• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

roadtrip stop offs

cnspriggs

I was inspired by the topic on The Farm House Natural Cheeses in Agassiz as a great place to stop off on the way to the interior. I was wondering if there were other places in BC that you make sure you stop at on the way to your chosen destination. For example, I know some people make a stop at coombes on the way to tofino. How about on route to whistler, seattle or other driving destinations where you make a point of taking a pit stop.

Cheers!

Ooooh, good idea for a thread! Mamacat and I are always driving around on sunny weekends seeking out foodstuffs.

The Abbotsford Circle Farm Tour features a pile of interesting stops in the Fraser Valley. We did this one a couple weeks ago and visited McClennan Creek Dairy for their goat cheeses, the Little Farmhouse Country Market, where we picked up some Little Qualicum Dairy cheese, and Wisbey's Veggies, the little produce stand that could. We often stop by Lotusland Vineyards, also on the tour, to pick up their 2001 Merlot. A lot of their other wines are so-so, but the 01 Merlot is fantasic. Get yours now before my Mom buys it all.

The Agassiz-Harrison Mills area also has a circle farm tour, which we have yet to do. It includes Farm House Cheeses as well as a ton of other spots.

And on the way down to the States, we invariably stop at Casa Que Pasa on Railroad Ave. in Bellingham for carne asada burritos. This is a Mexican cantina run by a bunch of vegan-friendly gringos and whose primary clientele is the bedraggled indie rocker students of WWU, so don't expect any authentic Mexican-ness. It's just realllllly good, cheap, plentiful food (our usual order of a gaint carne asada burrito, a quesadilla, and a couple of margaritas during happy hour runs about $12-14US.)

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

This is a really great idea cnspriggs. I'd just like to remind everyone that we need to keep the discussion focussed on places in Western Canada.

As a kid, it was always the Tastee-Freeze in Princeton on our way up to see Grandma in Kelowna. Today ... I think there's a Robin's Dougnuts in Merritt.

A.

Gort's Gouda - http://www.gortsgoudacheese.bc.ca/ - en route to Mara Lake for the summer trip, Don Diego's in Terrace, Dolly's Seafood in Prince Rupert if we're heading west. Further south - Hothouse Bistro & Amsterdam Pannekoek House in Kamloops, and Triple D Dutch Ice Cream in Sicamous - oh - and Horsting's farm just outside Cache Creek. If we're on the Island - the Island winery tour is always worthwhile - and a drive from Victoria to Nanaimo wouldn't be complete without a stop at Merridale for some cider.

Cherries coming down from Hell's Gate- coming down from "yonder"(North)when you feel like taking the scenic route. Corn and artisinal cheese on that roadside stand on the way in to Salmon Arm (East of the city). Widely referred to as the Cherry guy, his family farm is right on the other side of the highway, where you can see the family picking. Hmm. Can you tell I wasn't driving? On the way back from Banff, Jasper, Anywhere E of R.

The Hutterite Market in Brooks, Alberta. So it's at the mall. So what. While visiting Dinosaur Park with my awed four year old and my hyper ventilating me (rattlesnakes and scorpions and black widows, oh my!) and my husband "that's right. Terrify him."

Fish off the docks at Gibsons, and Molly's Reach. Hello! Its Molly's Reach! While convincing the Ontarian in-laws that Timmy's is NOT an option.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

How about on route to whistler

I find that the McDonald's in Squamish is the optimal bladder-capacity distance from White Rock when heading up to Whistler. I rationalize free use of their washroom by thinking of all times I've eaten at a McDonalds without using the washroom. I figure I can keep up this behaviour for about another 5 years.

At the same highway turnoff in Squamish, the IGA has a surprisingly good selection of stuff, and you're now close enough to Whistler that you can just haul it up in the plastic bags rather than worry about packing it in a cooler.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

one of my "must do's" is when i am on my way to tofino. i always have to stop in at coombs and stock up on goodies at the old country market. yes, the one with the goats on the roof!! they have great produce, yummy cheeses :wub: , deli goodies, and a great bakery too.

Quentina

I'd like to second Gort's Gouda, a mandatory stop when we're in the Shushwap area, along with a couple of the "northern" wineries that are operating near Salmon Arm.

Longview Meats for the best jerky in the world when driving through Longview, Alberta. For those that don't know the whereabouts of Longview it's on Highway 22 (the Cowboy Trail), just past Black Diamond when heading south towards the Crowsnest Pass.

Poplar Grove Winery on the road between Naramata and Penticton. Not only do these folks make some darn fine wine but they also make 3 artesian cheeses that are truly outstanding. I'm not a big fan of blue cheese but they do a Naramata Bench Blue that is very light on the blue with more of a camembert flavour and consistency. I can't drive by without stopping and hoping they have it in stock. My wife is a very big fan of blue cheese and swears their Tiger Blue is one of the best in the world.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Edited by vanderb (log)

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

If you're heading through the Grand Forks area, save some space in the stomach for the Grand Forks Hotel and the Russian food.

Very campy room. Service staff is just back from the gulag so they're a little withdrawn. Food is totally authentic and filling in a very stealthy way.

Being a western Canadian WASP, I have rarely seen main courses (all of them) served in a pool of melted butter. I'm now in favour of this type of presentation.

I also like the way you can get two or three days worth of calories in one sitting.

Bradley Cooper

You should be reading my blog!

WINE & VINE BC

If you're heading through the Grand Forks area, save some space in the stomach for the Grand Forks Hotel and the Russian food.

Been there about 20 years ago while I was interviewing for a job in Trail :blink: Speaking of Trail ... do you like campy Italian?

Welcome to eGullet Breeze. Looking forward to your input on some of the better wine-stops along the way in the Okanagan.

A.