• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tofino

canadian-eh

Just back from 3 days in Tofino. We stayed at the Long Beach Lodge Resort in one of the cottages. The accomodation was wonderful especially as the kitchen was well-equipped and we were able to cook 2 of the 3 nights. We celebrated Valentine's at the restaurant at the Resort and were truly underwhelmed. The kitchen is open and the first table we were seated at was unbearably noisy and right in the traffic path. Dinner for 4 with wine was $375 based on a prix fixe menu. The appetizer choices were interesting but portions small. Mains were a choice of salmon, lamb or beef. The beef was just adequate. And the service was barely there. All in all disappointing for the price.

BUT the food at SOBO was beyond compare - what a find. We ate lunch there every day and everything we ate was fabulous. Lisa and Artie are clearly enjoying themselves and it comes through in the food. What was so wonderful? Shrimp cakes with a great mustard sauce, oysters with the same sauce, chicken sate with peanut sauce, tofu pockets with sushi rice and smoked tuna, Texas chicken chili, fish tacos and a southwestern caesar salad. SOBU is literally a catering truck in a parking lot and you eat at driftwood log picnic tables. But the food is out of this world - Artie says it is the second best thing you can have in a parking lot.

For dessert, suggest you try Chocolate Tofino which is in the same parking lot, at the other end. Gordon Austin has worked as a pastry chef at places such as the Wickinninish Inn and is now indulging himself as a chocolatier. His products are wonderful, inventive and taste divine.

One night we had crab, purchased live from a local crab fisherman. We paired it with a premier cru chablis and were in heaven.

All in all a great weekend. Can highly recommend the cottages at Long Beach Lodge Resort, Chocolate Tofino and SOBU.

Cheers,

Karole

Your right Tofino. My problem was that it was the first place with juice and sustenance as I stumbled out of my 'suite' at the Maquinna after the usual evenings of visits to the Weigh West, Shelter, Coffee Pod (never for coffee, always for beer). I just remember seeing sunflowers somewhere near it - it was always a little alarming at that time in the morning in a hungover state. Probably hallucinating with the sunflowers - some delayed acid flashback from my youth. But of course one needs a semi-solid stomach to brave the 9am forty minute boat ride back to work with a guide who knows your hungover and would like to see you puke cause he couldn't go to town the night before.

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

Went to Tofino this weekend and I can report that SOBO is almost worth the hellacious drive to Longbeach.

Best food in Tofino, and that includes the quite crappy Wikaninish. We tried the Shrimp Cakes, Polentra fries, miso udon, and fish taco. The fish taco was outstanding, in spite of the blue corn tortillia hardshell taco. You know how damn good a taco has to be to include freakin' kiwi and a hard shell and still say it's good?

Definately schedule lunches at SOBO if heading to Tofino.

Although, I have no idea why people head there. It's too far, too expensive and the scenery isn't markedly better than elsewhere on the BC coast. West of Sooke is just as picturesque, less crowded and a better value plus closer. No SOBO though.

I don't know what's the matter with me, but we ate fish tacos at SOBO 2 weeks ago, and I can't honestly rave about them the way others have. I'm not saying the tacos & shrimp cakes we ordered weren't tasty, but I was expecting them to be much better after reading the comments here.

Maybe we hit them on an off day.....

I have been to Tafino 3 or 4 times, last time was probably 3 or 4 years ago when I went sea kayaking with my Venturer Company around Vargas for a week.

Pointe Restaurant at The Wickaninnish Inn - still one of the premier spots in the area, Mike Bebeault is the Senior Sous Chef, worked under both Rodney Butters and Jim Garraway. Reservations for Inn guests only during the summer, although they do open up ressies day of for visitors to the area. Best deal is the Salmon BBQ, Fridays-Sundays from 11:30 - 2pm - yumm.

That BBQ salmon is really good, this is a place I would love to visit during the winter to watch storms, it just feels like a great place to curl up by the fire, and watch the icy furry of a storm outside.

It has been a few years since I have been in Tafino, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the Crab Bar, any comments on a yes/no for this place?

It has been a few years since I have been in Tafino, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the Crab Bar, any comments on a yes/no for this place?

FireWire:

If we are talking about the same place. Crab Bar or Crab House or Crab Shack...the freestanding building on ones left hand side as you drive into the Tofino townsite no one has mentioned it as it has closed.

Last season the site was occupied by a new restaurant called Shelter. We did not get to it during our past visit. It is mentioned in some of the earlier posts above.

While talking about Tofino and crab meals, has anyone ever eaten at the motel which is on the right side of the road just as you get into Tofino?

It has been there for years. It always advertises halibut, salmon and crab meals and in fact I think I spied the sign that used to hang outside the Crab House or Crab Shack there during our last visit in the fall.

It is the one which also indicates that they speak German. Have been going to Tofino for close to 20 years and we have never stopped in.

I don't know what's the matter with me, but we ate fish tacos at SOBO 2 weeks ago, and I can't honestly rave about them the way others have. I'm not saying the tacos & shrimp cakes we ordered weren't tasty, but I was expecting them to be much better after reading the comments here.

Maybe we hit them on an off day.....

JayHay:

Not saying you are wrong at all. We had a similar experience when we ventured up there in the Fall.

However, I did enjoy the fish tacos...would I rave about them? Likely not. But they were good.

My better half had a beef or chicken taco or something to that effect which she did not like at all.

We also shared a soba noodle salad with tahini sauce and greens which was at best, forgettable.

Like you we might have caught the owner on an off day and being later in the afternoon the food might have been better prior to sitting around.

I expect that given the pricey nature of most of the restaurants in town and the type of food they sell, SOBO presents an attractive alternative especially for the folks that live and work in Tofino.

Thank you answering Merlin....I was begining to think we were the only ones who DIDN'T find the food we had at SOBO......

"not just recommended.....a must !!!!!!!!!!!"

"beyond compare....."

"fabulous......"

"outstanding......."

Nice that others did though!

(We were there about 15 minutes after they opened for the day.)

Edited by jayhay (log)

Does the setting play some role in the raves?

We spent the morning walking on the beach at the end of town, I don't know it's name, the one with the boardwalk out to it. I was in a good mood, wife was in a good mood, kids were in a good mood. It was sunny/warm. We were hungry. The owners were friendly. The hippy clientele amusing. Sorry, but white guys with dreads always bring a smile to my face.

Maybe all those things in conjunction work in SOBO's favour.

No booze though, that needs fixing. Or at least a bottle, some glasses and a corkscrew thrown in the trunk.

If we are talking about the same place. Crab Bar or Crab House or Crab Shack...the freestanding building on ones left hand side as you drive into the Tofino townsite no one has mentioned it as it has closed.

:sad:

Haha - you guys are killing me. It appears that anytime a new property opens up anywhere and gets any kind of accolades, someone inevitably decides to lead the charge to knock it down a few notches. Is SOBO good, yes! Is it for everybody, no! Thankfully that is the case for all of Tofino - otherwise everybody would want to live here. Is Tofino beautiful - yes. Is it the most beautiful spot in BC - that would depend on your perspective - but after spending 6 weeks driving down the coastal highway through WA, OR and CA, I still felt upon returning to Tofino that it was a very special place. No one place will ever be paradise for everybody, but for now I will take this little piece of paradise any day over most other spots I have lived - for those of you who think it is overrated or too pricey - perfect, tell all your friends and leave those of us who love our town and what it has to offer to our own means. I see 100 guests a day who visit this area and most (I am smart enough to realize that not all agree) think it is definitely one of the most special spots in Canada if not North America. I didn't think the 'E' in egullet stood for exasperated.

Until next time......

Living it and loving it in Tofino

Living it and loving it in Tofino

DAMN You. Just kidding. It is my dream to have a house in Tofino.

LOL...get in line Erin...I keep buying lotto tickets hoping to be able to afford to buy my dream home on Chesterman....there goes the neighbourhood Tofino/Chris! :biggrin:

Just because I am not "over the moon" about the fare served at SOBO does not mean that I am less than enthused about Tofino. I could not see going there in the midst of the summer rush but in the spring and fall after most people have gone back to work and the kids are in school, it is a special place indeed.

Chris, did you read all the comments at the Montreal section of eGullet when the En Route Magazine included SOBO as one of the best new restaurants in the country? :raz: Talk about noses out of joint! Bus this and bus that.....

Have to chuckle when I look around our house. Bedroom walls with a Katherine Amisson print of Schooner Cove and big photos I took of Cox Bay when we used to stay at Pacific Sands in our pre-golden retriever days.

Downstairs, more work from Katherine Amisson and Roy Vickers...no question where we would rather be.

Oh, well October is not that far off...well, yes it is but I guess I am just going to have to live vicariously until then via the posts from others who have made the trek across the island

Just got back from Tofino. Had a great fish taco at SOBO in a torrential rain / hail storm. Had the fattest double cut pork chop with apple / parsnip compote at Shelter. The perfect way to end a long day out in the elements. Not to be beat was 'Steak Night' at the local branch of the Canadian Legion. $15 bucks for a big one and all the trimmings. Cheap Lucky beer and Crown Royal at the bar. Made me a little teary eyed as I always get memories of going to the Legion with my Grandpa. When I turned 19 and he took me in for my 'first' beer and got to shoot the shit with the cronies. Neat to see a place like the Legion in Tofino where practically the whole town shows up for 'Steak Night'. That doesn't happen just anywhere.

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

• 4 weeks later...

:cool:

I visit Tofino every few years for the kayaking.The last time I was there

our group had our victory dinner at The Schooner. I was really impressed with the food.

I'll never forget it, my son ordered a pinenut crusted halibut fillet, stuffed

with fresh crab meat and shrimp. They also put six big olives in my martini

when I had asked our server for just a few extra!

Great service, and fabulous sea food. The desserts were also wonderful!

My lady ate at Shelter under the newest chef ( #3 since opening) Jesse Blake and found the food the best since it opened not quite a year ago. Jesse has been in Tofino for some time now with years at Schooner and worked with Lisa Ahier at Long Beach Lodge but left when she left. Also sounds like the food at Long Beach Lodge keeps getting worse, also on chef # 3 in 2 years. New chef at the Pointe Restaurant andrew Sprigett ( sp?) is getting very favorable chatter. A poorly written piece out recently in Eat Magazine as well as april issue of sunset has info on dining in Tofino.

I have, but I am biased, lol! Actually comments coming from our guests have been fabulous. The energy at the Wick is at an all time high - bring on summer!! As a side, had the most wonderful evening the other night at Shelter. Dinner and a show for $40. 3 course dinner by Jesse Blake (yes, believe what you read above, he is doing great work), service can still be spotty, but wow as a forum for a concert by Dany Michel (Juno nominated) for 60-75 of us, with an amazing meal - it was a very special night here. Just keeps getting better!!

IT IS OFFICIAL THAT LONG BEACH LODGE HAS LOST YET ANOTHER CHEF, DEPARTING SOMETIME IN MAY. THIS AFTER A FIGHT WITH A LINE COOK IN THE GREAT ROOM. TRILOGY FISH A VERY CAPABLE SMOKEHOUSE IN TOFINO IS ALSO SERVING CRAB AND SHRIMP SANDWICHES THIS SEASON, GMAKES A GREAT PICNIC FOR THE BEACH ALONG WITH A LITTLE OF THEIR CANDIED SALMON AND HOT SMOKED LOCAL ALBACORE.