• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Produce that's legal in Canada, illegal in U.S.

amytraverso

Hi all-

I was interested in planning a trip to Vancouver to check out the fabled food scene. And I keep hearing this intriguing rumor that one reason the food up there is so terrific is that there's a range of produce for sale -- particularly Asian produce -- that you just can't get here in the States. Which makes it even more interesting.

Can anyone tell me what sorts of fruits and vegetables might fall into this category? I have heard about mangosteens...what else?

Thanks for your help-

Amy

Amy Traverso

californiaeating.blogspot.com

I'm not sure what would be considered "illegal" in the States. Unfortunately, there is a container strike in the city at the moment and even ginger is scarce, so I'm not sure we will have anything different that you can get in CA.

Well I have also heard - second hand - that US laws effectively very much limit the Asian produce that can imported to the land of the free and the home of the brave. If that is correct, then you will find all manner of interesting Asian produce in the markets here. Just take a walk through Chinatown. It's all there. On the street.

And "revasser": do you by chance you live east of the Burrard Street bridge?

Unless you have a penchant for smuggling, forget taking back any fruits and vegetables. I'd set my sights on non-drowsy allergy medication. Last time I checked it was unavailable over the counter in the U.S.

While you are here just eat as much as inhumanly possible.

s

I hadn't realized mangosteens were illegal in the US because they are quite a frequently seen Asian produce seen in our markets. What is their basis for banning mangosteens and not some other fruit.. say, durian.

Apparently they aren't fully illegal in the US - just the ones from S.E. Asia. Check out this article: http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_26/findingaforbidden.html\

Cheers!

There is no method to their madness. You cannot even bring into the US oranges that Canada imported from Florida. Or (I do not know if this is true) Florida oranges to California.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I suppose Sichuan peppercorn is technically produce and definitely banned in the US, although I have been hearing reports of people finding it in stores again.

They decided it's OK to import Sichuan peppercorns to the US if they're heat treated.

I wish we could get good mangosteens in New York. I miss them.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks for all this great information! It's funny...When I was flying from Montreal back to Boston in 2003, the border police looked at the raw milk cheeses and duck rillettes in my bag and just smiled. Perhaps they're stricter when it comes to raw fruits and veggies?

Amy Traverso

californiaeating.blogspot.com

Amy,

it would help if you could give us an idea of what is available in your area? I am not that familiar with US import restrictions.

It does make sense that they would be more strict with fruits and veggies, as you could import disease or parasites or what not to the domestic crop, which would not be the case with the local cheese and rillette crop. :wink:

PS DONT take your Durian on the plane. You will regret it.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

No need to take durian from Canada to the US; it's on sale here. I could see a reason to smuggle durian from Malaysia or someplace else where it's fresh, though.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

No need to take durian from Canada to the US; it's on sale here. I could see a reason to smuggle durian from Malaysia or someplace else where it's fresh, though.

Oh Pan, a lot of people, including many of our friends from KL actually prefer Canadian durian. Our favourite is 'Hockey Bag' brand durian as much for its organic provenance as its authentic aroma.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Oh Pan, a lot of people, including many of our friends from KL actually prefer Canadian durian.[...]

Prefer it to what's available in the US and not Malaysian durian, I guess. :shock:

But you have to consider a risk/benefit analysis.

Disclaimer: I'm not recommending for anyone to smuggle anything from anywhere to anywhere.

Michael aka "Pan"