

Oh, the filling. The filling is actually made of hulled adzuki that is why it is white. They only get crumbly when they are no longer fresh or if no corn syrup was used. In my shop it is yellow because we use hulled mung beans from Australia which has a stronger bean flavour and we wrap them in chinese puff pastry. I would like to try the real japanese crust and red adzuki bean filling. Filipinos call this Japanese moon cakes. I suspect that it will be more flavourful too and fantastic for afternoon tea. I hope you find a basic recipe that I can use as a starting point.

You've probably noticed this, but for future posterity here is a concurrent thread on bean pies.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

trying to think of some out side of the box ideas for red beans... always ice cream, mochi, pancake, and cake.

I made an azuki cheesecake that was pretty popular.

Put half the cheesecake batter in the pan then sandwich a slightly

frozen layer of azuki in the middle of the cheesecake batter.

There's a Hawaiian shaved ice dessert with sweetened red beans and

vanilla ice cream that I really like too. There's a similar Japanese dessert

with shaved ice and azuki but without the ice cream. Maybe an azuki granite?

Edited by Matsu (log)

I made an azuki cheesecake that was pretty popular. 

Put half the cheesecake batter in the pan then sandwich a slightly

frozen layer of azuki in the middle of the cheesecake batter.

There is a pretty famous Japanese bakery downtown (NYC) that is know for this exact item. The PC at Megu actually buys and plates it...so I've heard.

Edited by Sethro (log)

Would you have  a basic proportion for that?

Apicio, I thought I had a recipe but didn't find one in any of my books. Also, I finally remembered that this type of manjyu is called a yakimanjyu ("baked manjyu").

Here's a recipe for a chestnut and white bean paste-filled version from this link.

Yakimanjyu dough

White bean paste 20g

Egg (beaten) 30g

Sugar 40g

Flour (sifted) 80g

Baking powder 1/2 tsp

Egg wash: Egg (1 tbs), mirin, shoyu. White poppy seeds as topping.

1. Gradually add beaten egg to white bean paste. Add sugar to incorporate.

2. Add sifted flour and baking powder and mix until flour is incorporated.

3. Fold dough four or five times ton floured surface, mixing until dough is smooth.

I'll assume you don't need the rest as it sounds like you're a pro?

Edited by sanrensho (log)

A friend has a recipe for a bar cookie that has adzuki beans in it. I wasn't expecting to like it, but it was delicious. When I return to Japan I'll ask for the recipe.

A famous cake shop in Kobe, Japan (Antenoir, for those in the area) has a seasonal dessert called Ichigo Blancmange. It's served in a little cup, with strawberry flavoured anko in the bottom, and topped with strawberry-flavoured blancmange. There's quite a lot of anko in it, but it's actually quite good.

Yesterday we made red bean & fig sorbet, scented with a bit of orange zest.  I was happy with the results very creamy, nice earthy flavor, but maybe i went a bit over board on the orange... next time only 1/2 zest.

hi maybe you can try

red bean dumpling with peanut soup..

the dumpling is make with glutiness rice flour and water..with mash red bean and sugar inside..

the soup is make with peanut boil with syrup make from rock sugar

Sweet red-bean soup with little round dumplings made using sweet-rice flour. Served warm or room temp.

In the summer I make red-bean popsicles using a sweeter, thicker version of the sweet red-bean soup.

How do you make the red bean soup rich and dark in colour while still maintaining the "crunch" of the beans?