• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farallon or Aqua?

sugarpiglet

Hello. I am from Minneapolis and my husband and I will be spending two days and nights in San Francisco next weekend. We want to go out for one great seafood meal because terrific seafood is scarce in these here parts.

I've heard good and bad things about both Farallon and Aqua and I am not sure which one to choose. We'd like a relaxing meal and we don't care too much about wine because I don't drink and my husband drinks very little. Top-notch food is our first priority, but a romantic atmosphere is good, too. We generally prefer smallish, chef-driven restaurants and would be willing to entertain a third option for this dinner if someone has a rec other than Farallon or Aqua.

Thanks!

Check out moosnsgrl recent review of Aqua on the high end SF dining thread: click

Aqua has a beautiful 'big city' ambience and more elegant attire is certainly not out of place.

I prefer both the style and menu offerings of Aqua over Farallon--it would certainly be worth your time to check out their respective menus. Farallon's is definately on-line. Farallon does have a very striking interior design that you may like and can probably get a hint of from their web site.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Try RNM in the lower Haight. Justine Miner's place that has big city flavor with neighborhood feel. It's small but classy. Miner was sous chef with Julia McClaskey @ Dine before branching out on her own. RNM are her father's initials. The Miner family also makes some great wines. The recently released Bordeaux style blend "The Oracle", the red wine drinkers white wine "Wild Yeast Chardonnay" and their perennially great summer release "Rosatto" a fun deeply rich rose of Sangiovese grapes from Mendocino are some of my favorites produced at the Oakville winery.

Edited by barman paolo (log)

I am a big fan of Aqua. I had a fantastic meal (as did the other three people in my party) there is February. If you are looking for thoughtful, creative sauced fish dishes, I can't think of a better place. I don't consider it particularly romantic, however -- it's much more a "big city power restaurant."

I've never been impressed with the food at Farallon. I think the food is overrated just as others have stated. I don't know how to describe it. Generic seafood with no soul? I do think the interior is worth the price of admission at least once.

I had my 30th birthday dinner there several years ago. The waiter was a classic waiter-hoping-to-be-discovered. He thought he was Jack Nicholson or Christian Slater. Slater's already a copy. We don't need a copy of a copy. The girlfriend found the act amusing but I found the guy annoying as hell. He kept interrupting us for no good reason to tell us a joke or something. Attention-getting bastard. Nothing I hate more than being interrupted. Well, the girlfriend was a skinny redhead wearing a dress with a plunging neckline so maybe the guy couldn't help it but it was my birthday not his. :raz: I think it's the only time I've ever found it necessary to have a word with a waiter. I haven't gone back. I've heard many good things about Aqua over the years from friends I trust but strangely I've never made it there.

Edited by esvoboda (log)

• 1 month later...

I've only big to Aqua once, but my meal was excellent.

I've eaten at Farralon twice. The first time I thought the food was fine, although the service was abysmal. Not in the same league as Aqua, though. The second time, both the food and the service were terrible. My carrot soup had so much cream in it that I simply couldn't eat it without wanting to gag.

Go to Aqua. You'll enjoy it.