• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squash recipes needed...

jilli42

I just received quite a few crookneck squash from my co-worker. He has garden at home (lucky, can't wait to get a yard so I can have a garden too ! :biggrin: ) and is always bringing in different vegetables to share.

So, I need interesting suggestions and/or recipes on how to cook them. I would hate to see them go to waste. I just don't buy or prepare them often, although I do enjoy eating them ! :raz:

Thanks !

Today is going to be one of those days.....

jilli42, click on "Search" in the upper right hand corner, type in "squash" in the search field, and click the button that says "Search titles only." You'll find over twenty threads in Cooking alone!

Thanks, didn't think to do that !

Today is going to be one of those days.....

There are several ways I make yellow squash. I love to sautee them with some bacon, onion and garlic. I also use them in soup and vegetable stews.

Here's a recipe I got from a mailing list that sounds interesting. I have yet to try it out though.

Roasted Summer Squash Dip

3 lbs (1350 g) zucchini or yellow squash, halved lengthwise

6-8 whole cloves garlic

1 large onion, peeled and quartered

1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil

1/2 cup (125 ml) packed basil leaves

1/2 cup (125 ml) packed parsley

1/4 cup (60 ml) packed mint leaves

2 Tbs (30 ml) lemon juice, or to taste

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Place the squash, garlic, and onion on a lightly greased baking

sheet and drizzle with a little of the olive oil. Bake in a preheated

375F (190C) oven until the squash is very soft, about 1 hour.

Combine the roasted vegetables with the remaining ingredients

in an electric blender or food processor and puree until smooth.

Serve chilled with pita bread for dipping. Serves 6 to 8.

Stuff 'em!

Cut in half, hollow out the interior with a spoon, fill them with stuffing, bake.

Ideas:

- chopped mushrooms, onions, garlic, half the squash insides, some bread crumbs.

- leftover meat, finely chopped, with any/all of the above.

Fresh herbs (parlsey, basil, tarragon, ect) are a must. Also, I always need to add a small amount of water to the baking pan, and cover tightly with foil for 2/3 the cooking time--otherwise the zucchini doesn't fully cook. Take off the foil towards the end so you get a nice crust on top. Sprinkle with cheese here if you want it.

Don't forget ratatouille!

Here's a good thread with several excellent ideas:

Cooking with crookneck squash.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.