• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tofino

canadian-eh

THank You for the note Jaeger - tonight's 5 course reads:

I had to shuck 6 dozen friggin kussheis to start......then there was chesses from Hillary's, house cured salmon gravalax, stilton mousse on cucumber, spot prawns as themselves and proscuitto wrapped around guacamole tied with baby leeks.

Vidallia Onion and Apple Cider soup paired with Glenora Fantasia Brut

Organic Yellow and Red Tomato Salad, Thai Basil Vinagrette, Tofino Greens paired with Poplar Grove Reserve Pinot Gris

Orange and Tarrogan (sp- kinda drunk) Sorbet

Seared Sockeye Salmon, butternut squash mash, braising greens and spiced beet broth paired with Mission Hill "Estate" chardonnay

Port Alberni Pork Tenderloin, yam gnocchi, vegetabble fricasse paired with Township 7 merlot

Lemon sabyon pine nut tart, marscapone whip, blueberry coulis paired with St, Hubertus ice wine

The folks here had a good time tonight - one young couple in new love - another a 38 anniversary - a car dealer from Van - another coupole simply from Chicago - and a bunch more - only an hour ago I was serving Hennesy xo / Grand Marnier concotions to the lot soaking in the hot tub before I called it a night.

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

P.S. - the Wick has a good wine list - but ours is gaining steam - last week I sold out all of my Turley "Earthquake" '98 Zin as a lady thought we were having a sale on it at $180.

Also Tim May is now executive chef of both our resorts and primarily works at our Outpost Camp - Mitch Kmecik is our Quait Bay resort chef - he's an amazing guy to work with and is ex sous chef at the Aerie and at Langdon Hall in Ontario.

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

Paul have you guys been very busy, what about Tofino in general, Port has had a busier summer then last year, the Bucket has been very busy this month, we are doing 5000 and up every day, they never stop coming some days, 10 o’clock comes very quickly when you never stop, the sweat pouring of you brow.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

• 1 month later...
I was at Shelter on Saturday, having dinner at the bar and a friend that works there mentioned an e-gulleter came in for a Woodford Bourbon experience - how was it?

We were there last night for the first meal in Tofino. We ended up just making a meal out of appetizers at the bar. Had a great time. Shelter is a very nice place. I think we are going to try to go to Pamplona tonight or possibly friday. Do any of you work there?

Rodney and Elizabeth

Portland, OR

No, but say hello to Rick and Kiera if you end up going on Friday - great spot!

I'll do that. We are going tonight.

I do have a question for you. My wife and I usually end up buying local seafood at retail shops whenever we travel to coastal towns to sample and have as snacks. That seems to be hard to do here. The only shop I've found is the one on Campbell, can't remember the name, and their fish doesn't look fresh they never have small oysters and their crab is more than I would pay in Portland(home). I'm just curious that for a fishing town there seems to be not much for the retail buyer.

I do think this is one of the most beautiful places I have been on the west coast though.

Rodney

The spot to go is Trilogy, which unfortunately has closed until later this fall. They are reknowned in this area for their fresh seafood, and house smoked salmons. The West Coast Fish Market on Campbell (this is the one I think you are speaking of) is very good, and all products should be very fresh. Otherwise you might want to check out the local CO-OP who have as of late been carrying more local fresh seafood. Otherwise, it will have to be through the local restaurants for the best of the fresh.

Have a great time!!

Great to hear the spirit lives on in Tofino.

Just a note;

Their is a little spot with pretty good food and a slightly under-developed wine list in "Ucki."------the Boat Basin offers good seasonal fare in a beautiful&peaceful setting.

I have had two very enjoyable experiences there.

Try it!

Cheers,

M'd

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have successfully "put to bed" the last business file I have to attend to before holidays.

Now looking forward to putting the kennels into the van, loading up "da boyz" [my golden retrievers] and heading off to our annual relax,refresh and revitalize holiday in Tofino.

Chris aka Tofino are you going to be around this visit? We'll be staying about 1/2 way down Chesterman from the Wick. Missed you last year. We will arrive Sunday afternoon and stay until the 27th. Do not think we'll come up the beach for dinner but certainly am looking forward to a nice lunch or two complemented by the wine list at the Wick.

Paul, if you are still out there will phone to see if you are still doing lunches and dinners. Hopefully the weather co-operates.

Mind you, rain or no rain, if you are out in "paradise" enjoying life who gives a @#$%.

......well you might not see the resort Merlin but you may see the aftermath of the drinking that went down over the summer as I am doing the biggest empty run to the Tofino liquorstore that I have ever seen.......it took me two days to organize the stuff and I am sure I will get some looks as I unload it in town.

Hey there Tofino...just stepped out of the "monsoon" and into the internet cafe across from Beaches.

Stopped by the Wick Sunday afternoon and yesterday. Missed you yesterday...imagine, a day off in Tofino? [smile]

Renewed acquaintances with Ike and Ali on Sunday and enjoyed a bottle of Black Hills Alibi on Corey's [?] recommendation with a pizza snack in the lounge awaiting a chance to get into the home on Chesterman.

Yesterday, we wandered up the beach and after asking after you enjoyed a nice lunch and the stunning views in the restaurant. Nice to see another friendly familiar face in Rose. Nice gal. Good lunch washed down with some more Alibi and tried that port-like wine from Alderlea, "Hearty Hearth" or something to that effect...like that "big time".

Will try to get in touch later in the week. Don't expect to try Shelter until the week-end or next week...supposed to be saving money by cooking myself...yeah, yeah right...been here two days and have to the Wick each day. [grin]

• 3 months later...

As this seems to be the top Tofino thread, I'm going to resurrect it briefly.

The two of us and our 2 1/2 old child are going to spend 4 nights in Feburary at the Wickaninnish Inn :biggrin: , maybe a couple of nights in the area before or after. We plan on having one dinner at the restaurant (babysitting provided for guests!), and probably a breakfast and lunch or two, depending on prices. We don't have a lot of money to burn, but will do so occasionally when justified.

My questions for those in the know (I've read this entire thread, going back over two years!):

Are some of the restaurants mentioned seasonal (ie, which ones are open now?)

Which ones will let us take our CHILD, assuming for the sake of argument that even though the child is great, there will be lots of fussing and crying :wacko: when we step into a nice restaurant.

Which ones need reservations in advance? We generally like playing things by ear, but don't want to miss a great meal because we didn't plan correctly.

Sorry for the smilies, they're just so tempting sitting over there. Must...stop....

Thanks, all.

As this seems to be the top Tofino thread, I'm going to resurrect it briefly.

The two of us and our 2 1/2 old child are going to spend 4 nights in Feburary at the Wickaninnish Inn :biggrin: , maybe a couple of nights in the area before or after.  We plan on having one dinner at the restaurant (babysitting provided for guests!), and probably a breakfast and lunch or two, depending on prices.  We don't have a lot of money to burn, but will do so occasionally when justified.

My questions for those in the know (I've read this entire thread, going back over two years!):

Are some of the restaurants mentioned seasonal (ie, which ones are open now?)

Which ones will let us take our CHILD, assuming for the sake of argument that even though the child is great, there will be lots of fussing and crying :wacko:  when we step into a nice restaurant.

Which ones need reservations in advance?  We generally like playing things by ear, but don't want to miss a great meal because we didn't plan correctly.

Sorry for the smilies, they're just so tempting sitting over there.  Must...stop....

Thanks, all.

Welcome to eGullet! You'll likely be hearing from members "tofino", "paul mitchell" and others who live and work in tofino, or nearby. They'll give you much more detailed information than I.

What I can tell you is that:

a) I'm really freakin' jealous! 4 days at the Wick! :blink:

b) Tofino is really laid back, so the locals at least won't be too fussy.

Enjoy your trip and make sure you let us know how it went.

A.

mmmFood, I've been to Tofino several times over the last few years and your best bet is to contact the Wick themselves. Their staff are very helpful and friendly and will be able to answer all your questions. When I stayed there, I made all my dinner reservations at the local restaurants through the front desk, they did a great job.

As for dining at the Wick, I love going there for breakfast. Also, book your spa appointments now :)

I recommend trying Raincoast for dinner. Casual, great food, lots of seafood. There are lots of great food shops in the area too.

You're going to have a great time!

Come on about the Tofino weather Stovetop! - sure we have had 800+ mm's of rain in the last week but that is the joy of living on Tofion Time - mmmfood you are picking a great time to come out our way cause you'll be one of the few people out here - every waiter will be pleased to see you coming and you'll get great service - a lot of places are closed but the Schooner does a good breakfast / brunch and Shelter is always a good place for dinner.

Your right Paul; I would say it would be a great holiday right now like say from Port Alberni, I have to get there one of these days, I dieing to do some good eating and have a few pops.

It has been very warm the last few days, shorts are back on, I love the nights being as warm as they have been, some nice breaks in the day, would make for some beautiful walking on Long Beach.

see you out there

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

If Sobo is open, it is a great lunch option. It is really just a catering truck in a parking lot the staff at the Wick know it well because when we were there last year, they were all eating at Sobo. The food is awesome - the only glitch is that it is al fresco dining, so in the rainy season that can be challenging. But well worth it. Anything on the menu is wonderful but I was smitten with the shrimp cakes. We almost missed our ferry because I refused to leave Tofino without one more lunch from Sobo.

Cheers,

Karole

OK just the facts:

January was wet and a lot of the restaurants were closed, but hey what the hell, February is right around the corner and everyone is back in business - woo-ha. Oh, yeah Paul Mitchell, not too many news reports about the rain in Tofino - haha - 800 mm and we brush it off like its nothing. As we say no such thing as bad weather just bad clothes.

Who is open as of now:

Shelter - 7 days a week - still doing a great job - dinner only

Schooner - 7 days a week - breakfast, lunch and dinner - new lounge opened on right side of room as you enter - nice side option for casual dining

Raincoast Cafe - 7 days a week - new this week Tapa Tuesdays from 7:30pm onwards with live entertainment - regular dining on Tuesdays up til 6:30pm only. Starting Sunday brunch as of the end of January.

Long Beach Lodge - 7 days a week

Pointe Restaurant - 7 days a week - breakfast lunch and dinner

Blue Heron/Weigh West Pub - 7 days a week

The Loft - 7 days a week - 3 meals a day

The Fin Eatery - takeout fish and chip joint in the Beaches parking lot

Big Daddys Fish Fry - daily

Cafe Vincente - soups, sandwiches and great coffee

Coffee Pod - daily

The CommonLoaf - daily

Feb 1st additions (or right around there):

SOBO - thank god - I am down a few fish tacos on my quota

Breakers - reopening for good takeout deli food.

March 1st (or right around there)

Cafe Pamplona - my personal fav - great setting, great food

Tough City Sushi - yeah Crazy Rons place, still a lot of fun with very good sushi

still rumours of a couple of potential new spots for the spring, I will keep all advised as the scenery changes - have a great day!!

Until next time......

Chris

Edited by tofino (log)

OK just the facts:

January was wet and a lot of the restaurants were closed, but hey what the hell, February is right around the corner and everyone is back in business - woo-ha.  Oh, yeah Paul Mitchell, not too many news reports about the rain in Tofino - haha - 800 mm and we brush it off like its nothing.  As we say no such thing as bad weather just bad clothes.

<SNIP>

still rumours of a couple of potential new spots for the spring, I will keep all advised as the scenery changes - have a great day!!

Until next time......

Chris

Awesome info Chris ... you be my hook-up in Tofino! You've saved me some of that Note Bene you snapped up from me, right??

Are you finding the improved Canuck buck is hurting business at all?

Arne

OK just the facts:

January was wet and a lot of the restaurants were closed, but hey what the hell, February is right around the corner and everyone is back in business - woo-ha.  Oh, yeah Paul Mitchell, not too many news reports about the rain in Tofino - haha - 800 mm and we brush it off like its nothing.  As we say no such thing as bad weather just bad clothes.

<SNIP>

Until next time......

Chris

Awesome info Chris ... you be my hook-up in Tofino! You've saved me some of that Note Bene you snapped up from me, right??

Are you finding the improved Canuck buck is hurting business at all?

Arne

High end business is a little off, but the phones are ringing off the hook! As for the Nota Bene it didn't survive the Christmas purge - haha - all tasted fantastic by the way!! Numbers at the Inn looking good through spring and summer - let the floodgates open!!

Chris