• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey Peaches

I have fond memories of my mother stopping at road side stands and farms when I was a young boy that had some of the most wonderful peaches I have ever tasted.

This was mostly in Northern NJ,and I was wondering if anyone had any information if they still exist? Or are they a long gone era?

My memorie rings the name Tysons and Van Ripers or something like that.

Robert R

Robert:

Peaches are still a major crop in NJ and there are terrific roadside markets for them all over the state.

Here are some of my favorites:

Peaceful Valley Orchards in Pittstown

http://www.peacefulvalleyorchards.com/index.html

Terhune Orchards near Princeton

http://www.terhuneorchards.com/default.htm

Melick's Town Farm in Oldwick

http://www.melickstownfarm.com/

I hope this helps.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Useful site with search facilities for both roadside stands & community farmers' markets right here:Jersey Fresh site

I've been getting superb peaches this year from Matarazzo Farms at the Rutherford Farmers' Market. They do a few other farmers' markets & may have their own roadside market, check the site.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Van Ripers is gone

its a mall now

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

just picked up some peaches at our local farmers market from windy brow farms.

they aren't quite where i want them to be just yet but they smell like peaches. they are on rt. 519 near newton, nj

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Van Ripers is gone

its a mall now

Heartbreaking news to hear but I should have guessed. :sad:

I remember every year around autumm they would have a turkey shoot and one year when I had to be twelve at the most I won.

Must have been the highlight of the year for my mother as she spoke of it often.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and I'm looking forward to visiting some of the farms listed.

It sure will likely go over with the family more then giving them another tour of my old neighborhood in Paterson which never fails to scare my better half to death. :wacko:

Robert R

I can't remember the name of it, but there's a big family-owned farm on Rt 202 on the southernmost end of Morristown, close to the border of Bernardsville, iirc. Not sure where you are, but they always had great peaches in the summer and tons of apples and pumpkins in the fall! I'm sure the name will come to me as soon as I log off... :raz: Edit 30 mins later: Wightman's! I knew it would pop... :laugh:

My bro and SIL are part of an organic CSA in Montclair and I had some spectacular peaches from them this weekend; I'll get the name of that farm for you tomorrow.

I agree that there's nothing like a fresh peach, juice running down your hand/arm as you bite in to it! :wub:

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Van Ripers is gone

its a mall now

Heartbreaking news to hear but I should have guessed. :sad:

I remember every year around autumm they would have a turkey shoot and one year when I had to be twelve at the most I won.

Must have been the highlight of the year for my mother as she spoke of it often.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and I'm looking forward to visiting some of the farms listed.

It sure will likely go over with the family more then giving them another tour of my old neighborhood in Paterson which never fails to scare my better half to death. :wacko:

Actually, Tice's has become a mall, and Van Riper's has become an A & P. Not that it makes it any better. But you can still pick peaches at Demarest Farms in Hillsdale, about 2 miles away.

Edited by markymark (log)

I have fond memories of my mother stopping at road side stands and farms when I was a young boy that had some of the most wonderful peaches I have ever tasted.

This was mostly in Northern NJ,and I was wondering if anyone had any information if they still exist? Or are they a long gone era?

My memorie rings the name Tysons and Van Ripers or something like that.

You meant Tices Farm (Chestnut Ridge Road - Woodcliff Lake NJ) most likely - now it is a strip mall/plaza - it was a farm up until about 3 years ago.

Van Ripers I forget where it was but I recall the name it's gone - also Nettie? Och's in West Orange is all but gone they will (or are by now?) building a development there.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

...also Nettie? Och's in West Orange is all but gone they will (or are by now?) building a development there.

Since when?!? :shock: Nettie Ochs is one of the few farms that have my favorite apples in the fall (winesaps)...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Check out the thread on farmers markets. I visited the one in Montclair, today. Lots of wonderful Jersey Peaches, just ripe for eating.

Make sure you have a napkin in hand, for the juice that will drizzle down your chin.