• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scarlet Tree

Someone in the office said The Scarlet Tree burned down, but I haven't found anything in the news. Can someone let me know?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

King 5 confirmed it but didn't spend more than 10 seconds on the story. I guess it will be in tomorrows paper.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Here's a short article on the fire from the King 5 website.

I don't think I ever went in the Scarlet Tree while I lived in Seattle, but I know the Roosevelt neighborhood well, and as the article says, I suspect the loss of that joint is definitely going to hit a bunch of folks there pretty hard.

I never had a great meal there, but i never had a bad one either. It was a good place to go for a workday lunch or a weekend breakfast. I hope they rebuild. It's the only diner in the neighborhood.

I never had a  great meal there, but i never had a bad one either.  It was a good place to go for a workday lunch or a weekend breakfast.  I hope they rebuild.  It's the only diner in the neighborhood.

I had a number of memorable meals there -- not so much the food as the camaraderie. The Scarlet Tree was home to folks from a variety of social backgrounds who shared a common love of blues and jazz. I will miss the place.

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

The damage estimate was $350K. Wow, it didn't look that bad in the early afternoon. Looks like they had to punch through some bricks up near the roof but that's about it. I didn't get a good look inside but from what I saw it seemed OK, although it's probably smoke-damaged. Only went there a couple of times and it wasn't that good. Maybe if they clean up the mess they'll get the bug to improve.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Wow. I hadn't heard the Scarlett Tree had a fire. Too bad. I didn't go there often, but years ago I lived a block away on 67th & Roosevelt, so would pop over for breakfast sometimes, or once in a blue moon sit at the bar and watch their cable tv sports channel after work. I only managed to get over once for the night time jazz/blues thing, however the vibe at night just wasn't my cup of tea.